I bought my first road bike...

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
MTBjunkie

I bought my first road bike...

Postby MTBjunkie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:01 am

And now I'm going to hell.

I found a sweet deal on an unnamed touring bike (that's in awesome condition) with racks and panniers from the local consignment shop here in Leadville. So I'll be randomly asking questions regarding parts and service as I have zero experience in this realm. The bike is not complete, but I also got a big tub of parts for free, so I'm hoping I can piece it together.

My first question is:
The bike has a Rolf wheelset. Will this hold up with a 200lb rider and touring gear for a multi-day ride?
For those that don't know me, I'm an aggressive mountain biker, so I tend to cringe at the sight of something that looks flimsy.

2nd:
The bike is without brake/shifting levers. Any suggestions on cheaper options that are not friction shifters?

3rd:
Any suggestions for a more relaxed handlebar that can function with a handlebar bag. How much does the width of the bar matter for comfort?

Thanks,

Shannon
Ride bikes and be happy.

tomy

Re: I bought my first road bike...

Postby tomy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:55 am

MTBjunkie wrote:And now I'm going to hell.

you're gonna have some company 8)

Possum

Postby Possum » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:57 am

I got a set of Rolf Vector wheels with my cross bike. It has held up for gravel riding (I'm currently at about 215). I'm not sure how confident I would be about loaded touring. You're a pretty smooth rider, so you should get pretty good mileage out of them, but the "loaded touring" part might worry me.

I would look around for some 8 or 9 speed bar-end shifters vs. STI levers. Barcons are cheaper, easy to set up, and last forever. I find that the really nice DuraAce 7800 STI levers that I have need to be cleaned out and lubed on a reasonably regular basis to keep them working right, and it's a little annoying.

I like to run a Salsa Bell Lap bar in the widest width that they make. I ride mainly on the hoods, and these bars provide a nice wide top section for mountain bikers like me. Gives you some variety on hand placement, and the wide (46cm?) bar is easier for me to adjust to coming from a mountain bike.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

watts888

Postby watts888 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 am

Reconfirming your first statement. Yes, you are going to Hell.

Best of luck with it. Any idea of age or parts that are in the box? (number of gears, freewheel/freehub, wheelsize)
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

pitbull

Postby pitbull » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Agree with Possum. My two cents:

1. I don't have personal experience with Rolfs but I'd be wary. If you break a spoke you'd probably be SOL. "Standard" touring wheels are 36 spoke, though I've had no problems with hand-built 32 spoke wheels.

2. Separate brake levers & bar-end shifters. I have Tektro levers on a couple bikes and they're fine; no complaints. Shimano bar-end shifters are indexed (rear-only), work great, and last forever. The rear also has a friction mode, which is useful if the derailleur hanger bends. FWIW, friction shifting's not difficult and actually kinda nice in a way. Retroshifts are another option; they work really well and aren't crazy expensive.

3. Any drop bar should work with a handlebar bag. The Nitto Noodle bar is highly regarded. Width is subjective; I also prefer wide bars - 46 or 48 cm.

Hope this helps; good luck with your build and post some pics!
The essence of mountain biking is, and always has been, about riding your bike off road. Lycra/baggy, up/down, fast/slow - whatever. Just ride your bike. ~ Keith Bontrager

Tim Greene

Postby Tim Greene » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:16 pm

I will bet the Rolf's will hold up well. I have put thousands of miles on crazy light Rovals.

And you are only going to hell if you put a power meter on in conjunction with Rotor rings....

When you start babbling about 20 minute power average and how many joules you put out on a ride, we will know you have crossed over to the dark side...
--------- __o
------- _`\<,_
------ (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jeff

Postby jeff » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:37 am

for riding the Rolfs are great for anything loaded I would be weary. Nashbar has a set of Vuleta hd wheels that are stout and fairly cheap.
Fart in a car you may have a wreck
Fart on a bike you will go faster
I re-define Clydesdale

MTBjunkie

Postby MTBjunkie » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:48 am

Thanks for all the input. I've been too busy lately to put any time into this build, but I've just been voluntold that I'm doing a century in June from Buena Vista to Leadville and back, so I better get on it. I'll post pics and more questions as they come up.

-Shannon
Ride bikes and be happy.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:49 pm

Not completely going to hell, but on my way. bought a early 80s Schwinn for $15. It seems OK, although the fit was a little small. I plan on greasing bearings and maybe replacing the housings/cables based on condition. Tires are toast though. I'd ride 10mph around the neighborhood max. 27"x1 1/4". Before I bought some, wanted to see if anybody had an old pair in the back of their closet stinking up the place.

pitbull

Postby pitbull » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:21 pm

watts888 wrote:Not completely going to hell, but on my way. bought a early 80s Schwinn for $15. It seems OK, although the fit was a little small. I plan on greasing bearings and maybe replacing the housings/cables based on condition. Tires are toast though. I'd ride 10mph around the neighborhood max. 27"x1 1/4". Before I bought some, wanted to see if anybody had an old pair in the back of their closet stinking up the place.

I have three (tires, not pairs) you're welcome to. Holler.
The essence of mountain biking is, and always has been, about riding your bike off road. Lycra/baggy, up/down, fast/slow - whatever. Just ride your bike. ~ Keith Bontrager

watts888

Postby watts888 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:40 pm

son of a. I just bought some off nashbar. Oh well. Thanks a lot for the offer though.

Next thing I learned, 80s bikes have ungodly short seatposts. I think the seat post was something like 6-7" long. Messed up size too, 25.8mm. I have a 26.0mm seatpost that's over 14" long, but it won't work. Kind of reluctant to throw an aluminum post into a steel frame too. I've been bit by metal fusion before. Had to hacksaw an aluminum seatpost out of a Trek frame.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:18 pm

Going on my first "long" road ride tomorrow morning. Any recommendations for safe road routes in south-west KC? I'm currently planning on heading west from 95th & Renner area, and see where it takes me (Desoto maybe?). Contemplating something south off Metcalf too. Tried to ride a road bike on the asphalt trails, and it was kind of a mess. Felt like I had to slow down a whole lot going around corners, and felt too fast coming up on people.

flynn

Postby flynn » Thu May 12, 2016 3:53 pm

watts888 wrote:Going on my first "long" road ride tomorrow morning. Any recommendations for safe road routes in south-west KC? I'm currently planning on heading west from 95th & Renner area, and see where it takes me (Desoto maybe?). Contemplating something south off Metcalf too. Tried to ride a road bike on the asphalt trails, and it was kind of a mess. Felt like I had to slow down a whole lot going around corners, and felt too fast coming up on people.

Bait Shop route is usually pretty solid.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/12374494
I use my fat bike as an excuse for why I'm slow, but I really just suck at riding.

Return to “The Road to Hell is Paved...”