Road etiquette reminder (MY opinion, at least)

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
PlanetTony

Road etiquette reminder (MY opinion, at least)

Postby PlanetTony » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:02 am

While riding Withers Rd into Liberty from the south, I found myself with two others. Two others that had/have a very different idea of what is "right"/appropriate when it comes to interacting with the 4-wheeled variety. Initially, at a 4-way stop sign, they passed the few cars waiting at the stop sign, (many with their right-turn-signal flashing) on the right! This pretty quickly boiled my chamois.

I felt it appropriate to remind them that "doing such things works against all cyclists as a whole", but by the time I caught up to them, they were already busy passing waiting cars in the left turn lane at the next light on the left!

I'm not a perfect law-abiding citizen, but I try to treat all the rules of the road the same on my road bike as I would in my F-150 or on my Nomad. Especially at peak commuter hours, in crowded areas, where motorists are doing good just to keep track of all the other 4-wheelers around 'em.

So, yes, you CAN get creative and fit in a lot of places on a bicycle that you can't in a car. You probably won't even get a ticket, but there is a very good chance you'll stain some drivers opinions of the lycra-clad bicycle variety. There's also a very good chance that you'll get hit, knocked over, and/or really effed up and then somehow try to blame the motorist. Not cool.

What's mostly not cool? Is the fact that the motorist you just confused/frustrated/pissed off is going to carry that resentment into the next time they encounter ME on the road, and that just ain' right.

Carry on, but THINK.
If it has two wheels, (and...a motor, apparently/lately...) I wanna ride it!

2010 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2015 KTM 200 XCW
Giant XTC Advanced 27.5"
Giant TCR Advanced 1
Felt F65x
Echo Pure

Somefearinhere

Re: Road etiquette reminder (MY opinion, at least)

Postby Somefearinhere » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:33 am

Thanks Tony. Good reminders!!
Max

All Religions Are Fairy Tales

NHabes79

Postby NHabes79 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:13 am

Well written, Tony. I completely agree.

BTW, boiling chamois? That can't possibly smell good.

tomy

Postby tomy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:05 am

I agree with what Tony wrote, though my "roadie" time is limited to riding my mtb on local streets in town and gravel through the countryside.

On the flip side, I've noticed the over-accomodating drivers. For example, the other day I'm riding down a street, and a couple cars pass. After the second passes, I move towards the left to cue in behind him, knowing I'm making the next right. I guess he was going the same way so he stops, allowing me to pass him on the right before he turns. Not. I'm now behind him so had to shout "GO!" at him so he'd get out of the way. :oops: I seem to get alot a of this down here in small town America.

What always gets me is the newbs riding on the wrong side of the street, even in bike lanes on busy streets.

Anyways, just my two cents.

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:34 am

I had a guy riding the wrong side through the intersection of Gregory at Wornall the other day on a nice bike in a spandex team kit. No clue what he was thinking.

PlanetTony

Postby PlanetTony » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:56 pm

There's improvements that could be made all around: bikes trying a wee bit harder to honor the rules of the road; drivers accepting and being able to anticipate/expect that; drivers honoring that.

On my return trip home, I was being PUMMELED by air-born debris (this was at about 7:15 - 7:45), booking it trying to beat the rain/lightning home (near Worlds of Fun) when I got a flat just SW of the Ford plant. Stopping to swap tube took just long enough that the skies opened and the lightning got uncomfortably close. At 48th & 435, I reached the stop sign clearly before the north-bound car to my left (even if it was a "tie", the tie goes to vehicle to the right). In any case, it's UGLY out, and I'm living that rule-of-the-road and go first, only to have the car try to jump past me ("luckily" turning left to go the same west direction as me), then travel the same speed as me under 435, yet push her way over to the right. When we both leave the next stop sign, she's barely out-accelerating me...to then...turn on her right turn signal, and/but/yet stop in front of me like she expected me to pass her right-turning car...on the right???

That, I truly believe, is just mis-understanding/mis-informed/under-educated...mainly...? But soaking wet, arm hairs erect with nearby electricity, and not in the mood, it was all I could do not to yell and give a one-fingered salute. Instead, I just arm-signaled my lane change to pass this dumb-azz, now-half-parked car in the right lane and continue on home...

2015 KTM 200 XCW
Giant XTC Advanced 27.5"
Giant TCR Advanced 1
Felt F65x
Echo Pure

PlanetTony

Postby PlanetTony » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:05 pm

*** In summary: my initial, brief "rant" is purely aimed at what we, the bicycle community CAN control. The rest, we have to be ready for, anticipate, and react to. There's just no sense in irritating drivers any more than we already do just being on the roads and acting right ***

2015 KTM 200 XCW
Giant XTC Advanced 27.5"
Giant TCR Advanced 1
Felt F65x
Echo Pure

Dr.Dover

Postby Dr.Dover » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Great initial post Tony. I couldn't agree more. It boils my chamois to see riders doing that or be in a group ride with that going on. I always speak up and let them know that "that ain't cool". They wonder why people have a bad attitude towards us on the road.

