Westcliffe CO

Ride reports from across the country.
Opie

Westcliffe CO

Postby Opie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:53 am

Taking the family out to a cabin in the Wet Mountain Valley early August. Hopefully the smoke from the (current) upwind fires (< go to CO and select active fire map) will be gone so it won't choke us out too bad.

Anyone been to this area? I've hit Monarch (hour to the NW) before so I have no time or desire to spend a day away from the family to drive up there again, But if there's anything in the Sangre de Cristo (east facing) or Wet Mountains that will tempt me to throw my mountain bike on the car, then please do tell... If not, I will certainly be contented exploring all the old gravel mining/logging/fire roads on and around Greenhorn Mountain on the Cross Check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIHaPpKub4I

Cheers
“There is no such joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto.” ― Cormac McCarthy

Opie

Re: Westcliffe CO

Postby Opie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:26 pm

Some pics from my first ride out there. More to come... Don't feel like resizing so drag up to browser window to make large.

Waking up to this

working way down into the valley

Beautifully washboarded road pre-softened my ass:

Pano of the Sangre de Cristo range

Climbed up this long grind to the So Colony Lakes 2wd trailhead

Google told me there was a road here. Rode it for a bit and would have continued if I had the Rock N Road tires on, but didn't want to be stranded 20mi from the cabin w/sketchy cell connection.

Climbing back home to the cabin, feeling the altitude effects...

Home sweet temporary home (cabin on left)
“There is no such joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto.” ― Cormac McCarthy

mtwmbw

Postby mtwmbw » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks for sharing. Love the photos. Ready to go back again, July seems like an it was years ago.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Ride #2

waking up to this

***then I rode back to the cabin (not motivated to ride when cold, yet), made coffee, did some yoga on the patio, made breakfast for the family once they got up...

then went back out to the south toward Greenhorn Mountain

Resident Gardner Rd AmbASSador (Spanish Peaks - two distant mtns on the left)

This road had a handmade sign on the fence at the bottom "BIG BAD HILL". Admittedly, I walked some (couldn't maintain traction in the gravel)

Late (re)start had me scrambling home to avoid the requisite summer shower

Watching one form from 10+mi away

Doug Long

Postby Doug Long » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Those pics are absolutely stunning. I was wanting to jump on the gravel bike just surfing through those pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks Doug! Yeah, it was pretty much the area I dreamt of when I was planning the trip. I've stayed in Breck, Vail, Leadville/Buena Vista & Salida in the past, but was looking for something more remote (and less expensive). It was a nice blend of Flint Hills nothingness and alpine ruggedness. Buying a parcel of land here is now in our 10yr plan.

#Third & final ride: (apologies for the cropping 1000px width - you may go here to view them full in slideshow

Out the door (45°F on 8/9 - Sangres got a little snow overnight)

Up the road (Broken Hand peak dead center, Crestone Needle to the right then Humboldt (snowiest) to the right again)

Peppered beef ahead

Left my map on the kitchen counter and thought I was headed down a different road, but getting lost is often rewarding

Home on the range

where the cyclist and the antelope play

Custer County Rd #BFE pano (drag to browser window to enlarge)

Wet Mountain Valley selfies

The End

captainjack

Postby captainjack » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:00 am

great stuff dude. getting me excited for my co pilgrimage next month!

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:27 pm

***deleted by IMG gremlins
Last edited by Opie on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:33 pm

Not sure what's up with the IMG tags - it was just working...

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Went back out to the same cabin this summer. Rode some new roads. Please enjoy...

Doug Long

Postby Doug Long » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Very nice. Why is it I see pictures like this and I want to suddenly go jump on my bike. I have a friend that moved from there and he was quick to point out how cold the winters were in that region. They had horses and he had lots of good stories. They moved to Chillicothe from Colorado and when I see pictures like that, I don't get it. He was retired and a MTBr. Must have made some nice money on their Colorado property and then moved to "Missery" and bought a nice place and put some money in the bank too boot.

ptooi
Site Admin

Postby ptooi » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Kevin, I've checked everywhere including my spam filter but can't seem to locate your invitation to join you. We'll need to communicate via more reliable means next time.

mtwmbw

Postby mtwmbw » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks for sharing, again. I should post up my photos of my recent Colorado trip. Explored some new riding areas.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:37 pm

I could never share these photos with you if I lived out there due to no internet at the cabin and something like 0.5MBS service in town.

Single track is WAY better here, full stop. Not sure I could give that up.

tomy

Postby tomy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:44 pm

awesome. nice pic of an antelope.

Return to “Cheatin' on KC”