Question about discs

expostdelirium

Question about discs

Postby expostdelirium » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:25 pm

My friend's wife is wanting to change her c. 2000 Trek 8000 SL to disc brakes. The fork presents no problem, but I think the rear is on the old 22mm standard. I don't even know where to begin to get that sort of thing. I don't know brands and I don't know if that sort of thing can even be converted. Can it? I would appreciate any advice on brands, consideration, and any other education that can be given on the matter.

Thank you.

dyed

Re: Question about discs

Postby dyed » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:12 am

A2Z makes an adapter from the old 22 mm standard to the more modern brakes. It may not fit in your bike, depending on the frame size

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-A2Z-AD-PMR ... 2924466850
~Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!

http://www.velopluskc.com

watts888

Postby watts888 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:58 am

In my opinion, I'd stick with the rim brake out back. A disc swap up front is fine, because it's easy and that's where most braking power is. Unless you're riding in rain or the rims are seriously out of true, rim brakes still work amazingly well. I'd focus my money on a new set of tires, maybe do a rigid carbon fiber fork swap (with disc brake), and get n+1 bikes.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

expostdelirium

Postby expostdelirium » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:21 pm

dyed, I found those, but didn't know if they'd work. With the size of her frame, it was my thought/feeling that it would be difficult/impossible to fit a caliper in there.

watts, I believe keeping the rim brake out back is the best option. She loves the frame, and has ridden nothing else since it was new. The suspension fork that is on there will accept a disc setup just fine. I have ridden ONLY carbon forks w/ discs for a long time. My buddy and his wife are believers in suspension. I've been trying to convert them for a long time, so I don't see them switching forks.

I think I'll advise them of their options, and I think I'll advise them to keep rim brakes on both ends. I think they'd entertain a new bike if she didn't love this one.

Thank you for the help.

dyed

Postby dyed » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 pm

Rim brakes can work quite well. If they need to be all matchy matchy, trials bikes often run a mullet setup, with the same hydraulic lever for both sides.
~Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!

http://www.velopluskc.com

watts888

Postby watts888 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:00 pm

expostdelirium wrote: I think they'd entertain a new bike if she didn't love this one.

Try something new. Technology has come a long way, and some of the bikes that are out right now are super nice. Wide rims and bigger wheels make a huge difference in corner confidence. Climbing isn't as easy as a feather weight skinny tire, but the descents are so much more fun.

Possum

Postby Possum » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:59 am

Are the wheels set up for disc? It doesn't really look like it.

If you don't have 6-bolt hubs, you'll need to buy new wheels, which will pretty much make this cost prohibitive.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

expostdelirium

Postby expostdelirium » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:45 pm

I've got a set of wheels w/ disc hubs, but I'm pretty sure we aren't going to do the swap anymore.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:29 pm

expostdelirium wrote:... but I'm pretty sure we aren't going to do the swap anymore.

Good. Keep a cool bike the way it's supposed to be.

Return to “Mountain Biking”