KATY Trail connector - soon?

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
Flowrida
Location: Eastern Jackson County, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Re: KATY Trail connector - soon?

Postby Flowrida » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:25 pm

The one near Pleasant Hill is KC30. There is also one up near Lawson that I'd like to check out sometime. Its KC10 and you can still see some of the site from google sat images. Gardner was KC60 and there was another in Leavenworth KC80.

The amount of money we spent during the Cold War to keep this country safe is staggering. We didn't beat the Soviets...we out spent them.
I like to complain and do nothing to make things better. Kurt Cobain

Nate King

Postby Nate King » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:40 am

Flowrida wrote:The amount of money we spent during the Cold War to keep this country safe is staggering. We didn't beat the Soviets...we out spent them.

Eisenhower's 1953 "Cross of Iron" speech.

Sorry for the drift off topic... you started it :)

Big Jim Mac

Postby Big Jim Mac » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:08 pm

Flowrida, those aren't abandoned coal cars near Beaufort. Ameren has kept the line open from Union to Gerald. After trains deliver coal to their plants in STL they are stored on the Rock Island until they get enough to haul back to Wyoming. That's why the loop idea goes up Highway 19 from Drake to Hermann instead of going all the way to the end of the Rock Island.

For awhile there was talk of a steam excursion train on this section. And those rails are worth a mint, that is high-carbon steel. Would take a lot to turn this into a trail, but look what it took you guys to build all those quality trails in KC. GORC starts on the east side, ERTA on the west and we meet in the middle where the ORTA and MORC have been going both directions.

If we don't tell anyone we'll have it built before they can stay stop,LOL.
What, me hurry?

Flowrida
Location: Eastern Jackson County, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Postby Flowrida » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:39 pm

It's getting closer...
http://mobikefed.org/

watts888

Postby watts888 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:30 am

Saw that last night on facebook. Nice to see the railroad company finally did it. Still looking at ~5-6 years before its rideable though.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Cbo-pleasanthill

Postby Cbo-pleasanthill » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:31 am

Was riding my bike south of Strasburg and was excited to see a small bulldozer on the Rock Island extension route. Just a week before on the same route it was untouched...rails and ties still overgrown with weeds. Now the rails and ties are gone and they are blazing a trail. Hope they begin to accelerate building this thing.

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:53 am

watts888 wrote:Saw that last night on facebook. Nice to see the railroad company finally did it. Still looking at ~5-6 years before its rideable though.

5-6 years? lolololololololol.

This is a 20+ year project, guaranteed. Unless someone steps up with some major funding.
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi
Powered by Volker Bicycles

Flowrida

Postby Flowrida » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:27 pm

I did some exploring the other day and thought I'd post up my findings. I started at the north-west side of Pleasant Hill on the completed path and rode into P. Hill. I took some side streets around and south on a gravel road named Purvis Rd. This is where the trail picks up again. Its cleared crushed limestone with new bridges. The trail is in good shape however is a little mushy in low spots. You can take this south-east a couple of miles and it ends at Roush Rd. There is a parking lot there.

From this point on the line has been bulldozed. The trees and brush are gone. The ties are pilled up to the side. All the rails and spikes have been removed. This is not completed trail and you are very much riding in the wilderness at your own risk.

The line between Roush and McKenzie Ridge Rd is in a low area and is currently holding water. I took gravel roads to get around this. Once at McKenzie you can get back on the line. Its soft dirt but has enough of the old river rock from the line left it it to give it some firmness.

Once you go past Dillons road you will come to the first of three old rail road bridges. The first is Big Creek. This is the best out of the three and I rode over it. You should exercise extreme caution when crossing these bridges! The next bridge is in pretty bad shape. Don't even try to cross it. Decades ago someone tried to set it on fire so the middle is damaged but you can get past that. Even if you do its washed out on the east end and not crossable. When you come to this bridge drop down to your south. If the creek isn't too high you can hop across the rocks and shoulder your bike to climb up the bank on the other side. The next bridge is Crawford creek and is in ok shape. Its got some collapsing ties and some are loose. It takes about a billions years for a rail road tie to rot so that tells you how old that line is. :shock:

After you get past that third bridge you come out of the woods into an open field. Look to the left and you will see an old hand well pump standing by itself in the field. That is all that remains of the village of Hadsell.

I stopped at Hadsell rd/2001st Rd/County Line Rd and returned home. The line goes on and the next time I'm out I will start from there and see how far it goes to the east.

New bridge on the completed part of trail.

Big Creek Bridge on the old line.

Not related to the subject at all, but how many times do you see a buffalo ranch? 8)

https://www.strava.com/activities/246577842

Snoopy

Postby Snoopy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:31 am

Awesome report. Really appreciate that.....I'll have to take my boy out for a little adventure, who knows maybe the whole fam. I love seeing old bridges like that. U even have a little history lesson built in there with Hadsell reference.
HAVE YOU WHEELIED ANYTHING TODAY?

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:20 pm

sick!
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi