Thieves! How bad is it?

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
DD_1speed

Thieves! How bad is it?

Postby DD_1speed » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:22 am

Hey all,

Moving to KC later this month, and of course will want to ride around as much as possible.
So the question is: How bad is the bike theft situation?

Riding from like 61st (brookside area) to downtown and everywhere in between, how much do i need to worry about getting my bike snagged?

(solidly locked of course)
- during the day at restaurants, grocery store, etc?
- bar hopping in the evenings (not overnight)?
- and yes i keep hearing about how bad things are east of troost, but otherwise are any areas worse than others?

Follow-up question: I see there are few off-street paths to connect things, but lots of "marked bike routes". Are these indeed the safest ways to commute or is it best just to figure out side street routes?

Thanks
Devin

quannum

Re: Thieves! How bad is it?

Postby quannum » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:40 pm

i would say the westport area is the worst for bike theft. hefty locks and no overnight locking there is the proper protocol.

outside of that though isnt so bad. ive gotten away with a mid-level folding lock from on-guard for many years around the city and have never felt like i needed more.

kc is improving as a commuter-friendly city but theres work to be done to make it easy for everyone. meaning that youll have to do some trial and error runs to figure out the best route for your particular commute.
family forum cock balls ban me.

Possum

Re: Thieves! How bad is it?

Postby Possum » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:21 pm

If you're riding from Brookside to downtown, you'll probably like Oak Street to Gilham. It's a nice straight corridor. 3+ lanes wide, so you usually have room to ride, not a not of interruptions. Not quite wide enough to be a good traffic corridor so it doesn't carry as much traffic. When I lived at 73rd and Main and worked downtown, that was my main corridor. I'm a full suburbanite now, so I don't see it that often.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

Return to “The Road to Hell is Paved...”