Stocksdale Pain

Trail Information | Check trail status
Toxis

Stocksdale Pain

Postby Toxis » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:47 pm

I don't remember any huge hills yesterday. I went both ways (giggity), CCW twice, CW once. Sure there were short climbs but nothing like what BuRP has to offer.
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

tomy

Re: Stocksdale Pain

Postby tomy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:54 pm

Toxis wrote:I don't remember any huge hills yesterday. I went both ways (giggity), CCW twice, CW once. Sure there were short climbs but nothing like what BuRP has to offer.

I've been lied to....... :|

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:03 pm

tomy wrote:
Toxis wrote:I don't remember any huge hills yesterday. I went both ways (giggity), CCW twice, CW once. Sure there were short climbs but nothing like what BuRP has to offer.

I've been lied to....... :|

twss
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:05 pm

tomy wrote:where are the big climbs I've heard about?

Can you disclose the source of where you heard about Stocksdale having big climbs?

tomy

Postby tomy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:08 pm

jlbay wrote:
tomy wrote:where are the big climbs I've heard about?

Can you disclose the source of where you heard about Stocksdale having big climbs?

what difference does it make?

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:11 pm

You're making it up.

tomy

Postby tomy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:15 pm

OK, fine. The voices in my head told me.... :|

Hermanator

Postby Hermanator » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Whoa whoa whoa, this thread was started to share what lousy shape I'm in. I'm sure all you renegade mavericks have no problem with the puny climbs in question, but hauling my 250lbs up those inclines is a different story. 3 laps and you're in line for the slowest rider? Sounds like a ringer to me.

Toxis

Stocksdale Pain

Postby Toxis » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:34 pm

And what part of being able to do 3 laps proves speed? It did take me 1:41 worth of riding according to my bike computer. My phone died thanks to me not charging it the drive up so I don't know a true overall time. But apparently jlbay says I'm way faster than Muther so maybe I'm faster than I think I am. But knowing how much the Taco Tuesday crowd waits on me, I have to either say BuRP has way worse climbing or I'm truly a slow rider.

NHabes79

Stocksdale Pain

Postby NHabes79 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:53 am

You aren't slow. You fall into the 75% of KC that really isn't affected too much by climbing. You might think climbs bother you, but they don't when compared to the other 25% of KC riders. I wouldnt say the climbs at stocksdale are worse or equivalent to BuRP. BuRP definitely has some long sustained climbs that suck pretty bad (good for health and fitness, still suck though). There are still climbs at Stocksdale and they drain me pretty bad. Thats just the thing: ALL climbs drain me pretty bad, not just some. Looks like you are rattling off 33 minute laps. The best I've ever done is 35.5 min lap and I can ride stocksdale with my eyes closed. From what I understand, this was your first time so you went pretty quick on top of not knowing the trail at all. Lots of people get dropped by the normal taco Tuesday crew. Those guys are some of the best riders in town both with endurance and skill so I wouldn't necessarily use them as the 'norm'. Putting skill with good endurance is a recipe for getting dropped from a group ride fast. Not only can the normal BuRP crew keep up a good pace, but mix in some good skills and it becomes easier to keep the momentum going. Not only that, you tend to use much less energy as a skillful rider since every rock on the trail doesn't slam into the front tire thus slowing down momentum and requiring more energy to get up to speed again.

Ken Miner

Stocksdale Pain

Postby Ken Miner » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:11 am

Just to be clear: no one gets dropped by the regular Taco Tuesday crew.

Some may fall off the back but we stop to pick everyone up.
I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I usually show up, shirtless on the TV show, "Cops". Stay thirsty my friends.

NHabes79

Postby NHabes79 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:00 am

Ken Miner wrote:Just to be clear: no one gets dropped by the regular Taco Tuesday crew.

Some may fall off the back but we stop to pick everyone up.

Ken, I apologize. I worded my response incorrectly, and didn't mean it the way it read. I meant the typical taco tuesday crew at BuRP could easily 'pull away' from average to below average riders... if they wanted to. I too agree that the group on tuesdays do a great job picking up those that have fallen off the back. I've been to a few taco tuesday rides and have had an excellent time. Wish BuRP was a little closer to home as I very much enjoy the trails there. Great people, great trails.

Toxis

Stocksdale Pain

Postby Toxis » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 am

NHabes79 wrote:Great people, great trails.

Truth.

Toxis

Stocksdale Pain

Postby Toxis » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:12 am

NHabes79 wrote: Looks like you are rattling off 33 minute laps. The best I've ever done is 35.5 min lap and I can ride stocksdale with my eyes closed.

Well, not entirely. I started out and rode about 4.25mi then met jlbay, turned around and rode the other direction. Then I went CCW and did an entire lap so out of 3 laps, I cut ~2.5mi out. Either way, still slow haha.

Hermanator

Postby Hermanator » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:59 pm

I can pretty confidently say I've never done a lap in the 30's. I've never kept track but it seems much longer, no skills and no endurance is the key. I'll have to get a phone app and time myself next time I'm out... but I think I've got this slowest rider thing in the bag. There's a new sheriff in town for 2013, Toxis.

Return to “Stocksdale Park/Walnut Woods”