Honey Run Trail Description

Possum

Honey Run Trail Description

Postby Possum » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:21 am

After a lot of cajoling from Joe Folse, I finally wrote the below description of the trail. Someone will need to sticky this, as I don't think I have the power.

The Honey Run Trail at Lake of the Ozarks State Park is approximately 9 miles of secluded singletrack trail nestled quietly into the Ozark wilderness. It is a "stacked loop" system that allows trail users to sample parts of the trail or enjoy the entire trail. Overall technical ability of the trail is intermediate. Overall fitness ability of the trail is intermediate to advanced. The preferred route is a clockwise "out and back," beginning by riding out the Connector Trail to the South Loop (clockwise), then the North Loop (again, clockwise) and the riding the Connector Trail back to the McCubbin Trailhead for a total of approximately 11.5 miles. Please be advised that some sections of this trail are very sensitive to damage if ridden during wet conditions. Please use common sense and do not ride this trail when wet, as it is maintained 100% by volunteers. While it is certainly open to hikers, the Honey Run Trail was built by mountain bikers for mountain bikers. Much of the bench cut on the trail was performed with a Toro Dingo mini skidsteer, but we hope you can't tell. :)

The "Connector Trail" is a 2.25 mile "out and back" stem that provides your access to the North and South Loops. It is a flowing, downward-trending trail that begins at the McCubbin trailhead (just north of Anderson Hollow Road) and spits you out on Anderson Hollow Road (gravel) near two low-water crossings. There are periodic rock sections that will challenge some riders, but the overall technical level of this trail is beginner to intermediate. Riding from the McCubbin trailhead to Anderson Hollow, the fitness level of this trail is also in the beginner to intermediate range. Riding up from Anderson Hollow to McCubbin is a bit more of a challenge, since it's primarily uphill, but it's still not too difficult. The uppper 0.25 miles of this trail goes through a somewhat rare ecosystem in Missouri called an "upland wetland" that is very sensitive to rain. This section has been armored with rock to protect the land, but it is still sensitive to use in wet weather.

The South Loop is a fast, fairly flat 2.25 mile loop through a lowland valley. There is very little climbing on this loop, and many sections really allow you to 'open it up' and cruise though its flowing turns at whatever speeds your legs can carry. It begins on the east side of a low water crossing on Anderson Hollow Road across from where the Connector Trail spits you out onto Anderson Hollow. The South Loop features one of the most scenic stretches of the entire system as it meanders along the Honey Run Creek. It returns to Anderson Hollow on the west side of the low water crossing. Many parts of this loop are extremely sensitive to moisture, and excessive damage can result if ridden when wet. The technical and fitness levels for the South Loop are near a beginner level.

The North Loop is the most challenging segment of the Honey Run Trail. If ridden clockwise, the 4.75 mile loop begins with approximately a 1 mile climb that takes you into some of the most secluded wilderness in the park and over the ridgeline near the point to a scenic overview of Lake of the Ozarks (in winter). It then twists and turns along the contours, over rocks and through the valleys until it reaches what is left of an old access road. At this point, it turns right and follows the access road for approximately 0.25 miles straight downhill until it turns back into the woods to follow the contours back. On your return trip to Anderson Hollow, the trail will snake you through some small sections of cedar trees, along limestone outcroppings and through sections of narrow benchcut on steep sideslopes. During the winter months, you will get great views of the Lake, and during the summer, you will feel like you are in a secluded forest somewhere far west of Missouri. The technical and fitness levels of this trail are intermediate to advanced.

Future expansions of the trail are "planned" to extend from the old roadbed on the North Loop, but nothing is moving forward at the moment. I think we'll just ride the trail for a little while. :)

Here is the most current map I have:

Last edited by Possum on Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:44 pm

Thanks Todd, it looks great. I know could have done it myself but it was much more fun hounding you about it. Maybe the same person that stickies this can add it to the Missouri trail description page on the ER site?
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

ptooi
Site Admin

Postby ptooi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:32 pm

Olathejoe wrote:Maybe the same person that stickies this can add it to the Missouri trail description page on the ER site?

