trolley track trail / route to swope / burp?

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
Matt.t

Postby Matt.t » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 am

Hey folks, anybody have any news about the closed section of the trolley trail? Gonna fix it? Gonna let it create a new cave tourist site? I use it to ride to swope as well as burp, but curious if it might ever get fixed. As a change, I rode up 85th Street and likely won't do that again.

Second question.. any other good routes from north JOCO? Or the 75th and wornall area to swope by bike?

Thanks

shoffner

Re: trolley track trail / route to swope / burp?

Postby shoffner » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:54 am

I think they're doing a full geotechnical study. Obviously, the sinkhole was just a little bit bigger than they originally thought so there's going to have to be a major reroute somewhere.

I would guess it will probably stay closed indefinitely until they get the Blue River/Indian Creek connector done, then that will be the new route.
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi
Powered by Volker Bicycles

Muther

Postby Muther » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:02 am

I have a route through Joshnson county all the way to Swope.. Thinkinag about it, its from my comuting days, and it is not really a relaxing ride. Its all hardcore urban commando bike commuter stuff.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Matt.t

Postby Matt.t » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:13 am

You said it.. relaxing. Taking the trolley trail all the way to 85th and prospect and around Blue River Road is pretty relaxing. I might try to take 63rd or Meyer blvd to starlight and then across to the park. Those roads reasonably bike friendly past troost?

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:55 am

Matt.t wrote:You said it.. relaxing. Taking the trolley trail all the way to 85th and prospect and around Blue River Road is pretty relaxing. I might try to take 63rd or Meyer blvd to starlight and then across to the park. Those roads reasonably bike friendly past troost?

Meyer is by far the best way in. Way better than 85th, 75th, or Gregory.

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES

Team Colavita/Parisi

Matt.t

Postby Matt.t » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:59 am

shoffner wrote:
Matt.t wrote:You said it.. relaxing. Taking the trolley trail all the way to 85th and prospect and around Blue River Road is pretty relaxing. I might try to take 63rd or Meyer blvd to starlight and then across to the park. Those roads reasonably bike friendly past troost?

Meyer is by far the best way in. Way better than 85th, 75th, or Gregory.

Cool, thanks. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Urbs

Postby Urbs » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:56 pm

I think Meyer even has a path on some of it.
I live for Singletrack

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Urbs wrote:I think Meyer even has a path on some of it.

It does, but way more dangerous than just riding on that wide ass road because of all the intersections.

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES

Team Colavita/Parisi

Urbs

Postby Urbs » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:48 am

I still need to ride over to swope sometime. I think it's only 4 or 5 miles, but I always want to expend my energy on the trail rather than on road. On a similar note, I found a way to link up trolley trail to Indian creek the other day. You could use this to get to burp too. I took trolley to troost and took troost to 89th. Go east there, right on Wayne, and left on 89th terrace. This curves around and turns into Euclid. Take first right then first left and follow through federal buildings. When you come out, you are on Lydia and cross bannister. Indian creek trail is right after the bridge. It's not perfect, but it is low traffic and safe enough. Took my son on this route the other day.
I live for Singletrack

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:21 am

Urbs wrote:I still need to ride over to swope sometime. I think it's only 4 or 5 miles, but I always want to expend my energy on the trail rather than on road. On a similar note, I found a way to link up trolley trail to Indian creek the other day. You could use this to get to burp too. I took trolley to troost and took troost to 89th. Go east there, right on Wayne, and left on 89th terrace. This curves around and turns into Euclid. Take first right then first left and follow through federal buildings. When you come out, you are on Lydia and cross bannister. Indian creek trail is right after the bridge. It's not perfect, but it is low traffic and safe enough. Took my son on this route the other day.

Yeah, I've taken that way through except cut straight through from the TT on that old railroad spur to Euclid, through "Legacy Park", I guess that route is blocked now due to the sinkhole closure, haven't been in a while. Same route from Euclid through the complex, which is kinda surreal with all the barbed wire fencing too. You can also cut over and ride the levee and get on to 95th terrace a little closer to BR.

I've not ridden to swope recently, but when I did(from northern JC) I went through Mission Hills and Brookside mostly on side streets and then cut up to Meyer near the Paseo...then through the park over on Elmwood by the disc golf and down Gregory for that last bit, which is fast going down that hill and not bad if you wait for a lull in traffic. As Brett indicated I just use the wide edge of Meyer and avoid traffic, of course on a MTB, I will hop curbs and take bits of sidewalk at times just depending on traffic and parked cars etc. Not an ideal route, but it wasn't bad, pretty easy going.

