Winter rules

Trail Information | Check trail status
allkidd

Winter rules

Postby allkidd » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:25 pm

Now that we are most likely, into the freeze/thaw, time of the year, I would like some clarification on the sign at swope. I know that for the next several months, the only riding may be when the ground is frozen. Typically, it gets down in the 20's in the evening and then could be above 32 by 10:00 am or so.

My question is the protocol with the closed sign across the trail. Normally, I will get to swope early, around 7:00 am, when the ground is still very frozen. The problem is that the rangers from up on top of the hill have not yet arrived to work. (I'm guessing they are ones in charge of the closed sign) When they left the previous afternoon, the ground was most likely not frozen so they left with the closed sign up. We can't expect them to constantly change the sign back and forth depending on the freeze situation. Using good judgement, are they(those in charge of the sign), okay if we ride when frozen despite the closed sign?

breed007

Re: Winter rules

Postby breed007 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:50 pm

Urban Trail Co. builds and maintains the trails but land managers control access to the trails. So we can't post on the internet that it's okay to ignore signs if the ground is frozen. I think you can probably see how doing that would be problematic.

However, if you did ignore a sign and the ground was truly frozen, I have a hard time seeing anyone getting too upset about you being out there. The safest bet is riding other trail systems when the ground is frozen and closed signs remain up.

Return to “Swope Park”