Closed Sign

Trail Information | Check trail status
KCtrails

Closed Sign

Postby KCtrails » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:34 pm

I have seen mention on the forum a sign that is the final authority (as opposed to the website) on whether the trail is open. Where exactly is the sign put up and what does it say?

Also, is the gate by the Oakwood Road parking related to closure? I am drive by there going to and from work so I see it closed on rainy days like today, but have also seen it closed a couple of days earlier this week when it was nice out. Finally, is it all or nothing on closure, or can I go walking when it is closed to riding?

Thanks in advance,
John

Insomneous

Re: Closed Sign

Postby Insomneous » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:09 pm

John, I'm certainly not an authority but get fairly close to instantaneous reports on the trail and try to post here the minute i get them. This has been in place now for close to a couple of months and the longest delay when the status changed was 30 minutes when I was in a meeting. Quite often it's less than a minute from the time I get notice to when I post here.

Therefore, I'd consider this damn accurate. However, it's not fail safe. Folks who check the trail include a number of different people of different professions and geography. They might be out, gone, working, traveling, whatever. So I don't get notice quite as timely sometimes (but rarely does that happen). Heck, I could be on an airplane, or lost in the wilderness of SD and have no signal (this did happen). Also, I'm not the oracle ... if you have some on the ground recon please share. It's better to err on closing rather than opening, however. And never post up that it's open if the sign is up.

If you're driving by, stop and take a look. If no sign is up, go for it. Unless the trail is wet (even a little) and you're leaving tracks of any kind. Tracks are key ... if you are marking the soil, stay off regardless of what the sign says or what your mode of transportation happens to be.

I hope that helps.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

ptooi
Site Admin

Postby ptooi » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:19 pm

KCtrails wrote:I have seen mention on the forum a sign that is the final authority (as opposed to the website) on whether the trail is open. Where exactly is the sign put up and what does it say?

Also, is the gate by the Oakwood Road parking related to closure? I am drive by there going to and from work so I see it closed on rainy days like today, but have also seen it closed a couple of days earlier this week when it was nice out. Finally, is it all or nothing on closure, or can I go walking when it is closed to riding?

Thanks in advance,
John

Someone else will have to confirm but I think the sign is right at the trail entrance there at the Oakwood parking lot. My understanding is the gate has nothing to do with trail closure. The top part of Oakwood Rd is not open to the public except on special occasions. The gate is often open but that's got nothing to do with the trails.

KCtrails

Postby KCtrails » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Someone else will have to confirm but I think the sign is right at the trail entrance there at the Oakwood parking lot.

I guess it clearly says closed somewhere on it, not the signs that say restricted no trespassing?

I like to go walking/running out there at least as often as I ride so I want to make sure I understand this correctly; if the trail is closed to riding, it is closed to foot traffic too?

Thanks again, guys, I appreciate that we have these trails and all of you who help maintain them.
John

Insomneous

Postby Insomneous » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:59 pm

That's right, John, closed to all traffic.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

Somefearinhere

Postby Somefearinhere » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:50 am

there is a portable sign on a stand that will generally be blocking the trail itself. The gate across the road has nothing to do with whether or not the trails are open.

you would have to drive up to the gate to see the small portable sign likely. Hard to see from the main road for sure.
Max

All Religions Are Fairy Tales

The Chaplain

Postby The Chaplain » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:51 am

Have they re-paved Oldham Rd yet? New asphalt for when the trails are closed.
May the good Lord Bless
What is on my mind,
Comes off of my tongue...
and remains in my heart.

KCtrails

Postby KCtrails » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:45 pm

They put down new lines on the new asphalt today, so I think they are done.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Think they'll ever get some extra asphalt dumped at the parking lot? That's getting a good 3-4" drop, and a lot of cars can't handle it.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

LNTmatt

Postby LNTmatt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:48 pm

I'm guessing they're going to integrate mtb bike parking into the gravel lot at the top of the hill for the new "ropes" course.

I have no knowledge of it, but that's what the news article pointed towards last month.

breed007

Postby breed007 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:25 pm

LNTmatt wrote:I'm guessing they're going to integrate mtb bike parking into the gravel lot at the top of the hill for the new "ropes" course.

I have no knowledge of it, but that's what the news article pointed towards last month.

I do not believe that's been determined yet. The problem with opening the top of the hill has never been with parking. It's what I like to call "the Cliff Drive Problem" i.e. people hanging out in secluded places doing not good things. I would much rather pedal up that hill then run into some of the crazy stuff I've run into at Kessler.

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:51 am

breed007 wrote:
LNTmatt wrote:I'm guessing they're going to integrate mtb bike parking into the gravel lot at the top of the hill for the new "ropes" course.

I do not believe that's been determined yet. The problem with opening the top of the hill has never been with parking. It's what I like to call "the Cliff Drive Problem" i.e. people hanging out in secluded places doing not good things. I would much rather pedal up that hill then run into some of the crazy stuff I've run into at Kessler.

Hey bro, you're not helping with visitors.

Plus no one can park inside Kessler anymore.....no more dumb shit happening :)
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi