Current Trail Conditions August 30?

MTBjunkie

Current Trail Conditions August 30?

Postby MTBjunkie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:47 am

I was wondering what the trail conditions are as of August 30th, 2008? Doug can you give an update on the amt of rainfall in the past few days? How long does it usually take for the trails to dry out after rain? Is there camping allowed up there?

Thanks

Shannon
Ride bikes and be happy.

ctrailfreak

Re: Current Trail Conditions August 30?

Postby ctrailfreak » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:51 am

There is camping there Shannon. The trails drain, and dry well, Doug takes excellent care of them. I don't know if they even got any rain in that direction the past few days but I'm sure Doug will chime in soon. We raced there years back when that place had 12 inches of rain, the day before the event, and the trail was just slightly tacky. :wink:

cyleriggs

Postby cyleriggs » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:11 pm

Shannon,

Camping is great at crowder. The camping sure is from primitive, but there is a trailhead in the campground, and you just can't beat waking up and jumping on your bike to go mountain biking without even having to drive.

Also if you ride the north(?) side stuff and then take the connector to do the south(?) stuff the trail goes right by the swim beach! Awesome way to cooldown in the middle of a ride.

cyleriggs

Postby cyleriggs » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:11 pm

btw, meant "far from primitive".

Birdman_2000

Postby Birdman_2000 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:50 pm

Sweet! Glad to know there is good camping up there. Whats the status of the trails. I heard earlier this year they got pretty torn up by the flooding and the rough winter. I could be crazy and hearing things though. My meds don't work so good anymore
You Got to Die from something. Might as well give everyone something to talk about at your Funeral. (that guy was a frigin idiot)

The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

Doug Long

Postby Doug Long » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:18 am

Sorry about the late reply guys. As a matter of fact, thank John Harter for PM'ing or I would have missed this.
I've been pretty busy helping to get some details completed for the Women's Crit for the Tour Of Missouri. 360 Racing is taking a very active role in this and I'm in charge of volunteers for this race.

To get to your question about Crowder. I gotta be honest guys, I haven't been up there for some time. Most of you know I set some pretty high goals for myself racing this year and spent a large amount of time training and on the road. I had already sent the word out to our group up here that they would have to take more of an active role in getting work done. I need these guys to step up and do more of the work and more of a leadership role. Seems like things don't get done unless I "pull the wagon". This is a common theme in a lot of trail systems. We don't have the volunteer base and we get zero help from the Trenton area. Most of the work is done by Chillicothe volunteers. We live 20 miles south and the cost of gas may be part of the factor.

I've also volunteered to help some of our local scouts complete a service project (40 hours-per scout). They are completing a trail project at Indian Creek and have to have it completed in September. I spend a couple of days a week working on this project. Mountain bike trails are wonderful as long as you have people to maintain them. This is my ongoing message to anyone that rides a mountain bike. Seems that there are a lot of people that are "life challenged" and don't seem to have the time to do their share of the work, but I'll be damned if they don't have time to ride their bike when I spend two weeks doing all the work to get the trails back in shape. Currently, they are driving their cars to Landahl and Smithville and some of the trails that are getting maintained, rather than fix their own.

I'm about to have a meeting with our group and see if I can shift some of the leadership and maybe recruit some new blood. We got off on a bad foot this year and never seemed to get ahead of it.

Sorry about the book I just wrote. The theme is very common though. Seems like there is lots of interest to build new trails but sometimes no so much enthusiasm to keep them maintained. I don't want to sound negative, just realistic. I volunteered over 300 hours last year on public trails. Got the official "Thank You" letter from the Dept of Natural resources and a cap. I plan to start with getting our trails maintained at Indian Creek and then move to Crowder when I'm done at I.C.

If you go up and ride at Crowder, send me a report.
They have a wonderful campground, swimming beach, etc.... and still a short distance from KC.

I still love my trails, I'm just a little crispy right now and need to get recharged.

John Harter
Location: Newhalem Washington, in the heart of the North Cascades National Park

Postby John Harter » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:24 am

Well Douglas, we will figure out a weekend late this fall (maybe end of Oct-early Nov) and badger a bunch of the KC people into coming up and making a trail camp/work/ride/party weekend to help get your KICKASS trails back in shape!
What's under my Kilt? Lipstick, on a good day that is.

cyleriggs

Postby cyleriggs » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:42 am

John Harter wrote:Well Douglas, we will figure out a weekend late this fall (maybe end of Oct-early Nov) and badger a bunch of the KC people into coming up and making a trail camp/work/ride/party weekend to help get your KICKASS trails back in shape!

I'd be game, crowder is fun place to spend a weekend, I'd hate to see the trails in shambles.

Doug Long

Postby Doug Long » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:16 am

We'll, I don't know if there "shambles". Not buff as usual, but one man's shamble may be another man's typical "Backyard favorite-challenging trail." Gotta remember. Lot's of us ole timers cut our teeth just riding cross country on deer trails and riding whatever was in front of us. But, I gotta admit, when Crowder is buff, it's big chain ring and a "need for speed" kinda riding.

Return to “Crowder State Park”