Indian Creek is trimmed and ready for some riders.

Doug Long

Indian Creek is trimmed and ready for some riders.

Postby Doug Long » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:04 am

For anyone wanting to head north and ride the Green Hills Trail at Poosey Conservation Area, it is trimmed top to bottom and prime for riding. Contact me if you need more detailed info.

jlbay

Re: Indian Creek is trimmed and ready for some riders.

Postby jlbay » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:16 am

Is there a printable map of the system available? I checked the GHTA site and found an interactive map but nothing with labels.

Doug Long

Postby Doug Long » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:32 am

Here is the link to the MDC map for that area: http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/documents/area_ ... 935map.pdf

Note that the Green Hills trail is located south of route A down in the region of Indian Creek Community lake. The map will show the access points, camp grounds etc.... It does not show mile markers etc... which will be included when we develop our own detailed map.

The MDC maps can be picked up at any of the parking areas at the lot kiosks.

Keep in mind that this is not a State Park but Conservation Dept land. Different state organizations with different mission statements. The MDC tends to keep things wild and primitive (hunting, fishing, wildlife and forest management) while the State Parks cater more to the RV, recreational crowd that like more amenities. Take my word, we've come leaps and bounds since we started building this trail back in 2000.

Hope that helps.

Pappy

Matt.t

Postby Matt.t » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:44 am

Hows Indian Creek these days? Trails open / dry for this weekend?

Doug Long

Postby Doug Long » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:16 am

Trails are way behind on prep work as we have dealt with storm after storm dropping rain and keep our trails wet for most the spring and summer. As soon as the faucet goes off up here we hope to get in and reclaim the trail from the growth. I'll post when IC is ready for riding. Not a typical year for us, or anyone else for that matter.

bprosser

Postby bprosser » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:24 pm

Hey Doug, is Green Hills reclaimed yet? Friend is camping there this weekend and would be good to know conditions for MTBing, or if even advisable. Thanks.
Prosser

Doug Long

Postby Doug Long » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:19 pm

The "Green Hills" trail is primo and waiting for tires. We've been riding the heck out of it and got a ride in today. The MDC (Conservation Dept) just mowed the campgrounds so both are in great shape. One is up by the north trail head at parking lot #20 and the other is just east of the dam and there is trail access there also. I'd suggest the north CG and it is a short drive over to Jamesport if you need anything (food/bev). It is archery season for deer but we don't close the trails during archery season, only rifle season starting in Nov. There may be hunters camping in the CG areas but there is plenty of room and they tend to go out right around dawn and dusk. We've had riders out there about every day and no problem.
Keep in mind the campgrounds are primitive so bring water. There are pit toilets.
Trail is linear and a trip up and back is 20 miles. There are area maps at all the parking areas and the trail is primarily on the west side of the lake and the north drainage that feeds the lake.
If you need more info, contact me. I will be racing cross this weekend at Lawrence.
We (the Green Hills Trail Association) will be hosting our 3rd annual "Fall Hike" on Sunday starting at 12:00 up at #20 as part of the annual fall drive in north Poosey Conservation Area. Hikers will have 2 loop options. Mtn bikers are welcome and we had several last year.
Be sure to let me know what they thought when they get back.

Pappy

Return to “Crowder State Park”