Stocksdale Pain

Trail Information | Check trail status
ScottL
ER Officer

Re: Stocksdale Pain

Postby ScottL » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Also FWIW, on this map, a basic loop I am familiar with is the "outermost" route between 1A and 3A:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VPY9WDSJB3E/TxDvexi9yZI/AAAAAAAAAto/sg7O_9pD56A/s1600/sww_map_2012-01-13.jpg

Like, going CCW, if you start at 1A always go right except when you pass those crosscountry trails, ie. take only the blue and black. It is usually obvious which are the cross country trails, less trimmed,etc. Now they have signs out too for most the MTB segments.

See the blog:
http://stocksdalewalnutwoods.blogspot.com/

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:27 pm

All of the cross country intersections are 4-way and you just go straight through them. At any Y, go all rights or all lefts. An exception to this is the black loop, you can hit or miss it and do basically the same mileage.

tomy

Postby tomy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:27 pm

where are the big climbs I've heard about?

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks for the clarification Justin.

Climbs are pretty much interspersed throughout, can't think of one big monster climb that stands out for me.

Muther

Postby Muther » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 pm

I won't be abkee to be there tonight. I am recovering from thee flu.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Muther wrote:I won't be abkee to be there tonight. I am recovering from thee flu.

You are kidding...

http://forums.earthriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17881&start=15

Muther

Postby Muther » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:02 pm

Seriously, my daughter (12) and I spent all day yesterday tossing wafflles. I for sure, could not handle a ride. I owe you one Toxis.

This is not me jonesing out of a challenge, I feel like shit, and I would much rather be rding, than dealing with the "brown death".

Toxis

Stocksdale Pain

Postby Toxis » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:50 pm

You son of a bitch... Haha. Well I'll still come on up and get a ride in to understand what it's like. I'll hold up tonight's group to the best of my ability.
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Muther

Postby Muther » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Diagnosis, viral, 4-5 days, I won't gross you all out with the details. Suffice it to say, if I eat or drink anything, I take it to the toilet, sit dow , and THEN eat or drink. There are parts of a person that should never be this abraded.

mtwmbw

Postby mtwmbw » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:42 pm

tomy wrote:where are the big climbs I've heard about?

You haven't heard about big climbs, you have just heard about a lot of climbing. Stocksdale has very few sections that are flat, you are usually climbing or descending. With a lot of turns in for good mix.

Toxis

Stocksdale Pain

Postby Toxis » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Yeah I will say WyCo has bigger climbs that kick my ass a lot more than Stockdale. I had a blast tonight on the trails even though 10 miles was solo. Haha. Told ya I would be late! 15 min thanks to 35 traffic. Oh well, had a blast anyway. Super flowy and lots of ups and downs, very little flats. But after damn near 3 laps, my legs were tired but not exhausted like WyCo yesterday in 10 miles (got 14.5 tonight). Well worth the trip!! Will be riding it again and will bring some buddies next time. Killer work and a huge thanks to the trail builders.
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

tomy

Postby tomy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:06 am

mtwmbw wrote:
tomy wrote:where are the big climbs I've heard about?

You haven't heard about big climbs, you have just heard about a lot of climbing. Stocksdale has very few sections that are flat, you are usually climbing or descending. With a lot of turns in for good mix.

well,I could have misunderstood but I think it was prolly more the perspective of the teller.... kinda like beauty, in the eye of the beholder lol

NHabes79

Postby NHabes79 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:53 am

Don't mind mtwmbw or jlbay. They are part of the 75% of KC that don't even notice when the trail points 'up'. For the 25% of us around town that have a hard time when the trail starts to incline, here are the nasty climbs of Stocksdale:

Stocksdale climbs

The section that starts at marker 8 and ends at 13 (or vice versa). To me, that is a serious amount of pain. I can't stand it. Of course I need it to get better, but I still hate it with a a passion. I can only do 3 1/2 laps on my best days, and that extra half lap will never include this area.... ever. If this area didn't exist, I could probably do 6-7 laps. Everything else at Stocksdale is still up or down, but this area somehow makes it 10 times worse. It is steeper and usually has less traction. My guess tomy is that you are a part of the 75% that won't even notice it since you probably require a sustained climb of 5 minutes or longer to realize you are actually gaining in elevation, however, for folks like me, I can handle the steep climbs here for about 20 seconds.... then there is a switch back, I look up, and it is another steep climb. Then I get mad. This damn area has halted good rides of mine when I want to put in one more lap but I know the moment I hit this area it will steal every last ounce of energy I have left. I think this area only accounts for 1 mile out of the whole loop, but I probably spend at least 50% of my energy per lap on this one mile.

Ok, done complaining. I'm going to go work on this area some more so I stop sucking at climbing. :lol:

tomy

Postby tomy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:09 am

NHabes79 wrote: My guess tomy is that you are a part of the 75% that won't even notice it since you probably require a sustained climb of 5 minutes or longer to realize you are actually gaining in elevation,

:lol:

Wish I was but nope, fat and out of shape. :oops: I need to work on climbing, its my weakness....

Thanks all or your insights. Hopefully weather holds and I'll make the trip up next week....

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:23 am

tomy wrote:
NHabes79 wrote: My guess tomy is that you are a part of the 75% that won't even notice it since you probably require a sustained climb of 5 minutes or longer to realize you are actually gaining in elevation,

:lol:

Wish I was but nope, fat and out of shape. :oops: I need to work on climbing, its my weakness....

Thanks all or your insights. Hopefully weather holds and I'll make the trip up next week....

I think it all depends on if you are talking to Strava Tomy or Rasta Tomy. :)

Strava Tomy don't take no sh*t from any hill. Rasta Tomy don't care about the hills. :) :)
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

Return to “Stocksdale Park/Walnut Woods”