Questions on Wheels

Postby phayes9891 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 am

These are some specs for the

https://www.performancebike.co...roduct ... 1183999_-1

Deore 29" M525 Disc / Rhyno Lite Mountain Wheel - Rear:

Rim Width:*27.5mm

Skewers Included:*3-cross

Spacing:*10mmx135mm QR rear

Does the 10x135 spacing mean that its O.L.D is 135mm and axle length is 145mm?

When it says rim width is that referring to the outer or inside width?

My current rim is the AT-650, came stock on my trek marlin. The specs I've found for the rear wheel are:

Hub = formula DC-22

O.L.D = 135mm

Axle Width = 145mm

Inner rim width = 20mm

Outer rim width = ~25mm

Quick release

6 bolt disc break

8 speed

I'd be putting a 2.1 in tire on it.

I'm also interested in the Mavic TN719, but am concerned about the thin inner rim width, only 19mm.

Mavic TN719 disc black

Would either of those fit on my current bike without having to do any modifications other than just transferring my cassette and disc? Also would those be an upgrade from my current wheel? I'm looking for something more durable. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Jones
ER Officer

Re: Questions on Wheels

Postby Jones » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:54 am

The link is broken but most manufactures list the Outer dimension of the rim not the inner. The general thinking these days is wider is better. If your present wheel is not broken do not spend your money save it for the next bike much more bang for your buck.
No Guts No Glory, No Brains Same Story

Possum

Postby Possum » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 am

10x135 means that it's a 10mm diameter skewer/shaft, and the OLD is 135mm.
9x135 is the older "standard" skewer (skinny skewer inside a 9mm dia shaft). The 10x135 usually means is a "full diameter" skewer, meaning that instead of having end caps on the ends of the hub the the skewer sits inside (and the frame sits on the endcaps), the end caps end at the frame interface and the frame sits on the actual skewer in the dropout. Either is usually compatible with a "standard" 135mm spaced frame.

I can't find anything on the Sunringle site that confirms whether that's an inner or outer width, but I suspect it's an outer width.

Should be compatible with your bike and cause you no issues.

I wouldn't say that this wheelset is a huge step up in strength compared to your stock wheels. Maybe a little, but not a huge step.

I prefer the Mavic rim to the Sun, but it's a bit narrow by today's standards. Mavic has a bunch of good rims that are a little wider. I'd suggest maybe something close to a 30mm outer width in either a Mavic or DT Swiss rim.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

phayes9891

Postby phayes9891 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:25 am

Jones wrote:The link is broken but most manufactures list the Outer dimension of the rim not the inner. The general thinking these days is wider is better. If your present wheel is not broken do not spend your money save it for the next bike much more bang for your buck.
My bad I'll try reposting it:

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes/P ... 1183999_-1

My current wheel is still usable for now, but I don't think it will last much longer. I'm looking for a cheap strong wheel that will hopefully last a couple years.

phayes9891

Postby phayes9891 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 am

Possum wrote:10x135 means that it's a 10mm diameter skewer/shaft, and the OLD is 135mm.
9x135 is the older "standard" skewer (skinny skewer inside a 9mm dia shaft). The 10x135 usually means is a "full diameter" skewer, meaning that instead of having end caps on the ends of the hub the the skewer sits inside (and the frame sits on the endcaps), the end caps end at the frame interface and the frame sits on the actual skewer in the dropout. Either is usually compatible with a "standard" 135mm spaced frame.

I can't find anything on the Sunringle site that confirms whether that's an inner or outer width, but I suspect it's an outer width.

Should be compatible with your bike and cause you no issues.

I wouldn't say that this wheelset is a huge step up in strength compared to your stock wheels. Maybe a little, but not a huge step.

I prefer the Mavic rim to the Sun, but it's a bit narrow by today's standards. Mavic has a bunch of good rims that are a little wider. I'd suggest maybe something close to a 30mm outer width in either a Mavic or DT Swiss rim.
Thank you for the info and advice on rims. So basically when they say 10x135 the 10 is the difference between the OLD and total axle width, and the 135 is the OLD width?

I'll look into some wider Mavic and DT Swiss rims.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 pm

135x10 means 135mm width by 10mm diameter

I've bought simple cheap wheelsets before, and they are strong and worth it for reliability. For performance, I'm so glad I bought some BHS hubs and some WTB I29 rims. A good wheelset makes a huge difference. I still like my old clunker wheels for exercise, but they just can't compare when I want to go fast and ride stupid.

Alternatives:
Same shimano hub rhynolight wheel, but full the wheelset.
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product2_1 ... _557608_-1

heavy duty downhill rims. more expensive, but wide rims and cartridge bearing hubs. Aluminum freehub body though, so you'll want to get a cassette that uses an alloy carrier. Opportunity to upgrade.
https://www.randombikeparts.com/collect ... o-sram-new
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

phayes9891

Postby phayes9891 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm

watts888 wrote:135x10 means 135mm width by 10mm diameter

I've bought simple cheap wheelsets before, and they are strong and worth it for reliability. For performance, I'm so glad I bought some BHS hubs and some WTB I29 rims. A good wheelset makes a huge difference. I still like my old clunker wheels for exercise, but they just can't compare when I want to go fast and ride stupid.

Alternatives:
Same shimano hub rhynolight wheel, but full the wheelset.
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product2_1 ... _557608_-1

heavy duty downhill rims. more expensive, but wide rims and cartridge bearing hubs. Aluminum freehub body though, so you'll want to get a cassette that uses an alloy carrier. Opportunity to upgrade.
https://www.randombikeparts.com/collect ... o-sram-new
Awesome! Thanks man, that's a great deal, both for just over the price of one.

Return to “Mountain Biking”