KATY Trail connector - soon?

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
shoffner

Re: KATY Trail connector - soon?

Postby shoffner » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:55 am

Flowrida wrote:Thanks Brett. I supposed those caves could be used for commuter parking or a maintenance facility for the trains.

Its interesting how the state got the lease from Ameren to use that line from PH to Windsor.

That area of Johnson's Shut-In's is insane if you've never been. Now it's a little prairie in the middle of a forest.
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi
Powered by Volker Bicycles

Flowrida
Location: Eastern Jackson County, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Postby Flowrida » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:54 pm

KC Star article about Katy trail extension.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 46570.html
I like to complain and do nothing to make things better. Kurt Cobain

Big Jim Mac

Postby Big Jim Mac » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Thought my story on the Rock Island from 1994 might be of interest. I'm sure the towns along the line have given up on getting a railroad back. The cool thing about this line is the four tunnels and the mile-long bridge over the Gasconade River, the longest bridge in Missouri. I walked across the bridge when I did this story and it's amazing. It stretches from bluff to bluff with the river in the middle. The tunnels are cool too. One goes under Highway 63 at Freeburg. This trail would be 100 times better than the Katy IMHO. The towns along the way would support long-distance riders much better than the ones on the Katy. I hope it gets done.

Here's the story. You may have to enlarge it a couple times to read it.

What, me hurry?

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:33 pm

Wow, good stuff Big Jim.
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi
Powered by Volker Bicycles

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:39 am

Thanks for sharing that, Jim! - that bridge is neat.
“There is no such joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto.” ― Cormac McCarthy

tomy

Postby tomy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:07 am

Indeed. Very interesting. Looks like a sweet route for a rail trail too.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:40 am

awesome story.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Big Jim Mac

Postby Big Jim Mac » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:48 am

I'll try to find my pics of that bridge. It's pretty scary the way it was built but no doubt would have rails on it if this becomes a rails trail. Norb Hilkemeyer took me across it along with a former state rep. The rep got halfway across and had a panic attack, thought we were going to have to carry him across but he pulled through. It's probably 30-40 feet over the river and has no rails whatsoever. When you get to the river, which seems insignificant you us so high, it tries to pull you downstream off the bridge, weird sensation. Nothing else like this in Missouri, IMHO. When I did the story, I was told all of the bridges had been rebuilt just before the RR shut down so they might still be in good shape. We should work to make this happen.
What, me hurry?

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:22 am

I think riding across this thing would be awesome.

“There is no such joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto.” ― Cormac McCarthy

Flowrida
Location: Eastern Jackson County, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Postby Flowrida » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:10 pm

If you google image the term gasconady railroad bridge it shows several pics of the bridge. I'm not sure what shape the line is on the eastern side of the state but near Gunn City its very overgrown. 30 years without use have let trees grow up on the tracks and farmers have run barb wire fence across the lines. There is a small bridge that has been burned down near big creek. There is talk of using the track for scrap but I can't imagine anyone going to that effort. It seems like that ship has sailed already if someone wanted that steel. I'm not opposed to the idea of opening the line up for bicycle traffic but its not like you are just going to throw down some gravel and have a trail. Think of how many deadfall trees fall on a trail in a year, then think what it would be like if it wasn't cleared for 30 years...

The more I read about that Rock Island Line it becomes obvious that the towns who rallied to have the line purchased by Southern Pacific were misled. I can't say that the line would have been a success under different ownership but you can't give folks a false sense of hope then let the ICC say that the line is too expensive to operate. In fact it sounds like SP and the ICC had a deal already worked out and stuck it to the towns along the line.

Its too bad it has taken decades for anything to get done. By the time a decision is made and work actually starts it will be years in the future to complete a trail. What may have cost a couple hundred thousand dollars 10 years ago will cost millions now.

Still..I wonder how the ride would be down those railroad ties on a fat bike at 15 psi.. :wink:

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Even the 3-mi unofficially-finished stretch SE of P Hill just took all the old ties and steel and shoved them off to the slopes on the sides. Not even sure scrappers would see it as worth their time if you opened up the trail for a free-for-all.

Flowrida

Postby Flowrida » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:43 pm

If you want to see some waste google map Beaufort, MO. Look on the south side of 50 hwy. There are miles of abandoned coal cars all lined up, rusting away.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:58 pm

I counted 270. A hobo's dream.

Flowrida

Postby Flowrida » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Kevin, you ought to check out the Nike missile battery on your wonderings. There is an old radar site off hwy KK. The buildings have all been torn down but you an access it through an open gate. There is also the launch site but someone owns it. They are using it for boat and RV storage...its just south of the radar site off 163rd st.

http://www.strava.com/activities/163795328

Geezer

Postby Geezer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:54 pm

Nike sites, used to drive by the battery just off I-35 near Olathe/Gardner all the time. You could see the missiles on a lauch platform pointed at the sky. Semi-good times.

Terry - save the trails

Return to “The Road to Hell is Paved...”