Monday night ride revival!!! 4/22

Trail Information | Check trail status
Muther

Re: Monday night ride revival!!! 4/22

Postby Muther » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:10 pm

BAH!!!

Didn't go. I had the time, so I decided to flip my Manitou back to 80mm from the 100mm that filpped it to when I rebuilt it. Well... one thing led to another, and I ended up doing a full tear down and rebuild, adn getting the BB7 mounted and adjusted up front, took more time than I though it would. At least I know how to adjust BB7's really well now.

All that was in between making sauce for homemade pizza. I always make the sauce, and it's always from homegrown tomatoes garlic, basil, oregano, etc., and the wife does the crust, and the kiddos to the toppings.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Willis24

Postby Willis24 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Chore list done, batteries charged, I'm there!
-Warren
Fast down; slow up.

Neale

Postby Neale » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Hope you find decent conditions. The trails at Hodge were frozen yesterday... probably mud today.
Self-deception isn't the worst thing we do, but it makes it possible for us to do the worst things. -Timothy Keller

Willis24

Postby Willis24 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:10 pm

Ok, scratch my last post then. Not going to waste the gas on a chance that it will be good to go.
-Warren
Fast down; slow up.

Neale

Postby Neale » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Sorry Warren.... did n't mean to throw you off. Just a possibility based on what I saw yesterday.
Self-deception isn't the worst thing we do, but it makes it possible for us to do the worst things. -Timothy Keller

Willis24

Postby Willis24 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Neale wrote:Sorry Warren.... did n't mean to throw you off. Just a possibility based on what I saw yesterday.

No, much appreciated! :D It seems that I forget about and get caught out by the in-between condition every year. A reminder to get back on the gravel too! :wink:
-Warren
Fast down; slow up.

Muther

Postby Muther » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:08 am

Anyone planning to ride tonight.

Willis24

Postby Willis24 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:12 am

Planning, if someone can confirm that it is not thawed mush?
-Warren
Fast down; slow up.

NHabes79

Postby NHabes79 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Thought I'd see some folks last night out at Stocksdale. Looks like I was the only one to brave the cold weather and I typically shy away from it. Trail was fine. Completely frozen with an inch or two of snow on top. Fun to ride through it and hear my tires crunching the snow. I'll probably try to get out there again sometime this week. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday night.

Muther

Postby Muther » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:58 pm

W00t!

Time for the annual return of "Stocksdale Mondays".

Big day tomorrow at work. I may be too exhausted from work, but we'll see. We are removing old and installing new batteries. 320 of them total, and each one weighs 140 pounds or so.

Stocks was still pretty soft on Thursday (12March2015) when I rode. There was an Earthgirl there (didn't catch her name, Riding a Giant fully, and driving a white Wrangler). The trails were fine for her, but even with the very big 2.3 tires, my gravitationally enhanced girth caused me to sink too far in. I had to quit.

Tomorrow it should be pretty good.

Usually roll at 6?

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:19 am

Conditions improved from Thursday to Saturday, but there were still some soft spots. It's probably ripping fast by now. We refined all the berms between the TH and the pond. The berms need use to compact the soil, so hit them a couple times if you make it out. They are going to add a ton of speed to the first 1.1 miles.

Muther

Postby Muther » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:56 am

How was it?

It should have been in really good shape. I was totally wiped out. My legs were doen. It was hard just climbing the steps to my house.

Willis24

Postby Willis24 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:32 pm

Still quite a few soft spots from frost heave need to be packed, but it was just nice to be out. Not sure what to think about the berms? Seems kinda park-like... Oh wait, Stocksdale is a park!
-Warren
Fast down; slow up.

mtwmbw

Postby mtwmbw » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:33 am

I will be interested in thoughts about the berms. I think you hit the nail on the head when you noted that SWW is more of a park like system. My thoughts were to add some fun features with the berms in some key areas to have something unique in the northland. We have roughly 5.5 miles of trail. At least 4.5 miles of it will be unchanged. Once you enter the woods by the pond (going counter-clockwise) you won't encounter a berm for about 3.5 miles (the far north berms that haven't been fine tuned yet).

There will not be any berms in the MDC area of SWW. There may be a couple more berms added in the field section of the main trail and on the skills loop, but that will be about it. We will be adding some dirt to the existing berms. Particularly the first berm as you enter Los Cincos above the pond. We would like to make that berm about 2-3 feet higher.

As a teaser I will say that if you don't like the berms or the park like feel there is going to be an awesome straight forward cross country riding trail coming in the next couple of years in the northland. We have a great opportunity to build a trail in a great piece of woods (hugh old growth trees, little invasive species). This trail will be 7-8 miles of uninterrupted riding in the woods. It will be nontechnical but with some great flow and some great climbing. No berms. No paved trails. No disc golf nearby. Keep an eye out for it. Next year I'll be hitting people up to grab a rogue hoe and a McCleod to build it (it will be a relatively easy build due to lack of undergrowth and soil type).

Muther

Postby Muther » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:04 pm

I have mixed feelings about the berms. I love Stocksdale the way it is, nery natural. Buuuu---uuut, I love berms, too. It's like seing your girlfriend one day, all normal loooking, then seeing the her the next day, but with an additional two cup sizes.

There is something to be said for both.Natural, and with man-made play things.

I just saw them on a very slow, soggy-ish sort of day, impossible to rail them. Once they are smoothed and burned, - am sure I will love them.

As far as the new trail goes, w00t!

Return to “Stocksdale Park/Walnut Woods”