Hobbs State Park - Hidden Diversity Trail

Ride reports from across the country.
Sasquatch1413

Hobbs State Park - Hidden Diversity Trail

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:49 am

Headed down to Arkansas this weekend. Definitely riding Leatherwood and Slaughter Penn. I've heard varying opinions of Hobbs. Is it worth hitting? Is there any tech or long DH sections? Are they comparable to Slaughter Penn or Leatherwood?

Which sections are the best?
Little Clifty Creek Loop - 9 miles
War Eagle Loop - 5 miles
Bashore Ridge Loop - 3 miles
Dutton Hollow Loop - 3 miles
My what big wheels you have.

JamesM

Re: Hobbs State Park - Hidden Diversity Trail

Postby JamesM » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:21 pm

A couple of us rode it last year. We had done some research and were advised on order and direction; we rode Bashore loop clockwise, Dutton Hollow counter clockwise, and then the full Little Clifty clockwise and included War Eagle on the East side until in connection back to Little Clifty (I think we ended at about 19miles total with War Eagle in the mix). We had done similar to your plan and rode Leatherwood the day before, then Hobbs, then Slaughter and Blowing Springs.

Here is the PDF link for Hobbs.
http://friendsofhobbs.busterneece.com/s ... 2010_1.pdf

It is fairly fast and flowing but some loose large gravel can keep the speed down at times (especially on the Bashore and Dutton). There are some very long down hills but with it comes the long uphills. Bashore and Dutton are basically long rides to the bottom (halfway) and then you climb back out; again, very limited technical aside from some periodic sharp corners. I thought Clifty to War Eagle was the more enjoyable ride with what I felt was more pure single track like at Leatherwood; but still not much technical. If you do the whole thing, you need to be in shape; honestly, I would not make it the whole way around if I rode it this weekend...not in good enough shape. Overall, it is fun if you just want a good long ride. Scenery is good but for some reason nothing really jumped out like at Leatherwood and Blowing Springs.
James (Niner Junkee)

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:52 am

Sasquatch1413 wrote:Headed down to Arkansas this weekend. Definitely riding Leatherwood and Slaughter Penn. I've heard varying opinions of Hobbs. Is it worth hitting? Is there any tech or long DH sections? Are they comparable to Slaughter Penn or Leatherwood?

Which sections are the best?
Little Clifty Creek Loop - 9 miles
War Eagle Loop - 5 miles
Bashore Ridge Loop - 3 miles
Dutton Hollow Loop - 3 miles

Lake Atalanta and Kessler Mountain are soooooo much better than Hobbs. Zero tech and not that great of downhills.
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi
Powered by Volker Bicycles

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:58 am

I agree with shoff. It's been a while since I've been to Hobbs, but I remember lots and lots of gravel and the loops were all very similar to each other. Nothing to write home about anyway. Kessler on the other hand was a blast, I'll go back there if I have a chance.
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

Dr.Dover

Postby Dr.Dover » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:24 am

In my opinion Hobbs is not worth the time. The same thing over and over again. Not technical. Climb descend repeat.

I would rather ride Leatherwood a couple of times over than make the trip to Hobbs. If you are already at Eureka Springs go check out the short piece of Black Bass Lake. It's not very long , couple of miles, but it's pretty cool. When driving into Eureka you will see a small sign on the right for Black Bass lake. They are planning on piecing it in with the "city trails". They aren't quite there yet, but they are working on it.

Definite yes on:
Mt. Kessler - very Swope like.
Lincoln Lake is west of there. 7.5 miles of trails. I have not been there but it sounds like good terrain.
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. - Mahatma Gandhi

No_Kickstand

Postby No_Kickstand » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:49 am

Hobbs is a lot of gravel, good trail for a beginner, rode it once with the wife. I ride Lake Lincoln every year the first week of April on a trip I take to Arkansas, it is a good trail system with a great view from the damn and several other stops along the way. There are some good technical sections and a nice water crossing. If you are a climber there is also a climbing area that is pretty good that has many lines for all levels. Hit the little burger stand in Lincoln as well for some post ride replenishment.

I plan on hitting Mt Kessler this year as well as the Upper Buffalo Trail system, looking forward to all three.

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:59 am

No_Kickstand wrote:Hobbs is a lot of gravel, good trail for a beginner, rode it once with the wife. I ride Lake Lincoln every year the first week of April on a trip I take to Arkansas, it is a good trail system with a great view from the damn and several other stops along the way. There are some good technical sections and a nice water crossing. If you are a climber there is also a climbing area that is pretty good that has many lines for all levels. Hit the little burger stand in Lincoln as well for some post ride replenishment.

I plan on hitting Mt Kessler this year as well as the Upper Buffalo Trail system, looking forward to all three.

Kessler and Upper Buffalo ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi