e-Bike (road & commuter) experiences?

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
Hawkgx

e-Bike (road & commuter) experiences?

Postby Hawkgx » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:55 am

Definitely do not want to go down the slippery slope of e-MTBs out on the trails with this topic!

I have a friend who's considering getting e-bikes for him and his wife. Would be for riding around his neighborhood (for the most part anyway) and possibly some Streamway riding.

Anyone here have first-hand, or close second-hand experience with road/commuter type e-bikes? He's parking lot demo'd the Specialized Turbo Vado and Turbo Como models. He also demo'd the Cannondale Quick Neo as well. He's also considering Pedego bikes as well (evidently there's a dealer in Topeka).

I have ZERO knowledge or experience with e-bikes, so hoping to get some feedback for him from local riders.
Thanks!
Hawk

dyed

Re: e-Bike (road & commuter) experiences?

Postby dyed » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 am

I work for EVELO so I'm pretty familiar...

Pedego sucks. Don't do that. If you must be cheap, look at Juiced or Rad.

The Specialized and Cannondales mentioned are pretty pricey for very little power. Sleek integration, but the electronics are way behind the curve.

Budget option: consider converting an existing bike that they already like. It's about a grand for a package nicer than anything we've talked about so far.

I should probably give a shout out to EVELO as well. We make some cool bikes, though they are far from cheap. Best warranty I'm aware of though. Delta is my favorite and the new Aurora will be pretty cool as well. Galaxy if you want slick tires.
~Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!

Hawkgx

Postby Hawkgx » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:22 am

So what is it you don’t like about the Pedego bikes?

dyed wrote:I work for EVELO so I'm pretty familiar...

The Specialized and Cannondales mentioned are pretty pricey for very little power. Sleek integration, but the electronics are way behind the curve.

Budget option: consider converting an existing bike that they already like. It's about a grand for a package nicer than anything we've talked about so far.

I should probably give a shout out to EVELO as well. We make some cool bikes, though they are far from cheap. Best warranty I'm aware of though. Delta is my favorite and the new Aurora will be pretty cool as well. Galaxy if you want slick tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkgx

Postby Hawkgx » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:23 am

And what do you see as the cons for the Specialized and Cannondale e-bikes?

dyed wrote:I work for EVELO so I'm pretty familiar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dyed

Postby dyed » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:33 pm

Pedego sells cheap bikes at expensive prices. Somehow, they managed to become a market leader doing this. (They were one of the very first brands in the market that didn't immediately disappear)

Specialized and Cannondale are selling stuff that is perfectly competitive in Europe, but not really in the US. Our laws allow for much more powerful bikes, so why spend that much money and only get 1/3 of the power? Like I said, good bikes, slick integration. Pretty weak motors.
~Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!

pitbull

Postby pitbull » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:54 pm

dyed wrote:Budget option: consider converting an existing bike that they already like. It's about a grand for a package nicer than anything we've talked about so far.

That's what I did; old rigid mtb, mid-drive motor. It cut my ~14 mile commute time by ~25%, and is great for errands.
The essence of mountain biking is, and always has been, about riding your bike off road. Lycra/baggy, up/down, fast/slow - whatever. Just ride your bike. ~ Keith Bontrager

Return to “The Road to Hell is Paved...”