Skills trail

Trail Information | Check trail status
mtwmbw

Skills trail

Postby mtwmbw » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks to Cripple Creek Rock Company for making us a really good deal on a bunch of rock. This rock will soon show up on a local skills trail as technical features. Keep an eye out for it!

www.cripplecreekrockcompany.com

Muther

Re: Skills trail

Postby Muther » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:31 am

This is some of the work that was done last week.

That is Clay Lozier by the rollers.

This is the first (easy) set of step ups you come to.

The second set. A little harder, and as you can see, easily cleared even you don't run a bash.

Then it's a step down, you'll need to pedal hard and build speed quickly to get proper air.

This is the last set. There are three basic lines. My bike is perched on the tallest step up. The rocks extending immidiately behind my classic steel Specialized but thoroughly updated Stumpjumper (shameless plug) are easier, but you'll need lots of mementum and no small amount of skill. There is a third line that is probably the easiest of the three, but you'll still need pleanty of momentum and skill to clear it.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Muther

Postby Muther » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:53 am

Obvously give credit where its due. Matt Woody, Clay, and some others (Sorry, I already forgot your names. Please help with this Matt.). And, to Cripple Creek Rock Company.

I forgot to get photos of hte rail (8" wide, 6 foot ramp up, 8 foot level, 6 foot ramp down), a short distance beyond the last step up.

carlrf

Postby carlrf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:26 am

That looks like a lot of work, very impressive, thank you. Maybe I can get backup there in 2013. Come in the back way to avoid the X-wife! :shock: :roll:

Muther

Postby Muther » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:32 pm

I don't know what other work is planned for the skills (prairie/pasture) trail, but it is shaping up nicely. IT is now, very much worth riding.

Matt is the one that does the thinking. I am just a trail grunt.

Earn Your Dirt!!!

mtwmbw

Postby mtwmbw » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:44 pm

The completion of the skills trail will include teeter totters and possibly a wooden wall on one of the sharper turns.

Muther

Postby Muther » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:37 pm

My son and I rode the rollers today. Personally, I like them as is. They still need a lot of packing down, and that will make them considerably smaller. My son is 10, and is not that proficient yet, and he was able to clear them after a few tries. I like the fact that they tend to violate your rhythm. I like the odd heights. I think that adding another section similar to them somewhere would be a good idea. Leave this one the way it is, but make a new section that was more rhythm/pump track like.

For me, the rollers are the best of the new features. Thanks all.

Muther

Postby Muther » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 am

Anyone been back out htere to see how the new stuff is settling in? When will we do the clean up work around the new features? Will we buy our own grass seed, or is that a CoL thing?

NHabes79

Postby NHabes79 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Looking forward to getting out of the house to see the new features as soon as I can. Just curious, are you guys doubling over those dirt rollers?

Muther

Postby Muther » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:21 pm

Haven't had conditions good enough to try stuff like that yet. You'd really have to be moving out to do that, though. There is plenty of room to get speed up.

Return to “Stocksdale Park/Walnut Woods”