Tick season

Trail Information | Check trail status
Dragonback07

Tick season

Postby Dragonback07 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:40 pm

This most likely goes without saying but anyone heading out to Smithville Lake, or any other trail, I recommend spraying yourself with some Deet. I picked off 3 Lone Star Ticks yesterday and there have been reports of a virus (Powasan virus) making a comeback that is contributed by tick bites. So just a heads up since I was a dummy and didn't heed my own advice.

watts888

Re: Tick season

Postby watts888 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:06 am

Lucky, I haven't had any bite yet, but did have one crawling on me at BURP.

If you're not anti-chemical, spray your clothes with Permethrin. Sawyers permethrin at wallyworld is under $10, and enough to spray shoes and socks at a minimum.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Mon May 15, 2017 9:12 am

watts888 wrote:Lucky, I haven't had any bite yet, but did have one crawling on me at BURP.

If you're not anti-chemical, spray your clothes with Permethrin. Sawyers permethrin at wallyworld is under $10, and enough to spray shoes and socks at a minimum.

I say we get a couple of 50 gallon drums of permethrin and use drones (insomnious, are you listening?) to crop dust all the local trails.
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

tomy

Postby tomy » Tue May 16, 2017 3:28 pm

another we need that indoor bike park....

Dragonback07

Postby Dragonback07 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:49 pm

watts888 wrote:Lucky, I haven't had any bite yet, but did have one crawling on me at BURP.

Does it have a yellow label and stays on your clothes for a wash or two? Someone got me some spray that you apply to your clothes and is supposed to last for a few washes. This is the first year that I have found ticks crawling on me. I think we are gonna have a lousy year of bugs. :?

Dragonback07

Postby Dragonback07 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:52 pm

tomy wrote:another we need that indoor bike park....

I could handle something like this: https://youtu.be/PcRF9uxiHws

watts888

Postby watts888 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Dragonback07 wrote:Does it have a yellow label and stays on your clothes for a wash or two? Someone got me some spray that you apply to your clothes and is supposed to last for a few washes. This is the first year that I have found ticks crawling on me. I think we are gonna have a lousy year of bugs. :?

Yes. it lasts multiple washes. I spray socks and shoes usually once a year, and I'm good. This is in addition to deet spray, because f-ing ticks.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Return to “Smithville Lake”