FNG in town

DD_1speed

FNG in town

Postby DD_1speed » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:43 pm

Hey kids-

I'm Devin Dahl, moving to KC from Colorado in a few weeks and thought i'd stop by to say hi.

Been living, riding and racing MTB around CO for the last 23 years, but am moving to KC to be nearer to my family in Jeff City.
Looks like there's some rad mountain biking around the city. Our place is fairly close to Swope so prolly be riding there most.

Looking forward to learning the trails and the scene, and once we get settled in I'm stoked to help out with trails and community stuff.

I'll start scouring the forums and be checking group rides once we arrive. If anyone wants to go for a spin and a few beers don't be shy to hit me up. My insta account is @go_then.19 Sorry I couldn't deal with Facebook anymore. Am sure I'll meet a bunch of you soon enough either way.

Let's shred soon. [edit] to summarize: ride bikes, drink beer, get rowdy, single speed, polo....not necessarily in that order. well, beer first and last...
Devin

PS Anyone play grass polo?!!
Last edited by DD_1speed on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssotaku

Re: FNG in town

Postby ssotaku » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Welcome to KC man. Haven't heard of any bike polo around here, but there is a group of ppl that plays bike Friz on Monday nights in Mill Creek Park, just east of the Plaza. The ones I know are very friendly and I think they start at 6PM. A buddy and I might be hitting some trails in the urban core (Kessler or Rozarks) on Thursday after work; charge your lights and lmk if you are down.

DD_1speed

Postby DD_1speed » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks ssotaku. Ill reach out when i can ride. Prolly november.
Looks like i got some work to do getting grass polo going...

Possum

Postby Possum » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:17 pm

As far as I know, not much of a polo scene here. A couple guys play, but it's not my bag, so I don't pay attention to it. I believe they play on (unfrozen) hockey rinks.

We do have a good SS scene here, and plenty of rock. The climbing is different that CO, but we find our ways to get it in. On the upside, the humidity's great. Post up when you get to town. Check out www.urbantrailco.com to get the 411 on local trails and to get hooked up on trail work. Most systems will start the heavy building/maintenance season here shortly, especially after leaf-off.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

Ken Miner

Postby Ken Miner » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:36 am

DD_1speed wrote:Thanks ssotaku. Ill reach out when i can ride. Prolly november.
Looks like i got some work to do getting grass polo going...

Welcome to KC. As others have mentioned and you know, there's plenty of riding in KC. Swope and the eventual connection to Blue River Park (BRP) will give you a 50-70 mile trail system as your local trail. That won't suck.

Friz (ultimate frisbee on bikes) is a lot of fun.

What part of CO are you moving from?
I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I usually show up, shirtless on the TV show, "Cops". Stay thirsty my friends.

dyed

Postby dyed » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Grass polo is way better than hardcourt. Bike Friz is even cooler, but it will be over for the season about the time you get here.

I'd be down for some knobby polo, and I know at least Marco has played before as well. I'm sure we could con a few other idiots into it.
~Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!

http://www.velopluskc.com

Toxis

Postby Toxis » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:25 pm

dyed wrote:Grass polo is way better than hardcourt. Bike Friz is even cooler, but it will be over for the season about the time you get here.

I'd be down for some knobby polo, and I know at least Marco has played before as well. I'm sure we could con a few other idiots into it.

Did you move back to KC?
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

dyed

Postby dyed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:37 am

Yeah, turns out Seattle sucks. You never see the sun and you're surrounded by insufferable tech bros.

So I said ****** it, kept the job, and moved back here.
~Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!

http://www.velopluskc.com

Return to “Mountain Biking”