River Rat

Postby River Rat » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:49 am

I've had good luck taking the Trolley Trail south until it ends at that curious little tavern. Yes, I ride through the closed section but I see older folks walking it alone so safety doesn't seem to be an issue. 85th isn't too bad and has a decent shoulder if you don't want to ride the closed section. You'll pass a gem of an old mansion on your right that'll catch your eye. Anyway, where the trail terminates out by the old John Deere and Avon facilities you take that right which is Prospect, heading South through an industrial area it takes you to Blue River Road (it's Grandview Road when it intersects with Blue River) This way you avoid that dicey hop on 71S to get to the River Road. From there you'll have a scenic cruise until you proceed to break the law and ride around/over the barricades past the baseball fields then pick up BURP past George Lake further down. I've never gotten caught entering or exiting the closed area but being honest with most cops buys a lot of goodwill.

Or if you wind through Waldo, jump on Ward Parkway southbound right past the mall; 89th, take the first right after the Rockhurst Reformatory (Madison) pick up Jarboe a few blocks west in between Holmes and Stateline off Bannister/95th it winds around to Bellevue, through a condo complex and dead ends right on Indian Creek Trail at 103rd, maybe four miles to Alex George Lake which is on Blue River Road. South of there are numerous trail heads, or the new leg connects right across from the end of the paved trail. Pretty cool!

Usually I'll take one route there and the other back, the latter maybe the better call if it's getting dark and/or wounded from Highline. About 20 miles round trip of pavement from 63rd and Brookside, mostly flat though.

Brookside/Waldo to Swope: Just past where the Paseo intersects with Meyer veer right, the road runs by the old Nazarene buildings, the medical center, and Southeast High this has little traffic and the most pleasant way into Swope I know of from the south, I'd drive it first not only so you know where you're going but to decide if you're going to feel like battling Swope after the Meyer hill. I do it and I'm a fat geezer but pace yourself. Once you're at the entrance to the park you'll need to cut to the road to the south behind Starlight with the old mansions, past the frisbee golf course, then east on Gregory which leads to Oldham. Resist the temptation to take Gregory back as it's narrow with traffic.
I know there's other map sites but aroundguides.com has a nice interface for bike routes.

BTW, It's a bad year for ticks. If you've extracted one and notice more than what a mosquito bite would incur get to a doc and they'll have a better chance of warding off Lyme. Also rashes on your shins are a symtom. It's a tough one for antibiotics to knock out, not hopeless but it can take several cycles if not caught early.

Sorry to ramble, you all have helped me out in the past, just trying to return the favors. Cheers!
Last edited by River Rat on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:10 am

Odd bit on that mansion. I bought a turkey fryer from the people who lived there back about 2008. Still use it as a brew pot for making beer. That house really was an unusual find considering the surrounding neighborhood.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:38 pm

River Rat wrote:Or if you wind through Waldo, jump on Ward Parkway southbound right past the mall, take the first right after the Rockhurst Reformatory (Madison) pick up Jarboe a few blocks west in between Holmes and Stateline off Bannister/95th it winds around to Bellevue, through a condo complex and dead ends right on Indian Creek Trail at 103rd,

Hi, good points in your post as a whole, on this one in particular, I've recently taken the Bellevue route from IC, after climbing that steep exit ramp. I actually did that in reverse too, down Madison and then took Ward Pkwy over to 89th, and then into the neighborhoods, including western hills drive. I also jog over to 91st terr on Wornall. Then wind through those neighborhoods and end up going down Sleepy Hollow Rd from 89th to 85th, a fun downhill segment. For those two busy streets I usually hit them when less traffic and look for a break in the traffic. Here is a random route I did recently involving that in particular:
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/794418346

I did toy with a route winding around through Leawood last week and cutting over to Bellevue across St Line Rd then dropping down into IC trail:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/796174453

That ended up slightly different, I was going to cut over to 97th on Lee Blvd, but dropped down to 98th then back to 97th before crossing St Line. Worked ok, I try different stuff each time. For that ride my wife was riding Mill Creek SMP trail and I was going to meet up with her at the end of my ride, over 30 miles of my ride was on paved trail. With all the rain even those trails are a bit crazy in spots, slick areas, mud, deep water...

Return to “The Road to Hell is Paved...”