Berms and rollers

Trail Information | Check trail status
mtwmbw

Berms and rollers

Postby mtwmbw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:36 am

All,

The next time you have a chance to ride at Stocksdale you will notice some major enhancements. We have added a number of rollers and berms to the main trail loop.

This will favor riding the trail counterclockwise. So, as you leave the parking lot ride past the kiosk and turn right into the woods. A couple hundred feet in you will find a small berm that sets you up for about 6 rollers (12-18 inch high) that then transition into a quick left sided berm, then a small right berm and then a short distance down a big berm that shoots you out of the woods. As you enter the woods before the pond (Los Cincos) you will find all of those turns bermed.

There are also a series of berms on the far north trail. These are on phase 3 and will favor a clockwise route.

Also watch out for major expansion of the pump track this spring.

I would also like to caution folks to be attentive while riding the berms and rollers, etc. They are there to enhance the trail, but remember Stocksdale is a fairly busy trail and we still need to be courteous and attentive to other users. These features are in areas that will be easily usable by younger kids (that's good) and we get a lot of trail runners and dog walkers. If you are aware of another trail user, skip railing that berm and yell out a nice "hello". You can rail it next time.

A big thanks to the Liberty Parks Department and the Liberty Parks Foundation for making these enhancements possible. You guys should know the City of Liberty is awesome to work with. If you are out there and see a Liberty Parks employee let them know how we appreciate them.

Aaron Browning did the dirt work and Clay Lozier was helping with layout, etc. Nice work guys.

FlatLander

Re: Berms and rollers

Postby FlatLander » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:31 am

Good stuff. Hope to string a Stocks-Hodge-Rock & Run ride together sometime soon.
Micah Luffman

Hermanator

Postby Hermanator » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:47 pm

My favorite trail just got better. Is there a new map in existence/needed? Can't wait for it to dry out so we can put these through their paces.

Muther

Postby Muther » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:13 pm

I did Stocks last night. It was my first time with the new berms and rollers. Love them.

Them are still new, so they need more smooting and burning in. They may need a few teaks here and there to enhance the entrances and hte exits, and maybe a tweak here and there to improve the shape to add some speed. I am no expert at riding them or building them, but yeah, I love them. Once we have some time and some tires on them, I think the improvements will be self evident.

Grat job!!!
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Muther

Postby Muther » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Wow, these are great. You really can use them to buold a lot of speed. Not that tha section was slow or boring, it wasn't, but now that section is lightning quick.

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:31 am

I felt like they lost some of their shape and would like to get out there for another tuning work day. A couple of them work well but a majority could use more shaping. Matt, what are you thinking on how they rode?

Muther

Postby Muther » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:28 am

I thought they were great, but I am no BMX'r. If you think you can make them better/faster, I am all for it. I would help, but I am working all weekend.

Dr.Dover

Postby Dr.Dover » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:14 pm

They come up a little short on exit going downhill but still a great improvement from what it was.
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. - Mahatma Gandhi

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:40 pm

There is one in particular that's way short. Matt and I deliberated over it. Because of runoff, we couldn't create a cup but talked about gapping the berm to a finish a few feet further.

mtwmbw

Postby mtwmbw » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:13 pm

Justin,

Sorry about slow reply (I only check forums occasionally). I agree with you 100%. After the horrible rain season, they have slumped and lost some dirt. And I thought we needed new dirt pretty much right away after we finished them.

Would love to plan a couple work days soon around this. Could probably do some work later this month (?next weekend) and in September. This could even be a couple weekday evening sessions. I would like to see if we can get the city to get us some dirt dropped on site for us. We can drag some dirt from the trail and backs of the berm, but having a few wheelbarrows full of new stuff would be good.

On a related note, Clay has the pump track back in shape. He met with Scott (Raytown BMX guy) and they have future plans. Scott apparently has plans to help more at SWW and he will be a great resource with his experience with dirt sculpting.

In short, I think the berms have been a good start. We are on a learning curve. We'll add to them, refine them, etc. My hope would be to add a tabletop or two to the skills loop in the future.

mtwmbw

Postby mtwmbw » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:15 pm

Oh, and I just rented UnReal on iTunes. So now I know all I need to know about building dirt berms, tabletops, 40 foot gap jumps, etc.

Return to “Stocksdale Park/Walnut Woods”