St. George, Utah / Grand Canyon, Airzona Trip 2017

Ride reports from across the country.
Lawson_Raider

St. George, Utah / Grand Canyon, Airzona Trip 2017

Postby Lawson_Raider » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:19 am

This is a cross post from my trip announcement in the Mountain Biking thread but though this would be a more suitable place to post this.

Trip Dates: 9 Sept - 19 September, 2017.

Depart Kansas City around 4:00pm EST on Sept 9, 2017 - after I get off work.

Date Dep Time Arr Time Itinerary
9-Sep 4:00 10:30p KC - Close to Denver
10-Sep 4:00a 11:00a Denver - Fruita
11-Sep 6:00a 12:00p Fruita - St. George
12-Sep All Day St. George Trails
13-Sep All Day North Rim Grand Canyon
14-Sep All Day St. George
15-Sep All Day Bryce Canyon
16-Sep All Day St. George
17-Sep 5:00a 3:00p St. George - Denver
18-Sep All Day Ride Buffalo Creek in Front Range
19-Sep 5:00a 4:00p Denver - KC

Will get some Fruita action on the way - It would be a crime not to get some Fruita love if we are going to be right by there and also gotta hit up Camilla's Cafe for breakfast .

There are 2 parties going from Kansas City:

Party 1: My brother, cousin, and my brother's friend (They are doing some hiking and will ride with us some of the days)
Party 2: Myself.

There are 1 - 2 parties coming down from the Salt Lake CIty, Utah area.
My Pastor friend from Ogden, Utah is coming down for 3 days. Two buddies from the Salt Lake area may be coming down for an unspecified amount of time.

My truck can hold up to 5 people so I have room for up to 4 more mountain bikers to come along. I will cover the fuel and campsite costs - the only thing I ask from each person who wants to go is to cover their own food costs and share in the motel costs if any are incurred on the trip (The Fruita and Denver stop most likely will be a hotel (I get government rates so the costs split will be very cheap).

I cannot make campsite reservations in St. George until May 11th at the earliest so I am hoping to get some commitments by then so I know how many sites we will need. My brother's party is reserving their own site. RIght now I have one site I am looking at.

Come join me on what I know is going to be an epic trip - it is an epic trip at very inexpensive costs and if you have the time and want to enjoy good company, great social time, and great riding, let me know.
Last edited by Lawson_Raider on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
This thread likely ends here.

Lawson_Raider

Re: St. George, Utah / Grand Canyon, Airzona Trip 2017

Postby Lawson_Raider » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 am

Last edited by Lawson_Raider on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawson_Raider

Postby Lawson_Raider » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 am

Bump

Lawson_Raider

Postby Lawson_Raider » Sun May 07, 2017 5:50 am

Making reservations Thursday. The sites are small. Enough for a 12x12 tent. If have more than 2 going May require 2 sites. My tent holds 2 comfortably as i,use a cot and such.

Join in and come along for an awesome adventure

Lawson_Raider

Postby Lawson_Raider » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:54 am

Update:

3 parties heading west from Kansas City:

Party 1:
Brother
Cousin
Brother's friend

Party 2:
James

Party 3:
Greg
Jim
Tom

Persons coming from SLC / Ogden area:
Pastor Jeremiah (3 days)
Joe
Ryan

We have 2 sites reserved next to each other and should fit 4 10x10 tents on both and may have room for one or two pup tents. Each site has electric and water hookup. Party 1 is only staying Sun to Weds and leaving on a side hiking trip so will have a few nights where someone can use the site if space is an issue. Party 2 is leaving a day or so early to do some other things.

I believe this is going to be a very epic trip - maybe even surpassing the Fruita trips I have taken the past several years... Side trips to Bryce Canyon in Utah (riding the Thunder Mountain trail) and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (a 20 mile trail traversing the North Rim - only place in Grand Canyon National Park you can ride mountain bikes)...possible trip to Las Vegas if time and group interest permits. There are plenty of trails in the St. George / Hurricane area to keep us stoked even without the side trips.

I have room for 1 - 2 more folks.. anyone interested give me a holler - 3 more months until the trip and I hope to put together a nice group to enjoy this awesome adventure out west.

Thanks!
Greg

pitdaddy

Postby pitdaddy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:28 am

I would love to do something like this but not so sure I've got the stamina. North Rim trail of Grand Canyon is on my bucket list along with the Hurricane & Virgin Utah area.

Lawson_Raider

Postby Lawson_Raider » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:09 am

Trust me, I am no Strava King myself - most of the guys going will smoke me like a salmon after the first 1/2 mile :D

Itsjfm

Postby Itsjfm » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:51 am

pitdaddy wrote:I would love to do something like this but not so sure I've got the stamina. North Rim trail of Grand Canyon is on my bucket list along with the Hurricane & Virgin Utah area.

Hey pittdaddy,

Why not do a pre-trip ride with some of those planning to go so you can get a better idea of the types of riders you would be riding with?
Jim

Lawson_Raider

Postby Lawson_Raider » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:01 am

This trip is all about having a good time and enjoying ourselves. Doesn't matter if you are fast and superman or slow and pokey (like myself), as long as you enjoy yourself and have a good time - that is all that matters. I am willing to do a pre-ride with you if you are concerned, I can assure you everyone going on this trip are awesome people - I rode with itsjfm in 2015 to Fruita and had an amazing time. You are more than welcome to join along if you so choose.

This trip is going to be epic - if this stuff is on your bucket list - take the plunge and check it off. :D

pitdaddy

Postby pitdaddy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 am

Pre-ride? That's a great idea! If I was a single guy I would have signed up months ago. Truth is, I'm happily married & the wife & I pretty much stick together. If her schedule allowed she would hang out at Zion National Park. Thanks again for the offer.

Lawson_Raider

Postby Lawson_Raider » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:57 pm

pitdaddy wrote:Pre-ride? That's a great idea! If I was a single guy I would have signed up months ago. Truth is, I'm happily married & the wife & I pretty much stick together. If her schedule allowed she would hang out at Zion National Park. Thanks again for the offer.

No worries. Just wanted to make you welcome.

Lawson_Raider

Postby Lawson_Raider » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:34 pm

July 30 Update:

Pastor Jeremiah is out for the trip.

I have 2 people riding in my vehicle, myself included. Looking for 1 or 2 more to ride along. 5 1/2 weeks to go, plenty of time to jump in if you want to join me on an epic trip. Just pay for your food. Campsite is already paid for. Gas I can take care of.

Thanks!

Lawson_Raider

Postby Lawson_Raider » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:09 pm

3 1/2 weeks to go...surely there is someone interested. It is going to be an epic trip. Lots of trails and sweet western fun.

Return to “Cheatin' on KC”