Hills

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
Neale

Re: Cyclist killed in KCK(Argentine) today

Postby Neale » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:45 am

ScottL wrote: In fact it has the highest average slope for a sustained 150ft of climbing I've found anywhere in the area.

Have you ridden Ogg Road from Mill Creek south to SMP?
Self-deception isn't the worst thing we do, but it makes it possible for us to do the worst things. -Timothy Keller

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:50 am

Neale wrote:
ScottL wrote: In fact it has the highest average slope for a sustained 150ft of climbing I've found anywhere in the area.

Where does Cambridge come in? is it not 150'?

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:48 am

jlbay wrote:
Neale wrote:

Where does Cambridge come in? is it not 150'?

Well Cambridge it is steeper for a 75 foot section of the climb or so...they are both over 150 total, I was just looking at a 150ft climb segment that had the highest average slope, I'd love to come up with some algorithm for searching that. S.Mill St also is up there, but less total climb...it is mostly splitting hairs but as a net climb I do think S.Valley is toughest.

Neale, I've not checked Ogg...I know it is up there too having driven it..I'll have to check that.

Back on topic, I know I'd feel worse if someone died as a result of my actions, but I would still feel terrible if a cyclist ran into my car and died, even they were completely at fault

EDIT: I just went back and checked.. I must have misread(or google earth readings were off, not unlikely)....Cambridge and S.Valley are both ~175 total and Cambridge is actually worse....~15% overall vs. just under 14%... the data for Ogg has a jump in it that looks wrong, so hard to gauge, it is over 200ft total climb, I think avg slope is less, though I know that one section is super steep.

I put Ogg segment in my map in Google that has my "Hillbilly" route....one that includes S.Valley, S.Mill, Cambridge, Wyoming and a few other gems:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=20 ... 15f6&msa=0

A few different routes I worked out, the latter one is actually two different segments due to the waypoint limits in Google maps...you get the idea...My goal was a 20 mi route with megaclimbing but little repetition, I think my latest route got it up to ~135ft/mi climbing more if you cut out the few miles getting to the steep hills to/from my house

Cairns
Site Admin

Postby Cairns » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:16 pm

Neale wrote:

Ogg gets steeper as you get to the top, which I think makes it harder. The Argentine hill is a consistent grade and it allows you to get into a rhythm. It's damn long and steep though.
111011 101101 101001

ScottL
ER Officer

Hills

Postby ScottL » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Cairns wrote:Ogg gets steeper as you get to the top, which I think makes it harder. The Argentine hill is a consistent grade and it allows you to get into a rhythm. It's damn long and steep though.

That's true, Vallley it is the most consistent of most big hills I've ridden, you don't need to change gearing if you budget the right amount of power for the climb. Cambridge gets steeper in the latter part more like Ogg.

I looked again on my Google Earth version at home and it matches my original stats I posted, even saving off the latest KML online..so chalk it up to inconsistencies with the software.... I wish the data for Ogg was better, with sharp drop-offs by the road, small anomalies in ground position mean big changes in the elevation, which seems clear looking at it in GE.

muxon

Postby muxon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:52 am

While we're talking about hills... have you guys ridden any out east? I haven't ridden the ones you're talking about for comparison, but I know Minter road in Grain Valley is a huge steep bastard. Also Lake Ridge road by the Blue Springs Lake dam. And not quite as steep, but I think the longest climb I've found in the area has to be Kentucky road from the circle at Sterling in Sugar Creek.
Scott Smith
Redline Monocog 29er | Cannondale CAAD10 | Diamondback CCX | Jamis Aurora
Ride Logs: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:01 am

muxon wrote:While we're talking about hills... have you guys ridden any out east? I haven't ridden the ones you're talking about for comparison, but I know Minter road in Grain Valley is a huge steep bastard. Also Lake Ridge road by the Blue Springs Lake dam. And not quite as steep, but I think the longest climb I've found in the area has to be Kentucky road from the circle at Sterling in Sugar Creek.

I haven't, my area I originally meant was stuff within 10 miles of my house or so...there is plenty along the Mo river that I know affords big long climbs, though I've not tried, I'd love to hear of more too.

I checked out that Kentucky Rd and you are right, not as steep as these but looks like a 270ft sustained climb w/avg slope 4.3%...that would be hard to beat for longest climb in the area. Most rides in the area are within 300ft elev range. I've not found one that had sustained climb that high though most sustained climbs don't go much above 200ft.

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Parkville has a few, but I don't know their names offhand. Ok, looked them up.
NW Bluff Ln/Dr and E 6th St. behind Park University. I'll leave analysis to Scott.

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 am

muxon wrote:Well that's unfortunate.

Proceed with discussion of good climbing hills in the area.

Hilarious. :twisted:

Blue Valley Park area has some killers. East KC in general...can be sketchy sometimes (eh) but GREAT riding.
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi