Commuting

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
Matt.t

Commuting

Postby Matt.t » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 am

Hey y'all - been commuting and need a new backpack. The one I have is fine for hailing things, but the straps are too close together. Meaning, it is damn tight on my arms and the base of my neck. Any ideas on a backpack that has a wider distance between the straps or maybe a backpack made for 'big' folks?

Jones
ER Officer

Re: Commuting

Postby Jones » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:11 am

Not a direct answer to your question but when I lived close enough to commute i used a rear rack and panniers. Found for me I showed to work less sweaty and the rear rack setup acted as a rear fender saving me from the occasional shit streak.

Closer to a direct answer have you looked at using a messenger type satchel vs back pack?

Good luck I wish I lived close enough or had the time to commute.
No Guts No Glory, No Brains Same Story

Matt.t

Postby Matt.t » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks man. My commute is 11.75 miles in the am and somewhere between 14 and 17 on the way home.

My wife bought me a really nice and expensive chrome bag, but I was never able to keep it from sliding / flopping around while riding. I still have it, so I'll give it a try.

Funny, I've been searching for pictures or a video about how to properly use a messenger bag with no luck. It must just be that easy.

mt_biker

Postby mt_biker » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 am

I use an Osprey Momentum 32
https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/produ ... 2_792.html

I commute once or twice a week (33 miles round trip) and have been using it for a couple of years.

It's been a great back and still looks brand new.

Carter.

ssotaku

Postby ssotaku » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:24 pm

I rarely carry it when I commute (I prefer stashing all my shit in my rack top bag), but I have a Banjo Brothers Commuter backpack that is designed for cycling (has pretty wide straps, and sits lower on the back) and would recommend, assuming you are okay with just one cavernous compartment (plus a few small outboard pockets) and no internal dividers. I use mine all the time and it has lasted for several years.

http://banjobrothers.com/products/curre ... ck-medium/

DD_1speed

Postby DD_1speed » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:32 am

Seatpost mount racks are a quick and easy option for top bags or panniers (or both) and usually have a quick release so you can remove the rack when you don't want it. And yeah racks will keep you less sweaty and solves your big-pack dilemma.

I have a momentum and a medium sized chrome bag for commuting, though i dont' have any recommendations for packs for big folks. I would say to check at local outdoor shop and see what they have for you to try on. Same with the Chrome bags (which have a long main strap which should be big enough to fit around most people)

Both work fine in my experience, with pros and cons to each.
The Osprey pack (or any backpack i have used) are great, but tend to be a little bulky and hot. On the positive side: storage (esp. when full) is often preferable compared to a messenger type bag. Mostly when carrying groceries, you can more easily keep things from getting smashed.

Chrome bag is my go-to for beer runs, light commute, light grocery getting. Lots of little pockets for small items, super durable, and when properly worn sits higher and off the middle of your back, keeping you a little cooler compared to full backpacks. Also when properly secured allows you to ride pretty aggressively and keeps your pack tight against you. There's gotta be a chrome how-to thing out there somewhere, but for me the key is the little safety strap off the top main strap. this fits under your arm and when you have the main strap/buckle adjusted is very secure. (this also prevents your smartass friends from pressing your buckle and watching your pack fall to the ground. which is pretty funny except when you've got a laptop or something in there)

hope that helps.
devin

Return to “The Road to Hell is Paved...”