Stocksdale Pain

Trail Information | Check trail status
Jones
ER Officer

Re: Stocksdale Pain

Postby Jones » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:00 pm

I don't have the #'s to prove anything but in my opinion climbing Wyco #1 Stocksdale #2 and i have only ridden Krug once so i just don't have enough time on the dirt. I think the revenge may make your #s a little lower than they really are because we use the 1/2 mile of gravel as a start/feed zone. if you stick to the trail your #s will go back up. My less scientific test is that I can single speed stocksdale as i broke a cable riding it once and rigged it SS and road another 2 laps, Wyco I would end up walking a few of the hills.

no matter what the truth is isn't it nice that we have such wonderful trails all over KC that we can talk about which system has more climbing, better flow, more tech..... and were not all just whispering about where we can find the illegal trails on this chunk of property or that.
No Guts No Glory, No Brains Same Story

Tim Greene

Stocksdale Pain

Postby Tim Greene » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:24 am

Krug would be number 1 for climbing, followed by Wyco. What I like about Wyco is the flow hides how much climbing is actually going on.

If you are looking for a suffer while climbing score then I would rank Clinton followed by Krug.
--------- __o
------- _`\<,_
------ (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermanator

Postby Hermanator » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:42 am

Well, the hills are doing their job, feeling better and better every time I go out there. After adjusting some technique while riding, and getting the cooler weather last night, I made it through 2 laps with a skills loop and rest in between. Having a lot more fun, and struggling less. I might even be starting to develop a love/hate relationship with those trails!

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:50 am

I don't have a GPS or anything to measure, though I did Wyco Saturday and Stocksdale Sunday. and my gut feel is you get a bit more climbing with Wyco however they are quite similar in many aspects. Carrying momentum through dips as well as some "medium" length sustained climbs. Though also both have some tight switchbacks, perhaps more at Stocksdale. Both are fast and flowing. Both also have various skills features and such.

Wyco does dry faster, I saw conditions posted Saturday and decided to hit Stocksdale Sunday and found several slick or soupy/squishy spots. Enough to slow down on corners if you don't know it like the back of your hand, but ok to avoid the wet spots and have a good ride, most of it was great. Saturday there wasn't any of that at Wyco, I never worried about slick spots. I am quite amazed how well the entire trail dries.

I still like the relative seclusion and deep woods feel in Stocksdale while not being too far from your car at any time. Both are great in my book though for people making a bit more of a trek to get there, the only strike against Stocksdale may be the amount of trail. For newer or lower endurance types, it shouldn't matter. Wyco doesn't have a ton more, but is still growing and more importantly has ample room to grow.

mtwmbw

Postby mtwmbw » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:31 am

ScottL wrote: Both are great in my book though for people making a bit more of a trek to get there, the only strike against Stocksdale may be the amount of trail.

True. A couple things to keep in mind for the future. The addition of Hodge Park will provide for a little "two trail" trip. You will be able to hit Stocksdale, go grab a bit to eat and then hit Hodge Park just a few miles away. If you really want to extend yourself biking between the two will be feasible when the bridge over I-35 on 291 is complete (it will have a bike lane).

We are exploring the ability to add a little bit to Stocksdale. But it remains to be seen if, or when, that would be able to happen.

tomy

Postby tomy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 am

I'm really wanting to get up to Stocksdale for a ride.

Possum

Postby Possum » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:51 am

In all of your discussion about climbing, you are leaving out one very important system in the conversation - Blue River, and more specifically, the east and south sides. I don't really ride the south side much, but if you park at the Sand trap and ride over to the east side via Oxbow and then just start doing mixed loops on the east side, you will do a good amount of climbing. I'm fairly certain it will easily be in the 80-90'/mile range. I used to climb up to the basement trail and take that all the way north and drop down to the culvert crossing. Turn around and climb back up the hill, and then go up to HighLine. Go south on HL to the end, and then go back north on HoBoCaCa, then come back south on Basement. If you are still feeling energetic, you can now go north on HighLine, and come back south on HoBoCaCa. After that, tell me you haven't done any climbing or ridden anything technical.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

smoovranger

Postby smoovranger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:13 am

mtwmbw wrote:True. A couple things to keep in mind for the future. The addition of Hodge Park will provide for a little "two trail" trip. You will be able to hit Stocksdale, go grab a bit to eat and then hit Hodge Park just a few miles away. If you really want to extend yourself biking between the two will be feasible when the bridge over I-35 on 291 is complete (it will have a bike lane).

This is intriguing...

Toxis

Stocksdale Pain

Postby Toxis » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:36 am

tomy wrote:I'm really wanting to get up to Stocksdale for a ride.

Come on up tonight! Depending where you live, I might be able to pick you up... I'm in Lenexa.
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:42 am

Toxis wrote:
tomy wrote:I'm really wanting to get up to Stocksdale for a ride.

Come on up tonight! Depending where you live, I might be able to pick you up... I'm in Lenexa.

:D :D :D :D :D

(tomy lives in Ottawa, KS)
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

tomy

Postby tomy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:44 am

Olathejoe wrote:
Toxis wrote:Come on up tonight! Depending where you live, I might be able to pick you up... I'm in Lenexa.

:D :D :D :D :D

(tomy lives in Ottawa, KS)

he's still welcome to come pick me up, that is when I don't have kid commitments like tonight 8)

Toxis

Stocksdale Pain

Postby Toxis » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Gotcha... Nevermind then! Haha
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 pm

mtwmbw wrote:
ScottL wrote: Both are great in my book though for people making a bit more of a trek to get there, the only strike against Stocksdale may be the amount of trail.

True. A couple things to keep in mind for the future. The addition of Hodge Park will provide for a little "two trail" trip. You will be able to hit Stocksdale, go grab a bit to eat and then hit Hodge Park just a few miles away. If you really want to extend yourself biking between the two will be feasible when the bridge over I-35 on 291 is complete (it will have a bike lane).

We are exploring the ability to add a little bit to Stocksdale. But it remains to be seen if, or when, that would be able to happen.

Absolutely, my buddy that met me Sunday is 5 minutes from Hodge, currently Stocksdale is closest to him otherwise. I was telling him about Hodge as well. Anyway,for him doing Stocksdale each way was plenty of mileage. He really loves the place. It's enough that I always enjoy making the trip, and hitting it less often I don't mind a few extra laps.

tomy

Postby tomy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:10 pm

how much mileage is at Stocks?

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:16 pm

~5 miles

Return to “Stocksdale Park/Walnut Woods”