Give me...buy me...take me... Man you guys are needy!

dash

Postby dash » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:01 pm

That trail was fun, when I rode it earlier this summer. I was feeling great that day too, too bad my riding partner was out of shape and all. :P

Pink

Postby Pink » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:45 pm

ptooi wrote:
Olathejoe wrote:Maybe the same person that stickies this can add it to the Missouri trail description page on the ER site?

Give me...buy me...take me... Man you guys are needy!

ptool, is there anything less attractive and more pitiful than a dependent male? Unless, it's two of them? Not to mention, the way I remember it, that trail description has nothing to do with reality. Of course, I've never actually ridden it on a bike, only walked it behind a DR trimmer.
I come from a long line of people who convinced others to sleep with them.

skalpell

Re: Honey Run Trail Description

Postby skalpell » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:59 pm

This is a beautiful trail. The flow is incredible. I suspect it dries fast. Not much technical challenge, but it is a delight. enjoy

Tim Greene

Postby Tim Greene » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:25 am

Fun trail.... Rode it all Saturday in the scorching heat... Only one tree down and well burned in and maintained. About the only complaint was there were no maps at the trail head or at OZ and I didn't have one in the truck.

So, after riding the loops, instead of taking the connector back to the cars, we decided to take the road. Three of the riders were adventure racers and we had a lively discussion on which way on Anderson Hollow to go. Long story made short, we took the wrong way and ended up back in Lake of the Ozarks (54 West) and by the time we were done had more road miles in than single track miles.
--------- __o
------- _`\<,_
------ (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:03 am

Hey Tim,
They make these cool hand held devices now that talk to satilites and majically help people navigate their way out of situations just like you described, they call them Global Positioning Systems recievers, or GPS for short. You should check into one. There is a local company out here in Olathe, Garmin, that makes some really nice ones.

:D

Your welcome.

Joe

Possum

Postby Possum » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:06 am

Tim, I'm going to let you in on a little secret...it's actually less painful to ride the trail back to the trailhead than it is to ride the (gravel) road. Trust me, I've done both, and the road sucks.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

Tim Greene

Postby Tim Greene » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:58 am

Olathejoe wrote:Hey Tim,
They make these cool hand held devices now that talk to satilites and majically help people navigate their way out of situations just like you described, they call them Global Positioning Systems recievers, or GPS for short. You should check into one. There is a local company out here in Olathe, Garmin, that makes some really nice ones.

:D

Your welcome.

Joe

I had a GPS on me. Unfortunately it was tied to my Suunto and not one I could use to see a map. I left my Garmin at home. The one time I actually needed it, I didn't have it on me...
--------- __o

------- _`\<,_

------ (*)/ (*)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tim Greene

Postby Tim Greene » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:06 am

Possum wrote:Tim, I'm going to let you in on a little secret...it's actually less painful to ride the trail back to the trailhead than it is to ride the (gravel) road. Trust me, I've done both, and the road sucks.

I don't doubt it. We had one rider that was starting to struggle in the woods on the single track and wanted to take the easier route back. I was half tempted to take the trail back and see if I could beat them. We did go in the right directions for a bit (up the big a@#*s hills) and stopped to wait for the slower rider. It was at this point the discussion took place and we went back the other way (wrong way).
--------- __o

------- _`\<,_

------ (*)/ (*)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Possum

Postby Possum » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:13 pm

The road distace is probably a little shorter, but those hills are just brutal. There's nothing remotely pleasurable about them. The hills on the singletrack are much softer, and I've found that even when I'm dead tired, it's a better proposition to ride the trail than the road.

I REALLY need to get back down there and ride that trail again....

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Possum wrote:
I REALLY need to get back down there and ride that trail again....

+1

Return to “Lake of the Ozarks State Park”