Stocksdale condition

Trail Information | Check trail status
mtwmbw

Re: Stocksdale condition

Postby mtwmbw » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:36 pm

The sign at the trail is changed either by Clay Lozier (trail manager) or the city folks. If you drive all the way there and the sign says "Closed" but you think it might be rideable, take a little test spin to see how the trail is. If your tires are picking up quite a bit of mud and there is any rutting, stop riding.

If you are looking on the forums and it says "Closed" or whatever we type that day, take it for what it says.

KCJones

Postby KCJones » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:54 pm

mtwmbw wrote:The sign at the trail is changed either by Clay Lozier (trail manager) or the city folks. If you drive all the way there and the sign says "Closed" but you think it might be rideable, take a little test spin to see how the trail is. If your tires are picking up quite a bit of mud and there is any rutting, stop riding.

If you are looking on the forums and it says "Closed" or whatever we type that day, take it for what it says.

Thanks everyone for the insight and advice. I get the system now.

pitdaddy

Postby pitdaddy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:32 am

Rode Paw Paw, Los Cincos & Godiva's up to the cut out back to the opening. There were about 4 'greasy' spots. Three of them weren't 100% across the trail. If you went to the left edge or right edge your tires never touched the muck. Only one was all the way across. That one hardly left a mark on my tires.

This was my second time at Stocksdale and I really like it. I get a little confused at some of the crossings. Wish they had some small sign. A few more visits and I'll be more familiar with the layout.

What I like about Stocksdale-
smooth
elevation changes are 'notice-able' but not impossible.
Wooden parts- While they mess with my mind I like the challenge. Every time I see one I have to vision it as trail and not wood.
Open rock area- rocks scare me. Landahl has rocks but nothing 'easy'. Okay, family trail isn't to bad. And that small part thru Dave's Maze you have to thread thru. The short section out in the open really helps me get the feel of rocks.
"Dipity doo's" or low spots so water can have an escape route. It puts a little thrill into the ride dropping down 3 or 4 feet and back up.

What I don't like-
It's not in my back yard!

**Note to reader- I'm a newbie to mountain biking**

Possum

Postby Possum » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:56 am

Hey man, glad you're having fun out there.

Keep riding, and those rocks and wood structures will get more comfortable and less intimidating for you.

Come out to an ER meeting some time and get to know a few people. I bet someone will be willing to show you around a bit and give you some pointers. Or sign up for the Dirt Academy that GWiz puts on
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:59 am

The intersections at Stocksdale are easy if you remember this: if it splits into two trails, stay to the outside for whichever direction you are going(clockwise,stay left/CCW/stay right). When you get to a 4-way intersection, go straight through because you're crossing the Cross Country running trail.

mtwmbw

Postby mtwmbw » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:49 pm

pitdaddy wrote:

Open rock area- rocks scare me. Landahl has rocks but nothing 'easy'. Okay, family trail isn't to bad. And that small part thru Dave's Maze you have to thread thru. The short section out in the open really helps me get the feel of rocks.
"Dipity doo's" or low spots so water can have an escape route. It puts a little thrill into the ride dropping down 3 or 4 feet and back up.

What I don't like-
It's not in my back yard!

**Note to reader- I'm a newbie to mountain biking**

This is really great to read. We put a fair amount of effort and a little ERTA $$ into those rock ledges in the park. You were exactly who we had in mind when we did it. We wanted people to have a chance to gain a little confidence with some rock ledges so they can progress to some of the natural ledges at Landahl and Swope.

We continue to have some ideas for the open "skills" loop. The pump track is in progress and we may add some other features for people to gain experience on. Now if we just had more time....

mtwmbw

Postby mtwmbw » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:50 pm

pitdaddy wrote:
This was my second time at Stocksdale and I really like it. I get a little confused at some of the crossings. Wish they had some small sign. A few more visits and I'll be more familiar with the layout.

The crossings with the cross country running trails are the most confusing. We have talked about putting some "No Bike" signage on those so if you turned the wrong way you would know immediately. But we haven't gotten around to it.

Willis24

Postby Willis24 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:09 pm

Closed for sure? Was hoping to catch the group ride... on vacation this week. :o
-Warren
Fast down; slow up.

PlanetTony

Postby PlanetTony » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm thinking as hot and windy as it is, it's gotta be close...but...it's gonna feel like riding in a wet hair-dryer. If...that makes any sense.

I think I'm gonna suit up and risk it, myself. Might be closer to 6:30, but count me in unless someone smarter/closer tells us otherwise...
If it has two wheels, (and...a motor, apparently/lately...) I wanna ride it!

2010 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2015 KTM 200 XCW
Giant XTC Advanced 27.5"
Giant TCR Advanced 1
Felt F65x
Echo Pure

Hermanator

Postby Hermanator » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:53 am

Looks like we got a little less than half an inch from the storms last night, likely a day or two to dry out. I'm wondering if any of that wind/tornado action hit the trails. Raines road was mentioned as a damaged area, which is just east of SWW.

Hermanator

Postby Hermanator » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Any idea on Stocks being dry tonight? It was a furnace out there for my ride on Saturday, low 70's after work sounds too good to be true.

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:01 pm

Clay just posted it OPEN on the conditions page, but a few slick spots.

Return to “Stocksdale Park/Walnut Woods”