KC Corporate Challenge 2016

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
muxon

KC Corporate Challenge 2016

Postby muxon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:37 pm

This was my 4th time riding in the time trial, and probably the best one by a smidge. Certainly the best conditions out there that I've had.

My big change this year was the new CAAD10 and some deepish aero rims. I was excited when I was hitting 28mph under what felt like medium effort during a warmup run, but that turned out to be unrealistic on the actual track. I was hitting between 21 and 25 the whole way around though, so it was a bit more consistent than the last few windy years (I seem to remember always dipping down to 19 on the front straight and then zipping up to 27 on the back, but only averaging 22 overall).

I think my unofficial time was 7:40 which is just a few seconds faster than last year. I'm not in nearly as good of shape as I was last year, and probably weigh ten pounds more, but the new stiffer lighter bike picked me up.

I still feel like I could push more with my legs, but my lungs cannot keep up. I didn't end up with as bad of a cough after this one, but my mouth and throat and lungs felt extremely dry during my second lap. I do get some pretty deep anaerobic climbs and sprints on my normal road rides, but nothing that is sustained for 7+ minutes. I suppose I'd have to specifically train for that scenario if I want to continue improving my times for this event.

I'd be happy enough with any sub-8 time, but the last three attempts have all been right around the same time.
Scott Smith
Redline Monocog 29er | Cannondale CAAD10 | Diamondback CCX | Jamis Aurora
Ride Logs: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014

muxon

Re: KC Corporate Challenge 2016

Postby muxon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:28 pm

Oh, and I managed to get the timing just about right on the warmup. I saw some people in my bib number range congregating by the yelling lady, so I went and started doing some higher effort runs to get my heart rate up. Then swung by the bathroom one last time and made my way to the entrance. Yelling lady saw my number and said they were already out on the track, so I got to go right to the middle of the line and get in my place. I still wasn't at full operating bpm, but it was a lot better than standing in the group and then standing in the full line.

There was a fast guy on his second lap coming around just as I cleared the cones on my first lap, and I was so tempted to draft him. He would have given me an extra 1-2mph without much additional effort on my part. Didn't want to risk disqualification though. I ended up using him to chase, and I think I got a little ahead of myself on the first lap. I wanna say I was just a few seconds over 3 minutes when I crossed the checkered line on the track. I had to climb up out of the drops on the back stretch of the second lap and let the burning in my chest subside a bit before tucking back in for the final push.

It's too bad they don't offer different race lengths. I think I'd definitely be more competitive at a 10 or 20 mile time trial. Although what would probably happen is only the elite guys would sign up for it, and I'd be the only one who couldn't maintain the same 23+mph pace for the longer distance.
Scott Smith
Redline Monocog 29er | Cannondale CAAD10 | Diamondback CCX | Jamis Aurora
Ride Logs: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014

ScottL
ER Officer

Re: KC Corporate Challenge 2016

Postby ScottL » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:50 pm

Nice, we were out of the KCCC last year, so it had been 2 years. I didn't train as hard for this event this year since I had a great race last time and got 0 points in Div A. I also ended up chatting and stuff waiting and the start time crept up on me and I didn't warm-up first. So I was totally the opposite, my lungs and HR were fine but my quads were on fire, definitely the limiting factor for me. I was 20 seconds off my time 2 years ago, but not unhappy considering. Funny enough I got 5 points this time, and repeating my PR would have only been 1 better. So I'm not too disappointed. I see this as a fun chance to do some laps on the speedway.

Nice seeing several MTB folks out there though.

Return to “The Road to Hell is Paved...”