The other points are good about drivers acting funny with cyclists. Just the other day we were on the tandem. We stopped at the stop sign waiting for a car to go by. The driver stopped for no reason and waived us across the intersection. I waved them on to keep going, but they wouldn't go. While that was very gracious and kind, it was totally unnecessary and more of a hindrance to us because we were not ready to roll at that second. I prefer to be treated just like another vehicle out there.
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. - Mahatma Gandhi

dgraham

Postby dgraham » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Dr.Dover wrote:We stopped at the stop sign waiting for a car to go by. The driver stopped for no reason and waived us across the intersection. I waved them on to keep going, but they wouldn't go. While that was very gracious and kind, it was totally unnecessary and more of a hindrance to us because we were not ready to roll at that second. I prefer to be treated just like another vehicle out there.

I've had that happen as well. I had to get off my bike and lay it on the ground before the car would move despite them having no stop sign.

quannum

Postby quannum » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm

dgraham wrote:
Dr.Dover wrote:We stopped at the stop sign waiting for a car to go by. The driver stopped for no reason and waived us across the intersection. I waved them on to keep going, but they wouldn't go. While that was very gracious and kind, it was totally unnecessary and more of a hindrance to us because we were not ready to roll at that second. I prefer to be treated just like another vehicle out there.

I've had that happen as well. I had to get off my bike and lay it on the ground before the car would move despite them having no stop sign.

what an odd choice of actions. i would make fun of you for doing that, but i'm notorious for putting my car in park at a 4-way stop until the other person goes. nothing like a good ol fashioned nice-off.

when i lived in DC, most cars would just assume that cyclists were going to run stop signs. almost to the point that if you did come to a complete stop, then you were the asshat holding up traffic. it was especially annoying on the days when DC police would post up on corners and give out citations for cyclists running signs/lights. you want to obey the law and not get ticketed, but you also want to go with the flow and not piss people off.

all that being said, i'll take the overly-cautious driver over the overly-aggressive driver any day of the week.
family forum cock balls ban me.

rewfew

Postby rewfew » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:02 am

I'm soon to be re-entering bicycling after a decade plus of absence. And I'm mildly reticent to do so for just the reasons and more listed. I've noticed over the years a certain arrogance among'st more riders that would seem to hamper those that are aware of the inherent dangers of riding a bicycle amidst highly kinetic objects of cars and trucks. Riding single file on busy streets seems antiquated to the mission now to exhort bicyclists rights by filling the lane side by side. With cell phones and texting as it is. It's a crap shoot of being maimed for life or killed outright, (as I've seen once in my former cycling experience). I'm gonna do it, but I'm getting older, (63), and I sure as hell don't want to shorten what life I'd intended to extend by cycling. Some musings from the web....http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2033728/posts

Flowrida
Location: Eastern Jackson County, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Postby Flowrida » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:17 pm

Saw this was a bump from a couple years ago but here's my opinion. Treat a cyclist like any other motorist. and vice versa.. (note that I wrote cyclist and not "biker" I hate it when media says a "biker" was hit in an accident. There's a big difference between a lycra clad guy on a 20 pound bike and a leather wearing guy on a 400 pound Harley..) I digress..

First: They are cagers. All of them. If they don't ride a bike or run down a street they don't get it. A cager is the worst human on earth. It might be a school teacher, a cop, your grandma or the electrician who lives next door. You get someone behind the wheel of a car and they become a different person. They lack perspective. They only see life at 65 mph instead of 165 bpm.

Second: Hey I could complain about the stuff I've seen cyclist do but its inconsequential to the stupid things motorist do. No turn signal, left turn signal left on for miles, failure to maintain speed, blah blah. There are so few of us out there that when you pick out one thing that a rider does wrong it gets labeled.. that guy on a bike blew through that stop sign..if it was a guy in a white Ford Focus you wouldn't hold a resentment to Fords or white cars..right?

Third: Its our fault. Cycling has not got "the word out" like other movements. I see the "Look twice, watch for motorcycles" signs everywhere. And I mean ALL OVER THE PLACE. On bumper stickers, billboards, lawn signs. So WTF? Some of the stupidest things I've seen on the road have been done by a guy on a motorcycle. Passing in between lanes, passing on the shoulder, going 50 mph above speed limit, etc..but the point is to watch our for them. What we need to do is watch out for the guy going 15 mph, on the right side of the road, wearing a bright green jersey. But we don't. That guy gets blown my at 50 mph.

Final thoughts: I've told my wife that she had to be married to a cyclist to become a good driver. Most people don't ride a bike so they lack the perspective. You don't appreciate a driver moving over a lane until you have had to change a tire on the side of an interstate. Most cagers don't get it. If you don't understand then stand on the side of I70 and see what you think.
I like to complain and do nothing to make things better. Kurt Cobain

Toxis

Postby Toxis » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:16 am

Just last month I blew a tire on my driver's side on 435. Even on the wide as hell shoulder, I felt uncomfortable as my Element was getting shook by the air from passing cars. I was pushed over twice by people not giving me room.
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Return to “The Road to Hell is Paved...”