New Crankset for Jamis Supernova

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
kcks

New Crankset for Jamis Supernova

Postby kcks » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:28 pm

I picked up a Jamis Supernova and I would like to replace the FSA Gossamer crankset. I would like to make it more geared for the road. What should I be looking for in a replacement? Any recommendations?

breed007

Re: New Crankset for Jamis Supernova

Postby breed007 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:21 pm

I have a Shimano Tiagra compact crankset I'll sell you for cheap. Barely used. 50x34.

kcks

Postby kcks » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:36 pm

Thanks for the offer. I was thinking along the lines of a SRAM Force or Red. Is the Red worth the money over the Force?

Toxis

Postby Toxis » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:38 pm

Both of your links are identical.
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

kcks

Postby kcks » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:41 pm

I got rid of the links. Noticed they were out of stock.

breed007

Postby breed007 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:36 am

kcks wrote:Thanks for the offer. I was thinking along the lines of a SRAM Force or Red. Is the Red worth the money over the Force?

In my opinion, no. You are basically paying twice as much money to save a little bit of weight.

breed007

Postby breed007 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:05 am

kcks wrote:Thanks for the offer. I was thinking along the lines of a SRAM Force or Red. Is the Red worth the money over the Force?

If you're going with that level of component, I would recommend looking at an Ultegra crankset. You can typically get them cheaper than the Force. That's what I run and It's been a good crankset.

Flowrida
Location: Eastern Jackson County, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Postby Flowrida » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:41 pm

If you are just wanting a bigger gear for the road as opposed to a cx gearing why not just change the rings? There really is no point in getting a light, expensive crankset unless you plan on racing. Buy a set of 53/39 chainrings (prob 130 bcd, 5 bolt) for $40 and call it a day.
I like to complain and do nothing to make things better. Kurt Cobain

kcks

Postby kcks » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:43 pm

I've thought about that. The crank bolt is stripped and keeps coming loose since I cannot tighten it down. I have to stope every 10 miles or so to tighten it up. I ordered a new one to see if that will keep things together. Also, there is some creaking in the bottom bracket...which is probably due to the crank bolt not being tight.

Flowrida
Location: Eastern Jackson County, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Postby Flowrida » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:28 pm

If you take the bolt and nut part out most bike shops can match it up. I'd change out the rings and spend the money you saved on some low rolling resistance tires. Big gears, good tires, couple of water bottle cages and pump/patch kit are all you need for road riding. My bike creaks from the bb when I get out of the saddle. Kinda lets me know when I'm putting forth some effort. :D

kcks

Postby kcks » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:03 pm

Flowrida wrote:If you take the bolt and nut part out most bike shops can match it up. I'd change out the rings and spend the money you saved on some low rolling resistance tires. Big gears, good tires, couple of water bottle cages and pump/patch kit are all you need for road riding. My bike creaks from the bb when I get out of the saddle. Kinda lets me know when I'm putting forth some effort. :D

If the new bolt holds things together I'll definitely go the new ring route. Got the cages, water bottles, and patch kit. What tires do you run?

Flowrida

Postby Flowrida » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:24 pm

What tires don't I run! Currently I'm trying to milk all the use I can out of a set Specialized Tracers set up tubeless. Once those are done I'll mount up a pair of Schwalbe Marathons for the summer. I use more of a road tire as opposed to a gravel tire because there are less places to find water out on the gravel during the heat of the summer. Once fall arrives I'll be back to cx style tires. A lot of the skinny tire guys run Continentals and like them.

breed007

Postby breed007 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:42 pm

Clement strada LLG. Not the fastest but very durable.

kcks

Postby kcks » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:30 pm

The new bolt fixed the problem of the crankset coming loose. Still makes a little noise noise, but I can live with that.

Return to “The Road to Hell is Paved...”