Toe/foot pain on longer rides

...with good intentions. Discuss road riding, commuting, routes, etc.
muxon

Toe/foot pain on longer rides

Postby muxon » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:36 am

I've been wearing the same Shimano shoes with SPD-SL cleats for five years or so now, and recently I've been having a strange pain on my right foot. It happens after about two hours in the saddle and persists until the end of the ride, although never to the point where I have to stop pedaling. It's definitely annoying though and has not happened in previous years.

It's hard to describe, but it's kind of a burning/aching sensation just on the two smallest toes and knuckles of my right foot. It goes away quickly after the ride and doesn't seem to bother me while I'm not riding. There are no visible marks or tenderness in the affected area. Nothing inside my shoe seems to be out of place, and I've tried adjusting the velcro straps to be looser but it did not seem to help. I've also adjusted my cleat angle a bit, but with no change.

Anyone had something like this before on one foot? Time for new inserts or new shoes entirely? Possibly nerve pain? It kind of coincides with a new road saddle, but I have ridden regularly on five or six entirely different saddles during the last five years and have not had issues (at least in my feet). I've also gone through a few sets of cleats and pedals during this time, so I'm not really suspecting those. I'm just hesitant to buy new shoes because these don't really seem worn out. They're rigid on the bottom, so there doesn't even really seem to be a place where they could wear out, aside from the sole insert on the bottom.

Advice appreciated!
Scott Smith
Redline Monocog 29er | Cannondale CAAD10 | Diamondback CCX | Jamis Aurora
Ride Logs: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014

Neale

Re: Toe/foot pain on longer rides

Postby Neale » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:02 pm

Did you check the cleat position fore/aft compared to the other shoe? Also, google "performis syndrome" and try some of the stretches before your next ride. Foam roller your ass cheek on that side regularly. Sometimes its just an issue of collective wear and tear on the (human) equipment. But the symptoms you describe sound suspiciously like performis/sciatic nerve entrapment. Or....could be your socks are getting bunched. :wink:
Self-deception isn't the worst thing we do, but it makes it possible for us to do the worst things. -Timothy Keller

Muther

Postby Muther » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:01 am

I don't know what you are experiencing, but if it it sciatic nerve related, then body position on the bike as you ride should help.

For me, and I have had sciatic pain before, I was rotating my hips forward to much, and not flexing my abs enough to support my spine from the front. Repositioning with less forward hip rotation and concentrating on keeping my abs flexed to support my spine worked wonders.

A good, experienced chiro or sports doc specializing in spine should be able to help.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

muxon

Postby muxon » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:21 pm

I haven't had any other issues that I might attribute to a sciatic nerve problem though. No pain or numbness anywhere other than the last two digits of my right foot. It did occur to me that it might be something nerve related since it doesn't seem to persist after the ride.
Scott Smith

Muther

Postby Muther » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:09 pm

muxon wrote:I haven't had any other issues that I might attribute to a sciatic nerve problem though. No pain or numbness anywhere other than the last two digits of my right foot. It did occur to me that it might be something nerve related since it doesn't seem to persist after the ride.

I am no expert, but it sure sounds like some sort of nerve pressure. It sounds like what used to happen to my hands (before my carbon 20 degree bar, and Ergonomic grips), is happening to your foot. Those bars, the grips, repositioning controls, so I reposition my body fixed all that.

I'd guess it is a nerve somewhere Seeing some pressure. Me be try one of those pro-fit sessions at Bike source or something.

Good luck.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Jones
ER Officer

Postby Jones » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:35 am

how old are your shoes? same pair for 5 years or same style? i found after about 2 years on a pair that they started doing the same thing but on my 3 outside toes. replaced the shoes problem gone. I think over the years the foot bed had simply failed and i was not getting proper even support. Also i have a pair of MTB shoes that kinda look like hiking shoes they are flexible for walking but still have ok cycling support they are fine for 2 hours on the mtb but if i ride over an hour on the gravel bike with them half my foot is killing me so i make sure to use my racer boy shoes only when doing gravel.
No Guts No Glory, No Brains Same Story

Tim Greene

Postby Tim Greene » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:21 pm

My shoes did same. Went with a good set of Sidi road shoes and pain went away. You can't beat Sidi's for comfort and performance. Look for them on Steep and Cheap as they have killer deals on them from time to time. If you don't know your size go to Leawood Cycles, they sell the Sidi's there and you can see what fits right.
--------- __o
------- _`\<,_
------ (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

muxon

Postby muxon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Jones wrote:how old are your shoes? same pair for 5 years or same style?

Five years on the same pair.

Tim Greene wrote:My shoes did same. Went with a good set of Sidi road shoes and pain went away.

Good to know. Looks like I'll be shoe shopping! Thanks for the info guys.
Scott Smith

tomy

Postby tomy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Tim Greene wrote: go to Leawood Cycles,.

Didn't they close up shop?

Jones
ER Officer

Postby Jones » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:15 am

Yes Areal retired and closed shop.
No Guts No Glory, No Brains Same Story

Tim Greene

Postby Tim Greene » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Probably for same reason The Wheel closed since he was a Giant dealer. Giant is really shafting the local shops.
--------- __o

------- _`\<,_

------ (*)/ (*)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Geezer

Postby Geezer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:34 pm

Tim Greene wrote:Probably for same reason The Wheel closed since he was a Giant dealer. Giant is really shafting the local shops.

Tim - shafting - in what way? Is Giant experimenting with on line sales?

Terry
Terry - save the trails

Tim Greene

Postby Tim Greene » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:45 pm

From what I heard, you order online and it is shipped to local bike store where they on their dime unbox and build for you. If the customer doesn't like the bike store has to take it in inventory. I am sure there is more to it, but it made it unprofitable to be a Giant bike shop.
--------- __o

------- _`\<,_

------ (*)/ (*)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Geezer

Postby Geezer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:30 pm

Tim - not to hijack, but - I think Trek has a similar program in place. It is new, only a few months old.

Thanks for info,
TR
Terry - save the trails

Return to “The Road to Hell is Paved...”