Riding at the Lake this weekend

Ogar

Riding at the Lake this weekend

Postby Ogar » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:47 am

Heading down to Tan-Tar-A this weekend for a convention. I get to ride Saturday before the wife puts me to work on Sunday & Monday.

Got the info for the Honey Run Trail. Are there any other trails I should consider checking out while I'm down there? I like all types of riding but if I had to narrow it down I'd say I like technical XC; freeride/DH "lite" (small nads, minimal skills); and of course anything fast & flowy.

I don't have a stable full of rides. I'll be taking my trusty-dusty 5-Spot...my one bike to rule them all. So won't be single-speedin' or 29in'....or singlespeed 29in' (not that there's anything wrong w/that). Prefer trails w/technical features that put my suspension to use.

Thanks!
Rago
Nice pour shitballs! -- Scott Cotter, 2013 Bikes -n- Brew

Possum

Re: Riding at the Lake this weekend

Postby Possum » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:00 am

Call Oz Cycles and get the directions to Bittersweet. It's got some freeridey type stuff that you'll like. I've never ridden it b/c every time I go to that area I either work on trail or only have enough time to ride Honey Run and then bolt home.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

Ogar

Postby Ogar » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:41 am

I'm only going to get one ride in this weekend as well. Haven't rode anything down there, so just researching my options. Oz Cycles website also mentions Trail of Four Winds. Heard anything about it? I like how the description reads -- I like the "tough terrain" part; not crazy about the "log climbs" part though....

Ozark Outdoors & Cyclery Trails page

Cairns
Site Admin

Postby Cairns » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:52 am

Ogar wrote:Oz Cycles website also mentions Trail of Four Winds. Heard anything about it? I like how the description reads -- I like the "tough terrain" part; not crazy about the "log climbs" part though....

I've ridden it, good stuff, right up your alley, Mike. I didn't think the climbs were that long.
111011 101101 101001

Ogar

Postby Ogar » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Cairns wrote:I've ridden it, good stuff, right up your alley, Mike. I didn't think the climbs were that long.

Thanks Sean!
Altough I must admit, when I read a line like: "I didn't think the climbs were that long", I must consider the source... :D
(and in this case the source is someone who's never struck me as being particularly bothered by climbing :lol: )

Possum

Postby Possum » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:51 pm

Mike, keep in mind that TotFW is also a HORSE trail, I believe. That may be the 'rough' terrain they are describing. Call Oz and talk to 'em, see what they recommend.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

Cairns
Site Admin

Postby Cairns » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:10 pm

The trail I'm thinking of is a mountain bike trail with a few stunts and jumps on it. The stunts were somewhat rickety the last time I was there so don't just hit them without checking them out first. I didn't see any evidence of horses on the trails.

When I rode this trail I started here. I realize the pinpoint is out in the woods a bit, the photos are old and there is a clearing there now. The trail starts in the back left corner of the clearing. Of course that was about a year ago, there could well be a building there now. You'll want to stop at Oz before going, they are right on the way to the trail.
111011 101101 101001

Ogar

Postby Ogar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Possum wrote:Mike, keep in mind that TotFW is also a HORSE trail, I believe. That may be the 'rough' terrain they are describing. Call Oz and talk to 'em, see what they recommend.

Ouch. That may change things. Thanks for the heads-up Todd.

Ogar

Postby Ogar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Cairns wrote:The trail I'm thinking of is a mountain bike trail with a few stunts and jumps on it. The stunts were somewhat rickety the last time I was there so don't just hit them without checking them out first. I didn't see any evidence of horses on the trails.

When I rode this trail I started here. I realize the pinpoint is out in the woods a bit, the photos are old and there is a clearing there now. The trail starts in the back left corner of the clearing. Of course that was about a year ago, there could well be a building there now. You'll want to stop at Oz before going, they are right on the way to the trail.

Based on the description on their website, this looks like it is where the Bittersweet trail is located.

I shot Oz (now Ozark Outdoor & Cyclery) an email; and I do plan on stopping by on the way so I'll get the scoop then.

Thanks guys for all of help & info.

Return to “Lake of the Ozarks State Park”