Hurricane, UT and surrounding area

Ride reports from across the country.
ptooi
Site Admin

Hurricane, UT and surrounding area

Postby ptooi » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:58 pm

On fairly short notice I decided to cheat on KC in Hurricane, UT. A little research revealed that there is a lot of great stuff in the area, and I had never been there, so I boxed up the bike and took off. Flew to Las Vegas, rented a car, drove to Hurricane.

Here's a map of the locations I rode. The pins contain links to details about each.

There are links to more pictures from each trail if you're interested. You'll have to excuse the numerous selfies and bike poses. My dearest mother wanted to see pictures of me so I had to oblige.

Day 1 - Gooseberry Mesa - more pics

Day 2 - JEM Trails - more pics

Day 3 - Little Creek Mesa - more pics

Several people told me not to attempt this trail without a guide and that was good advice. It's not like Gooseberry where there are white dots on the slickrock to guide you. Here there is only an occasional rock cairn and they can be hard to see. Plus, there isn't a definite "trail" for most of it. It's more a matter of choosing which rock formations you want to play on between the cairns. So anyway, I took the advice and joined the Over the Edge shop ride on Saturday. These dudes were dropping off stuff that I wouldn't touch, but I did get outside my comfort zone a little and learned a few things.

The locals are pretty protective of this area. It's a sensitive ecosystem, plus there are Anasazi Petroglyphs all over it.

Day 4 - Thunder Mountain - more pics

Day 5 - Rainbow Rim - more pics

tomy

Re: Hurricane, UT and surrounding area

Postby tomy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:14 am

Nice. You did all that solo? Even better 8)

PatrickMcQ

Postby PatrickMcQ » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:08 am

Very cool! That area has been on my list of places to ride for a while. How far of a drive is it from Vegas?
"Nothing like a cold Orgina after escaping death with Digger" - Wade Simmons

Ogar

Postby Ogar » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:39 am

PatrickMcQ wrote:Very cool! That area has been on my list of places to ride for a while. How far of a drive is it from Vegas?

This. On my list as well.
Also, is it a big pain in the ass to get a beer in small town Utah? Oh wait.....never mind. Teetotaling mountain bikers -- there oughta be a law.... :roll:
Last edited by Ogar on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nice pour shitballs! -- Scott Cotter, 2013 Bikes -n- Brew

ptooi
Site Admin

Postby ptooi » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:43 am

Yep Tom, it was solo. A friend was lined up to go with me at one point but work interfered. I wasn't about to cancel. :)

Patrick, I think it was right about 2 hours drive from Vegas. You could fly directly to St. George and save some time except I wanted to fly Southwest because of the bike box. You would have loved Little Creek Mesa. I was a little over my head there but somebody with skills to do those drops and gaps would have a blast. The picture below is Quentin, the owner of the OTE bike shop in Hurricane. He's a super nice guy and they have a ton of nice rental bikes. I think next time I'll probably save myself the headache and rent one.

FlatLander

Postby FlatLander » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:08 pm

That looks like a terrible trip Damon. I am glad you did not invite me. Any idea what your average daily mileage was? Was there more to explore by the end off the week?
Micah Luffman

ptooi
Site Admin

Postby ptooi » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:09 pm

FlatLander wrote:That looks like a terrible trip Damon. I am glad you did not invite me. Any idea what your average daily mileage was? Was there more to explore by the end off the week?

Hey Micah, I thought of you actually. And I thought about how you just had a kid so I spared you the invite. :D

I averaged 22 miles per day. For the most part, a mile out there is going to feel farther than a mile in KC. And yes, there's plenty I didn't get to, so good reason for me to return and do it again.

FlatLander

Postby FlatLander » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:57 pm

It would have been a pro forma invite indeed. Looks like a great trip. I have heard nothing but praise for Gooseberry. Good to see there is more worth doing in the area.
Micah Luffman

PatrickMcQ

Postby PatrickMcQ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:15 am

ptooi wrote:Yep Tom, it was solo. A friend was lined up to go with me at one point but work interfered. I wasn't about to cancel. :)

Patrick, I think it was right about 2 hours drive from Vegas. You could fly directly to St. George and save some time except I wanted to fly Southwest because of the bike box. You would have loved Little Creek Mesa. I was a little over my head there but somebody with skills to do those drops and gaps would have a blast. The picture below is Quentin, the owner of the OTE bike shop in Hurricane. He's a super nice guy and they have a ton of nice rental bikes. I think next time I'll probably save myself the headache and rent one.

That looks fun. I was checking out all the trails there on MTB project, and Trail forks, def a ton of riding in the area. The scenery at Thunder Mtn. looks amazing, I'd have to do that ride for sure. You can fly to Vegas on Spirit Airlines for about a 100, but idk how they handle bike boxes.
"Nothing like a cold Orgina after escaping death with Digger" - Wade Simmons

pitdaddy

Postby pitdaddy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:05 am

I am so green with envy!!!!!! Thank you for sharing those pictures! Gooseberry Mesa is on my bucket list. After looking at your pictures I'd like to try some of the other trails too. How much time did it take to drive to the Rainbow Rim trail? I've been thru Kanab and it's a nice little town. The drive going east out of Zion National Park is beautiful. Hope you were able to take that route and see some of the park.

ptooi
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: Hurricane, UT and surrounding area

Postby ptooi » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:18 am

pitdaddy wrote:I am so green with envy!!!!!! Thank you for sharing those pictures! Gooseberry Mesa is on my bucket list. After looking at your pictures I'd like to try some of the other trails too. How much time did it take to drive to the Rainbow Rim trail? I've been thru Kanab and it's a nice little town. The drive going east out of Zion National Park is beautiful. Hope you were able to take that route and see some of the park.

I think it was about 1.5 hrs from Hurricane to Panguitch, so probably 1:45 or so. However on the return trip I took the back way past Brian Head. That wasn't open yet but would be a great bonus for this trip. Thunder Mountain didn't have as much distance as I would have liked but I just did 2 laps. It was definitely worth the drive.

Yep, went through Zion and that was absolutely incredible. I pretty much drove around in awe everywhere I went.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Great pics & rides!
“There is no such joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto.” ― Cormac McCarthy

Michael Gier

Postby Michael Gier » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:36 pm

Gorgeous pics, looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing!
Michael Gier
"If you don't like the system, all you have to do is change it. There's no magic key to the kingdom. Show up on a regular basis and get involved. You'll soon have more than you asked for."Todd Posson

Insomneous

Postby Insomneous » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:38 am

Mark this down as one more reason why I dislike you so intensely.

But we did ride last night in the 100 degree heat so we've got that going for us, which is nice.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:49 am

Stupid.

Return to “Cheatin' on KC”