Avid Elixir 9 brake rant...

PlanetTony

Avid Elixir 9 brake rant...

Postby PlanetTony » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:11 am

First, my apologies to those who like/love Avid hydraulic disc brakes - I'm gonna bitch, but it's not personal. We all have our own unique likes and dislikes. Me? I recently bought a sweet used single-speed in hopes a little "new(to me) bike fever" might motivate me to the trails. I bought the bike even though it had Elixir 9's on it. I don't like the levers and as one who dabbles in trials, I don't care much for built-in modulation - that's what fingers are for - I want my shit "on/off" and I'll worry about the in-between...

So...the rear brake seemed exceptionally spongy and the reach and engagement adjusters a) seemed to work against each other and/or b) have opposite of intended effect. As one who's bled hydraulic brakes since the HS22's of 1992, I thought I'd give that a go on these, albeit without the over-complicated Avid bleed kit. That was a complete and total failure no matter how creative I got. Now I have a rear brake that works no better than before, yet also has brake fluid scattered about various surfaces. *Shame on me for trying it without appropriate tools/"kit". Shame on anybody that makes a brake requiring that much investment in something as simple as bleeding.

Now...for those Avid lovers still reading that don't just want to slam me for my expressions, should you have any bikes you just wish you could afford some Elixir 9's for, let me know. I am frustrated enough to let them go cheap or trade for something that works better for ME. Say...something easier to bleed, better adjustments, and non-DOT fluid. Hell, I'd entertain trading for some flipping Tektro mechanical disc brakes at this point...

OK...carry on. I'll be shopping for $$$ bleed kit or lowest level Shimano brakes...
If it has two wheels, (and...a motor, apparently/lately...) I wanna ride it!

2010 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2015 KTM 200 XCW
Giant XTC Advanced 27.5"
Giant TCR Advanced 1
Felt F65x
Echo Pure

jlbay

Re: Avid Elixir 9 brake rant...

Postby jlbay » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:04 am

I have an avid kit at my house you can use. I've never used it to know if it's all there.

Possum

Postby Possum » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:29 am

Avid makes great mechanicals, and I love my BB7's.

They make shit hydraulic brakes that I hope to never, ever, use again. I'm an XT fanboy. Super easy to set up and bleed, and great feel/power. No more stupid spongy Avid brakes for me.

Rant on brother.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

Muther

Postby Muther » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:12 pm

BB7’s FTW
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Jones
ER Officer

Postby Jones » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:03 pm

BB7 is junk next to TRP Spyke
No Guts No Glory, No Brains Same Story

dyed

Postby dyed » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:28 am

I actually love the Guide / Level series. Yes, I even prefer them to XT...

I actually run Formula on any of my bikes that will be in the fleet for a while.

Elixirs really were a pain to bleed properly though
~Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!

Return to “Mountain Biking”