Muddy trails

Trail Information | Check trail status
goster

Muddy trails

Postby goster » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:10 pm

I don't know how long landahl usually takes to dry out. Do you guys think it will be rideable by friday 01/23?

Geezer

Re: Muddy trails

Postby Geezer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:53 pm

Hard to say with any certainty. Problem is, when the ground freezes overnight, the moisture is trapped in the soil and cannot evaporate until the soil warms the next day. So it takes a long time for the trail to dry.

I have ridden Landahl a zillion times and feel it will be too wet Fri. Hope I am wrong.

I'm sure additional info will be posted re: trail conditions.

Terry
Terry - save the trails

Sasquatch1413

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Trail statuses are listed on the main forum page, index.php. Closed now. Will be open when someone posts it as open.
My what big wheels you have.

Somefearinhere

Postby Somefearinhere » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:55 am

goster wrote:I don't know how long landahl usually takes to dry out. Do you guys think it will be rideable by friday 01/23?

go check and report back...that would be awesomeness.
Max

All Religions Are Fairy Tales

Ogar

Postby Ogar » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:56 am

goster wrote:I don't know how long landahl usually takes to dry out. Do you guys think it will be rideable by friday 01/23?

I do not think it will be rideable by Friday. Please help spread the word. We posted it closed last Friday but when I went out on Saturday to do some trail work the parking lot was packed and everyone's bikes were muddy. I haven't seen all of the trails myself but I've heard they are pretty messed up because of peoples lack of respect, courtesy, and/or knowledge.
Nice pour shitballs! -- Scott Cotter, 2013 Bikes -n- Brew

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:29 am

Ogar wrote:

I do not think it will be rideable by Friday. Please help spread the word. We posted it closed last Friday but when I went out on Saturday to do some trail work the parking lot was packed and everyone's bikes were muddy. I haven't seen all of the trails myself but I've heard they are pretty messed up because of peoples lack of respect, courtesy, and/or knowledge.

That's true, Swope when I ran it Monday morning was badly rutted in all the north slope wet spots on Rancho. I rode BRP when it was marginal and avoided the bad spots, but every one was already pretty rutted.

If the trails are good during the day right now, they may stay that way. However, I figured Landahl would no good Friday. If it isn't good now, the weather pattern this week is not likely to help. Every day dropping below freezing at night, we are in the classic freeze/thaw cycle common to our area. For example, even BRP they were hopeful about but it wasn't quite there and the cycle ensured it wouldn't get there. Even more tantalizing as each day is in the 40-50 range for a high, which is pleasant for this time of year. Personally I am used to riding in cold weather, so even though I have enjoyed the nice weather, it is bittersweet. When the highs are 25F and lower I am more happy as I can ride and know the trails are not getting torn up, those that don't like the cold just aren't riding and those that do aren't screwing them up for everyone else.

That said, it is cold enough at night now that early morning is good. Thursday night should go down to 25, if you want to ride Landahl Friday, do it before 10am at latest! I mean ending before 10am, not start time...to be safe I'd say try to end by 9am. Just depends how low it drops....if warmer than forecast, better ride at 7am...

goster

Postby goster » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:25 pm

It was far to muddy thursday when i went to check it out. Im guessing it will be another week atleast now after this rain

pitdaddy

Postby pitdaddy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:28 am

Not wanting to start a new thread thought I'd mention I was at Landahl around 6pm yesterday. The path back to Family/Dave's is good to go.

Family was in great shape. There were two wet places. One was a small spot about 2'. Lifted the bike over. The second was about 8'. I walked the bike over it gracefully as to not leave tracks.

Dave's maze was clear with the exception of one small spot. Again I just lifted the bike and stepped over.

Figured Will's was wet being on the east side of the ridge so I didn't bother riding it.

Return to “Landahl Park”