Indian Creek Trail

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
TheHawk

Indian Creek Trail

Postby TheHawk » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:22 am

How long does it take for these trails to be fairly rideable after the flash floods we got yesterday. I assume the water is down now but mud everywhere?

Thanks

Toxis

Re: Indian Creek Trail

Postby Toxis » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:02 am

You know it's been a rough season when you can't even ride paved trails due to weather.
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:42 am

I've ridden them within 12 hours of torential rains, but expect to get wet and muddy. My derailure and shifter hated me afterwards. There will be a lot of mud runoff on the trail, and any of those "low point, do not cross when high water" bridges will get your feet wet. If you're looking at a clean ride without getting a mud trail up your back, you've got a couple days at least. I'd just grab some fenders and get some chain lube.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:54 am

Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

sunnyhello
ER Officer

Postby sunnyhello » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:22 am

Anyone know whether the Mill Creek trails are similarly full of mud?

Sasquatch1413

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:34 am

Mill Creek next to Jaspers Restaurant was flowing like mad yesterday. Was up over the trail where it goes under 103rd.
My what big wheels you have.

pitbull

Postby pitbull » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:38 am

Sasquatch1413 wrote:Mill Creek next to Jaspers Restaurant was flowing like mad yesterday. Was up over the trail where it goes under 103rd.

That's Indian Creek. Mill Creek runs North from Olathe to the Kansas River just West of I-435.
The essence of mountain biking is, and always has been, about riding your bike off road. Lycra/baggy, up/down, fast/slow - whatever. Just ride your bike. ~ Keith Bontrager

Dave Smith

Postby Dave Smith » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:46 am

The Indian Creek trail under Holmes floods a lot, and they still hadn't cleaned up from the last time. The KS side seems to be faster at cleaning up.

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:43 pm

i have noticed they did some digging out to help drainage adjacent to the trail between Leawood aqua park and St Line, it seems to have helped as I hit it just on Sunday, not since the big rain yesterday though...

TheHawk

Postby TheHawk » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:27 pm

Saw a tweet that said they were hoping to have it cleaned up by tomorrow night, And it looks a a segment by 119th and QUiviria got completely weashed away.

What %##$% weather.

https://twitter.com/opcares

SingleSpeedSteve

Postby SingleSpeedSteve » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:54 am

I ride Indian Creek to work most days. It was a muddy mess yesterday, took me twice as long to get to work. Ive never seen it that bad, I was just anticipating having to ride through ankle deep water under Mission Rd again.

TheHawk

Postby TheHawk » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:36 am

SingleSpeedSteve wrote:I ride Indian Creek to work most days. It was a muddy mess yesterday, took me twice as long to get to work. Ive never seen it that bad, I was just anticipating having to ride through ankle deep water under Mission Rd again.

Let us know how it looks tomorrow. I am conceding that I won't be able to ride tonight but I'd like to be able to tomorrow at least...........

watts888

Postby watts888 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:16 am

TheHawk wrote:Saw a tweet that said they were hoping to have it cleaned up by tomorrow night, And it looks a a segment by 119th and QUiviria got completely weashed away.

What %##$% weather.

https://twitter.com/opcares

I'm surprised it got washed out there. Last time I was on Tomahawk Creek/Indian Creek, I know there was a washout near 137th & Switzer/Antioch area. The weather this year is really messing us up though. Definately some of the worst errosion I've seen in a long time.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mclovin2

Postby mclovin2 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:34 am

Mill Creek from Nelson Island south to Shawnee Mission Park was cleaned up. It looked like a section got washed away near the ball fields south of Johnson Drive- couldn't tell if a tree fell and took the hillside with it - but there was a short detour because the trail was just GONE.

Return to “The Road to Hell is Paved...”