Cyclist Killed in Douglas County

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.

watts888

Re: Cyclist Killed in Douglas County

Postby watts888 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:26 am

Saw this on the news last night. Horrible thing to happen. Google maps says it was on a road south of Clinton Lake, and just after lunch. I know it was an accident, the driver probably didn't see him, and nothing will come of it, but it still makes me mad that a similar accident with a pedestrian leads to a police charge but this probably won't. I've been out driving and haven't seen stuff at times. If the driver really didn't see the biker, it's hard to pass judgment on them for the accident, but it still makes me mad.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Geezer

Postby Geezer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:32 am

Steve Tilford posts the victim was a friend and former teammate. The guy was like a pro rider.

I don't understand why/how the "...I did not see ..." defense works. The car driver is not responsible for seeing what is in front of the car? Ideal conditions? Is it unreasonable to expect the driver to watch the road?

TR
Terry - save the trails

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:10 am

Police said it appears the driver was passing a west bound vehicle, possibly a truck, when he struck the bicyclist who was eastbound.

I wasn't there so it would be foolish to speculate, but it would appear the driver of the passing car saw there were no cars coming and proceeded to pass.

I just speculated anyway. How foolish of me.

Very tragic regardless of the cause.
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

Flowrida
Location: Eastern Jackson County, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Postby Flowrida » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:10 pm

It looks like that is a gravel road, and a pretty short one at that. Not sure why anyone would be passing another vehicle on gravel unless its stopped. Meh, its black top..People need to learn to look more than a car length ahead of them when they drive...

Everyday in this country cyclists, runners and kids get hit by cars and its near the bottom of the news feed. Some moron leaves their kid in a hot car and it makes national headlines and people want laws passed and devices to detect if a child is left in a vehicle. Odd.
I like to complain and do nothing to make things better. Kurt Cobain

Geezer

Postby Geezer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Flowrida wrote:... Odd.

Probably an emotional thing.

TR
Terry - save the trails

tgraham1

Postby tgraham1 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:20 pm

Flowrida wrote:Some moron leaves their kid in a hot car and it makes national headlines and people want laws passed and devices to detect if a child is left in a vehicle. Odd.

"Think of the children......" "If it saves just one child......" Been hearing this as justification for shitting on our rights for a few years now, I'm surprised it's taken them this long to apply it to other aspects of life.

RONE

Postby RONE » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:32 pm

Terrible tragedy. What a senseless loss of life. Yet another reason I maintain that cars and bicycles don't mix.

To the person asking why didn't the driver see the bicyclist, how about also considering the reverse question - why didn't the bicyclist see the oncoming vehicle and try to avoid it? Just something to consider.

Flowrida
Location: Eastern Jackson County, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Postby Flowrida » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:05 pm

RONE wrote:Terrible tragedy. What a senseless loss of life. Yet another reason I maintain that cars and bicycles don't mix.

To the person asking why didn't the driver see the bicyclist, how about also considering the reverse question - why didn't the bicyclist see the oncoming vehicle and try to avoid it? Just something to consider.

I was looking at the road on google street view. Seems to be a straight shot of asphalt with a couple of hills. It has a very wide gravel shoulder. I was kinda thinking the same thing, before I took a car head on I'd sure hit the gravel. Of course one doesn't expect a car to come barreling at them head on. No matter if the guy gets a ticket or not, he still failed to yield to oncoming traffic.

I don't think its so much that cars and bikes don't mix but there needs to be more education addressed at motorists. I think the "motorcycles are everywhere, look twice" campaign that started a few years ago is a good example. I've seen bumper stickers, yard signs and Scout billboards with the slogan. Its a simple message and does not come across condescending. People are like sheep and have to be reminded of something one hundred times before it starts to sink in. I think a good public awareness campaign would save some lives.
I like to complain and do nothing to make things better. Kurt Cobain

Muther

Postby Muther » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:44 am

I agree, this was terrible preventable tragedy.

Without placing blame on the deceased, at all, I know that from my commuting days, there were quite a few times that I was nearly maimed/killed. The only thing that got me through was awareness, and me being able to see what was happening, and then being able to avoid it (sometimes, admittedly by sheer luck).

All the driver education won't help, imo. If you ride the mean streets, you just have to be more aware, you have to have the skill, and you have to be able to deal with the fact that drivers of cars are all 99% "not there".
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:32 am

As a driver, I can count a couple times that if I wasn't paying COMPLETE ATTENTION, I might have easily ended a cyclist's life through no fault of my own nor the cyclist's. Be safe out there.
“There is no such joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto.” ― Cormac McCarthy

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:53 am

Opie wrote:As a driver, I can count a couple times that if I wasn't paying COMPLETE ATTENTION, I might have easily ended a cyclist's life through no fault of my own nor the cyclist's. Be safe out there.

Stuff happens so quick on the road, you might think you would have time to react but in reality all you have time to do is cuss and hope you don't break something on the landing, and that's if you are 'lucky' like me and survive the landing.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:26 am

Olathejoe wrote:
Opie wrote:As a driver, I can count a couple times that if I wasn't paying COMPLETE ATTENTION, I might have easily ended a cyclist's life through no fault of my own nor the cyclist's. Be safe out there.

Stuff happens so quick on the road, you might think you would have time to react but in reality all you have time to do is cuss and hope you don't break something on the landing, and that's if you are 'lucky' like me and survive the landing.

Deer are bad drivers, btw. Female deers, specifically.
“There is no such joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto.” ― Cormac McCarthy

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:27 am

Opie wrote:
Olathejoe wrote:

Deer are bad drivers, btw. Female deers, specifically.

Just wait until the deer learn how to use cellphones. It's just a matter of time.

saturnine

Postby saturnine » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:31 am

Olathejoe wrote:

+1
"Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling."
~James E. Starrs

Return to “The Road to Hell is Paved...”