Thursday Night Throwdowns

shoffner

Thursday Night Throwdowns

Postby shoffner » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:14 pm

SWOPE THURSDAY NIGHT THROWDOWNS

August 6 & 20; September 3 & 17; October 1, 15 & 29

Swope Park Trailhead 6 pm.

Formats will switch between Individual Time Trials, mass start group races, and whatever else we can come up with. Check the earthriders forum for the latest info.

These are informal “show-and-go” friendly competitions with no prizes, podiums, or entry fees. Bragging rights only!!

In addition to the throwdowns, and for the uninformed:

There is an Earthriders group ride starting at the Swope trail head 6 pm EVERY THURSDAY. Come be a part of the best group ride in the Metro!!!

Questions/Ideas?
Earthriders forum-->racing-->Thursday night throwdowns OR bscm8@umkc.edu (Brett Shoffner)

_________________________________________________________________________________

e-mail me for a printable flyer.

PS--since I am computer dumb, if I send the word document to someone, can they post it up here for all to see? thanks!
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi
Powered by Volker Bicycles

Cairns
Site Admin

Re: Thursday Night Throwdowns

Postby Cairns » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:20 pm

What we need is an old school time punch machine. Everybody gets their own card, punch it, do a lap and punch it again. Not sure if they record down to the second though.

111011 101101 101001

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Cairns wrote:What we need is an old school time punch machine. Everybody gets their own card, punch it, do a lap and punch it again. Not sure if they record down to the second though.

Indeed! I've been trying to think about how I can time to the second without having to carry around 100000 stopwatches.

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES

Team Colavita/Parisi
Powered by Volker Bicycles

crs

Postby crs » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:30 pm

shoffner wrote:
Cairns wrote:What we need is an old school time punch machine. Everybody gets their own card, punch it, do a lap and punch it again. Not sure if they record down to the second though.

Indeed! I've been trying to think about how I can time to the second without having to carry around 100000 stopwatches.

carry one watch, write down exact time they leave, exact time they come around, exact time they come around again.

do math later. if you're really lazy, get someone to bring a laptop and do some time functions in excel to figure it up automatically after a little bit of data input.

i'd volunteer but i'm never a sure thing on Thursdays. more importantly, i'm lazy.
chris

Michael Gier

Postby Michael Gier » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:13 pm

Crs, I think they're trying to reduce the staffing level necessary for an event like this. A full-time timekeeper isn't in the budget.

I saw a timeclock at a flea market once and passed it up. Wish now I hadn't.
Michael Gier
"If you don't like the system, all you have to do is change it. There's no magic key to the kingdom. Show up on a regular basis and get involved. You'll soon have more than you asked for."Todd Posson

Cairns
Site Admin

Postby Cairns » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:32 pm

I've got a little program I put together than runs on an old Compaq iPaq that I've used for scoring underground races. I've still got the iPAQ, it needs to be charged but I'm pretty sure it still works. I'd have to scrounge around to find the program. Basically, you enter everyone's name into a local web page and it has a start/stop button for each person. The results can be copy and pasted into Excel for scoring. I probably couldn't get it together in time for this week but maybe we make this an ongoing thing and change the venue every week.
111011 101101 101001

crs

Postby crs » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:49 pm

Michael Gier wrote:Crs, I think they're trying to reduce the staffing level necessary for an event like this. A full-time timekeeper isn't in the budget.

I saw a timeclock at a flea market once and passed it up. Wish now I hadn't.

have everyone enter in their time manually when they come around, throw it into excel later. honor system should be good enough among a group like this and no prizes on the line.

you're idea is good for when you need to keep track of people.

could also make a program and have it running on a laptop and you gotta enter your pin for it to log your time. :D
chris

Possum

Postby Possum » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:34 am

pulling off of crs:

Hang a stopwatch at the interesection and start it. Hang a clipboard with a pen under it, and people write down their own times. If you gotta cheat on a braggin' rights race, you're a douche.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

Tim Greene

Postby Tim Greene » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:12 am

I think just about everyone who has a heart rate monitor, bike computer, etc has their own stop watch. My luck would be someone would reset the stop watch while writing down their score, if I used that as my timing device....
--------- __o
------- _`\<,_
------ (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:34 am

crs wrote:carry one watch, write down exact time they leave, exact time they come around, exact time they come around again.

this is how I was thinking it would probably work, but I don't own a watch :?

and +1 for todd's idea/comment

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES

Team Colavita/Parisi