Weed Eating?

Trail Information | Check trail status
jayhawk73

Weed Eating?

Postby jayhawk73 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Joe/Pete --

I rode out at Kill Creek tonight and noticed Hank was a little scruffy. I'm sure Eddy is looking the same. I can't do anything this weekend but I can be out there next weekend for a few hours. I can swing by and pickup a weedeater and go at it alone if you guys don't have time to go out there.

Olathejoe

Re: Weed Eating?

Postby Olathejoe » Thu May 06, 2010 9:30 pm

I was out there last night and I think it's almost ready to weedeat. If we do it too early we'll have to do it two or three times, if we wait a couple more weeks probably only twice at the most. We are working at SMP Saturday to get some of the new stuff opened up, you should come help out there. That's where the trimmers will be anyway.
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

jayhawk73

Postby jayhawk73 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:59 pm

Olathejoe wrote:I was out there last night and I think it's almost ready to weedeat. If we do it too early we'll have to do it two or three times, if we wait a couple more weeks probably only twice at the most. We are working at SMP Saturday to get some of the new stuff opened up, you should come help out there. That's where the trimmers will be anyway.

I have a class all day Saturday and I'm killing stuff in the morning on Sunday then off to mom's day stuff in the afternoon. That's why I said I was busy this weekend but could do something next weekend. :roll:

Geezer

Postby Geezer » Fri May 07, 2010 6:37 am

Thu at Kill Creek I spent about two hours lopping the difficult trail and maybe one hour riding it. It needed the lopping. I got a couple hundred of the worst ones. Some still remain, though.

I think I had zero Kill Creek rides, at least on the tough trail, in 2009 (f*ckin back pain, grrrrr). Yesterday was the first time I saw either of the two trees across the trail just west of the creek.

Yea, the first tree is stupid as I got scratched in the face riding over it. After riding over it again on the return trip I stopped and cleaned up the area. Did not attempt to move the tree. But if a broken down 65 year old with a no good right hand and 26in tires rides it both directions the first time he sees it - who needs it for a challenge?

The second tree is not stupid.

Riding the dry creek bed was an adventure. Last time I rode it there was practically a burned in semi-decent line. Not so yesterday. :) I managed it with one brief stall, no walking and no fall down.

Finally, how do you peeps cross the creek? I used to always always ride it, but after falling down in the middle of the creek a time or two I started tiptoeing across the rocks outbound, and riding across on the return. But yesterday I walked it both ways. :oops: :oops: My shoes and socks and feets hated it. Especially how my feets were slipping around in the soaked shoes.

Anyway, I need a better method to cross the creek.

Terry

pitbull

Postby pitbull » Fri May 07, 2010 6:57 am

Geezer wrote:Finally, how do you peeps cross the creek? I used to always always ride it, but after falling down in the middle of the creek a time or two I started tiptoeing across the rocks outbound, and riding across on the return. But yesterday I walked it both ways. :oops: :oops: My shoes and socks and feets hated it. Especially how my feets were slipping around in the soaked shoes.

Terry

I mostly walk it now - but take the time (and hassle) to remove my shoes & socks first. I don't like riding in wet socks & shoes.

The big paver "sidewalk" we put in years ago are so slippery due to being covered in algae. We've tried scraping them in the past but it doesn't last long. The only other good alternative is to avoid the sidewalk and ride through the rip-rap just upstream of the sidewalk. Joe seems to have good luck with that - main problem is that it can be deep if the creek's up even a little.

We've been talking about what can be done...raising the sidewalk into more of a bridge doesn't seem like a workable solution - it'd be washed away with the first big rainfall. A large bridge across the entire thing would work, but $$$ (and still the possibility of it being washed away when the creek swells. We've thought about asking to gain access to the bridge that's downstream a ways, but it's on the other side of the Sunflower fence, and I think getting access would be doubtful. We've also talked about possibly moving the crossing to a different location.

Lots of talk...no really good solution (yet). :cry:
The essence of mountain biking is, and always has been, about riding your bike off road. Lycra/baggy, up/down, fast/slow - whatever. Just ride your bike. ~ Keith Bontrager

Tim Greene

Postby Tim Greene » Fri May 07, 2010 10:36 am

pitbull wrote:
Geezer wrote:Finally, how do you peeps cross the creek? I used to always always ride it, but after falling down in the middle of the creek a time or two I started tiptoeing across the rocks outbound, and riding across on the return. But yesterday I walked it both ways. :oops: :oops: My shoes and socks and feets hated it. Especially how my feets were slipping around in the soaked shoes.

Terry

I mostly walk it now - but take the time (and hassle) to remove my shoes & socks first. I don't like riding in wet socks & shoes.

The big paver "sidewalk" we put in years ago are so slippery due to being covered in algae. We've tried scraping them in the past but it doesn't last long. The only other good alternative is to avoid the sidewalk and ride through the rip-rap just upstream of the sidewalk. Joe seems to have good luck with that - main problem is that it can be deep if the creek's up even a little.

We've been talking about what can be done...raising the sidewalk into more of a bridge doesn't seem like a workable solution - it'd be washed away with the first big rainfall. A large bridge across the entire thing would work, but $$$ (and still the possibility of it being washed away when the creek swells. We've thought about asking to gain access to the bridge that's downstream a ways, but it's on the other side of the Sunflower fence, and I think getting access would be doubtful. We've also talked about possibly moving the crossing to a different location.

Lots of talk...no really good solution (yet). :cry:

Tunnel under the river.... This could be the first of its kind... :D
--------- __o
------- _`\<,_
------ (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Geezer

Postby Geezer » Fri May 07, 2010 10:44 am

I will try the remove shoes and socks routine. Heck, I took my shoes off anyway following the initial crossing.

And, yea, there are some holes in the creekbed!

Terry

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Mon May 31, 2010 2:35 pm

Kevin D, Jason, and Joe spent their morning weedeating at Kill Creek today. Got all of Hank (easier side) done, still need to get over to Eddy. I'll be out Next Saturday at the latest for to work on Eddy. Hopefully sooner, but the schedule is kinda full this week already.

Thanks for the help guys.
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

Return to “Kill Creek & Lexington Lake”