Glimpse of Sedona

Ride reports from across the country.
Dr.Dover

Glimpse of Sedona

Postby Dr.Dover » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:07 pm

Myself and a few buddies just got back from Sedona and Mesa Arizona. 72F all week. I could really get used to Sedona.
We shot a few clips of video. It never shows how good it really is. We did do some drone shots while riding but my buddy has not finished processing the video yet.

http://youtu.be/Fv9cadYqALM

http://youtu.be/sCK_CSe7S0E

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. - Mahatma Gandhi

breed007

Re: Glimpse of Sedona

Postby breed007 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:28 pm

It's 15 degrees out. I hate this post. Mods, delete it.

ptooi
Site Admin

Postby ptooi » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:04 pm

Ben, I'm envious. Some day, some how, I'll ride in Sedona.

Do you drive out or fly? Haul bikes or rent?

Possum

Postby Possum » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:34 pm

May you find goat-head thorns in your tires on the first warm, dry trail ride you do this year.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:38 am

This looks nicer than all the facebook pics I saw of guys riding mtbs through paved SW burbs. :wink:
“There is no such joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto.” ― Cormac McCarthy

Dr.Dover

Postby Dr.Dover » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:43 am

One more longer video. One of the local guys from Bike & Bean wanted to come out and ride with us. He had just finished 24 hours of Old Pueblo the weekend before and finished 9th. Good thing he was in recovery mode. Super nice guy.

Still waiting for some better stuff that one of our other guys shot with his GoPro and drone.
http://youtu.be/iRZ1xRFbfC0

I've been going out there in the winter for about 6 years now. We have always shipped our bikes. One of our guys rents. Flying Southwest it costs $75 each way to ship a bike. Good rentals cost about $70-$80 per day. We did score a deal this year for one bike @ $100 for 5 days. By the fifth day of hard riding it was giving it all up. Tires were wore out, air can unscrewed and lost air, front deraileur broke and it was heavy. Since we are riding for five days straight I prefer to be on my own bike.

We fly into Phoenix where I pick up a van that our company keeps at the airport then head to Mesa where my friend's parents have a house. Assemble bikes and ride from their house for a few hours then head up to Sedona. This year we rode for three full days in Sedona. Sometimes we only do two days. One of the guys parents had a time share they weren't going to use so we stayed in West Sedona this year. Usually we stay at the Red Agave which is owned by the owner of Bike & Bean bike shop. You can ride from Red Agave which makes it nice.

Bike & Bean has some pretty good all mountain rentals. Santa Cruz and Giant. Across the street from them is another bike shop that has Special rentals and then there is Over The Edge in West Sedona who has BMC and Cannondale.

We prefer Bike & Bean. They just have a cool vibe about them and are super helpful to get you on the trails. We were talking to the owner and amazed at how excited he was everyday. He said, "In order for me to live in Sedona we have to provide a service that people want to come back to again and again." They have saved our rides several times over the years when we broke stuff. This year one of our guys broke a front brake lever. They rummaged through the spare parts box and sold us a barely used lever for $5. They could have taken advantage of the situation but they didn't. Just great people!
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. - Mahatma Gandhi

Dr.Dover

Postby Dr.Dover » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:44 am

Opie wrote:This looks nicer than all the facebook pics I saw of guys riding mtbs through paved SW burbs. :wink:

Pavement was the only time I was able to ride and snap photos. The rest of the time my tongue was hanging out trying to stay with the group.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Dr.Dover wrote: We did score a deal this year for one bike @ $100 for 5 days. By the fifth day of hard riding it was giving it all up. Tires were wore out, air can unscrewed and lost air, front deraileur broke and it was heavy.

Have to ask, what was the bike if it's getting beat up this bad in 5 days use.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

tomy

Postby tomy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:46 pm

watts888 wrote:
Dr.Dover wrote: We did score a deal this year for one bike @ $100 for 5 days. By the fifth day of hard riding it was giving it all up. Tires were wore out, air can unscrewed and lost air, front deraileur broke and it was heavy.

better yet, who was the rider :shock:

Dr.Dover

Postby Dr.Dover » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:27 pm

tomy wrote:
watts888 wrote:

better yet, who was the rider :shock:

The rider is a very good rider. Way more skills and speed than I have. It was a Giant Trance X. Pretty sure it had been around the trails a few times already. Probably why it was $100 for 5 days. Still got the job done we just had to work on it a few times.

Lawson_Raider

Postby Lawson_Raider » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Dr.Dover wrote:
Opie wrote:This looks nicer than all the facebook pics I saw of guys riding mtbs through paved SW burbs. :wink:

Pavement was the only time I was able to ride and snap photos. The rest of the time my tongue was hanging out trying to stay with the group.

Crap - I would have not been good on that ride - if you were struggling to hang..I would be way back waiting for Search and Rescue.
This thread likely ends here.

pitdaddy

Postby pitdaddy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:30 am

Thanks for the videos! Someday I'd like to live in the Prescott area.

How did you get the telemetry info on the video?

Dr.Dover

Postby Dr.Dover » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:22 am

I borrowed a friends Garmin Virb. It integrates GPS data into the video capture. You can also feed data into the video post ride with a Garmin 510 or above unit. You can also sync up to five Virb units to capture at the same time apparently. Not as good of quality as a GoPro but it does have some cool features.

Dr.Dover

Postby Dr.Dover » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:15 pm

The video that my buddy took with a GoPro and some drone shots.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/238 ... Export.mp4

ptooi
Site Admin

Postby ptooi » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Very cool Ben!

Return to “Cheatin' on KC”