Entrance/Exit ramps for the woodies

Trail Information | Check trail status
Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:45 pm

I passed by while Pete was working and I approve of the work he did. :)

That's not true. I did stop and impede his progress for about 20 minutes before I passed. I did approve of the work though.

FYI: There is a big tree down on the connector trail. Just after the big rock bridge. It's ridable, but doesn't really fit on what is supposed to be a beginner trail so we'll get to it soon.
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

Burnsey

Re: Entrance/Exit ramps for the woodies

Postby Burnsey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Whats the official scoop on the skinnies?

I was out riding a few days ago, had a great time, did not fall in the river and was super excited to ride the skinnies on Eddy. It seems that ALL of the entrance/exit ramps for the raised skinnies have been removed. I noted that the logs (skinnies) themselves are starting to rot but at the same time feel they are substantial enough to still roll and I still believe they are a viable part of that trail.

Is there a reason the ramps have been removed?

Are we (ERTA, Joe, Etc.) allowed to fix these?

If all that is needed is supplies, time and energy to do the work, I would be happy to make it happen on my time and dollar.
Remember; Don't be too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.
http://singlespeedpirate.blogspot.com/

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:45 pm

Bovine wrote:If all that is needed is supplies, time and energy to do the work, I would be happy to make it happen on my time and dollar.

Go for it.

We took the ramps out because the smaller logs that made up the ramps were rotting away exposing the top of the wood screws. They looked dangerous and likey to puncture someones tire at best, put an eye out at worst.

I've had other priorities out there, so the ramps haven't made it to the top of the list. I was actually waiting for someone that rides the skinnies to volunteer to fix them. Looks like my plan worked too. You know me, I ride a 29er so I can ride around all the difficult stuff. 8)

Burnsey

Postby Burnsey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:32 pm

As I get time over the next few weeks I'll try and get out there and do some work. Is the idea of spit logs as tread still what is wanted (I read this in a previous post from way back) or can we go with some treated lumber (I can stain it dark to "blend in with the environment", and it should last longer).
Last edited by Burnsey on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember; Don't be too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.
http://singlespeedpirate.blogspot.com/

pitbull

Postby pitbull » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Bovine wrote:As I get time over the next few weeks I'll try and get out there and do some work. Is the idea of spit logs as tread still what is wanted (I read this in a previous post from way back) or can we go with some treated lumber (I can stain it dark to "blend in with the environment", and it should last longer).

Split logs for the tread is preferred for aesthetics. IIRC the previous ramps used a combination of treated lumber and logs for the supports and joists. Treated lumber is OK as long as it's only really visible by close inspection.

The previous logs used for the ramps were cut from hackberry trees, which are all over the place there, grow straight, and are easy to split. Decent rot-resistance too from what I'm told (stripping the bark helps a lot).
The essence of mountain biking is, and always has been, about riding your bike off road. Lycra/baggy, up/down, fast/slow - whatever. Just ride your bike. ~ Keith Bontrager

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Let me know when you think you might get out there to work on this and I might join you. I have a bob trailer that saves from having to walk the tools and material down the trail.

Return to “Kill Creek & Lexington Lake”