Another Seepy spot.....Fixed

Trail Information | Check trail status
Dave Smith

Another Seepy spot.....Fixed

Postby Dave Smith » Wed May 07, 2014 11:47 am

The trail gnomes were out at Landahl again last Friday afternoon (trail gnomes love those banker's hours), systematically getting rid of the troubled spots. We finally took care of a seep that has been bugging me for YEARS. It is only a problem in Spring, or after a series of heavy rain, so it has been easy to ignore, most of the time.

Circle marks the spot. There has been a small seep on the lower part of this turn for many years.

Much like an iceberg, you only see the tip of the total amount of rock we hauled down to this seep. We use 3lb mallets to smash big rocks into 2-3" pieces. We pound these 2-3" rocks into the mud in order to raise the tread and displace the water seeping from the ground. We then add finer gravel over the tread surface to smooth things out and fill in the gaps between the larger rocks. This is the most effective way we have found to deal with these seeps.

Note the nick/deberming on the lower half of the turn. This was added to remove any water running down the fall line section of the 180 degree turn before it gets to the graveled in seep area.

We set a section of a downed oak tree in place to create a choke point, forcing trail users to cross the hardened/armored seep area at the location of our choice. The trail had been widened to at least 8 feet from people going around the seep.

We have at least 1 more seep we need to address, along with general de-berming throughout the park. Weed-eating season will be here in just a few weeks too. Shoot me a message if you are interested in getting involved with maintenance at Landahl. We could use your help!

breed007

Re: Another Seepy spot.....Fixed

Postby breed007 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:58 am

Awesome guys.

kingsquat

Postby kingsquat » Wed May 07, 2014 12:51 pm

Excellent!

FlatLander

Postby FlatLander » Wed May 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Nice work gnomes. Wish I had your hours so I could participate as well.
Micah Luffman

Possum

Postby Possum » Thu May 08, 2014 7:54 am

Nice work guys. I'll be up there to help weed eat when you guys get going on that. I've been spending quite a bit of time on my little project lately, but I need to get back on the bike soon.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Thu May 08, 2014 8:56 am

Thanks guys, looks great, should help that spot for years to come.

Return to “Landahl Park”