Anything in IA within 20 miles of I 35?

Ride reports from across the country.
Cbo-pleasanthill

Anything in IA within 20 miles of I 35?

Postby Cbo-pleasanthill » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:29 pm

Going to north central Iowa July 3-5. Are there any mtn bike trails in Des Moines, Ames or any where else along or near I-35 worth riding?

Dr.Dover

Re: Anything in IA within 20 miles of I 35?

Postby Dr.Dover » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:11 am

http://alltrails.com/trail/us/iowa/denman-woods

http://centraliowatrails.com/blog/

Not sure if it is under water or not. Checking with one of the guys up there right now.
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. - Mahatma Gandhi

Dr.Dover

Postby Dr.Dover » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:01 am

Hillside and Roller Coaster at Center I believe and thats it. Seven Oaks is reported to be good, as is Whiterock Conservancy, both an hour from the City.
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. - Mahatma Gandhi

Cbo-pleasanthill

Postby Cbo-pleasanthill » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Thanks! I found something online about Center Trails in Des Moines but couldn't find a map. I think that is what you are calling hillside and roller coaster. Can't find any trail maps anywhere. Anyone know where I could find maps?

breed007

Postby breed007 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:25 pm

MTB Project

Jester

Postby Jester » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:15 am

Banner lakes is pretty cool. Unlike anything you've ridden before.
http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4416629

lewis17web

Postby lewis17web » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:25 pm

There isn't anything in central Iowa quite like the KC trails. Center trails and Banner Lakes are a lot of fun but have none of the challenges I associate with the rock in KC. Whiterock Conservancy is great new professional built trail northwest of DSM much like Wyco but without any rock. I live in the DSM metro and travel to KC routinely to ride because there isn't anything like the fun rock gardens at Shawnee, Swope, or Landahl. PM me if you're ever in DSM and we can ride what there is here. Actually a lot of cools riders in the DSM metro and we make do with what we have. Better than Omaha overall which is a much bigger town.

Nate King

Postby Nate King » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 pm

Trails at Peterson Pits/McFarland Park outside of Ames still there? Nothing close to KC quality (at least, not in the mid-90s when I was there), but I rode there a lot back in the day.

mculbertson

Postby mculbertson » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:21 pm

Nate King wrote:Trails at Peterson Pits/McFarland Park outside of Ames still there? Nothing close to KC quality (at least, not in the mid-90s when I was there), but I rode there a lot back in the day.

Yes, trails are still there. The Iowa Games has their mountain bike race there every summer.

Bucketthead

Postby Bucketthead » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:49 pm

Rode center trails last week. Fast, fun not technical at all. Mossquitoes nearly carried me away though.

Return to “Cheatin' on KC”