Copperhead

Trail Information | Check trail status
MTOMOB

Copperhead

Postby MTOMOB » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Noob to ER, been riding for 3 years, reading ER for 2. Must say you all are some grumpy, cynical, funny people and I love it. I definitely feel I "belong" here with you all. Anyways, I've been meaning to join for a long time now, but just did today. I rode Kill tonight, went down the easy trail, did the loop bothways, headed down to cross the creek. Rode the otherside clockwise on the loop and headed back to the creek. By now I was uber tired, and shaken silly from that B**** of a trail, and I think its a good thing. On approach to the biggest log I hit both brakes 100%, screeching fn halt. Right side of the trail about 2 feet before the log was the biggest Copperhead I've ever seen. Im not sure if it was there when I jumped the log going the other way, but there it was, all coiled up. Kinda freaked out, walked the bike to the left a good 20 feet and rode on. Wish I had my phone with me for "proof" for all of you cynical people, but there is no doubt in my mind that it was for sure a f'n COPPERHEAD!

ptooi
Site Admin

Re: Copperhead

Postby ptooi » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Hey jerk, pics or it didn't happen.

Just kidding, and welcome. :D

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:51 pm

Yeah, welcome. And can you make it out tomorrow night? I'm going to need someone to lead the Humpday ride on Eddy.

:shock:
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

JonDot

Postby JonDot » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Olathejoe wrote:Yeah, welcome. And can you make it out tomorrow night? I'm going to need someone to lead the Humpday ride on Eddy.

:shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tim Greene

Postby Tim Greene » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Come on Joe. The only snakes that bite are the ones you see. If you don't see them they are just a rumor and don't really exist....
--------- __o
------- _`\<,_
------ (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MTOMOB

Postby MTOMOB » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:46 pm

He exists no doubt. Makes me wonder how many there really are. Im sure they are everywhere, we just don't see them. I might make it out tmrw, if she let's me two days in a row (you all know what I mean, don't lie). Im sure youre all above and beyond my skill level. Just got candy 2's (first pedals) two months ago, damn near destroyed allready, thanks mostly to Eddy. I step off a lot, mostly to save myself from large amounts of pain. But now im not sure i want to step off with the risk of even more pain dealt to me by a camo'd snake. :|

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:47 pm

MTOMOB wrote:the biggest Copperhead I've ever seen.

I think even I would have seen this one Tim. Even though MTO is new here, I can already sense he's not one to use hyperbole just to rile up the masses. Note the absence of the explanation point at the end of his sentence about The BIGGEST COPPERHEAD HE'D EVER SEEN! See, even I can't help but to get excited about it.

MTOMOB

Postby MTOMOB » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Haha, in truth I've only ever seen one in the wild, prbly 15 years ago. All others have been behind glass. And im not sure "excited" is the correct emotion, I certainly was NOT! But it did prompt me to pay my $25.

MountainBikerJRA

Postby MountainBikerJRA » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:41 am

I was riding up at Smithville last summer and came around a blind corner only to see some weirdo on an Intense mountain bike and wearing all black. This dude was picking up a three foot long copperhead like it was a puppy dog or something. He grabbed a stick from a neighboring tree, then used it was a way manipulating the snake to safer ground. And the whole time I'm standin' there, the dude kept talking to it and me like I was on a live taping of the damb episode of the Crocodile Hunter; Giving me details like it's a female snake, probably pregnant *(he used some other reptile-word for pregnant).

At any rate, I guess snakes are a common trail "rider" that we will frequently encounter so I guess we can just agree that we're mostly afraid of them and they're mostly afraid of us so we can politely point our paths in different directions and go about our ways in peace.

But to the man in black out there, who ever you are, you might take it easy with handling those venomous snakes. And much as I want to see all trail-encountered critters live safe & sound, moving venomous reptiles was something this dude did without any more fear or hesitation that one of us removing a kitty cat from the trails. You seemed to handle that angry copperhead as if it were your pet or something and I was cool with that. But for the rest of you, If you don't know what you're doing, just leave snakes in general alone. But go figure, to each his own. He didn't say much; mostly just gave me a calm eye and said that he'd have the snake removed in no time and there's no reason to worry. I wasn't worrying much, since I wasn't the one holding a venomous snake at the time.

tomy

Postby tomy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:20 am

MountainBikerJRA wrote:But to the man in black out there, who ever you are...

Did he also tell you how he stocks, then removes, piranhas in Blue River? :roll:

Possum

Postby Possum » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:36 am

I think it was Chuck Norris.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

damage26

Postby damage26 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:59 pm

F'n hillarious. I amost rolled right over a very plump one at Smitville, thought it was a root til it moved. Had me shaken up for awhile.

Mnason
ER Officer/Site Admin

Postby Mnason » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Last night a guy and his kid said they spotted a rattlesnake on the paved walk away at Kill Creek. He said it knew they were there since it was rattling pretty good at him. I went looking for it but didn't see anything for myself

LNTmatt

Postby LNTmatt » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:38 pm

We definitely have a healthy population of Timber Rattlesnakes at Kill Creek along the streamway trail. Year round water, deep limestone for winter, plus prairie full of rodents. Bingo.

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:20 pm

LNTmatt wrote:We definitely have a healthy population of Timber Rattlesnakes at Kill Creek along the streamway trail. Year round water, deep limestone for winter, plus prairie full of rodents. Bingo.

Thanks for that little tidbit. Thanks a lot.

Olathe Joe
Resident snake disliker

Return to “Kill Creek & Lexington Lake”