Breck

Ride reports from across the country.
JDubKC

Breck

Postby JDubKC » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:29 am

9 days left! So stoked. I have been there a hundred times but this will be the first with my 4 year old son. I am sure we will have plenty to do but if anyone has recommendations for the boy I would love to hear it.

watts888

Re: Breck

Postby watts888 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:00 am

ride a bike?
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

tomy

Postby tomy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:42 am

what is Breck?

JDubKC

Postby JDubKC » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:00 am

Sorry, i thought everyone knew what Breckenridge was. Breckenridge is a town in Colorado.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:52 am

Do some hikes after a couple days acclimation. Pack a picnic.

McCullough Gulch looks easily accessible, low mileage and not too steep. Kid can get distracted with waterfalls and flowers and stuff and not realize how bloody his feet are. Mountain antelope all over that area you can challenge to a duel.
“There is no such joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto.” ― Cormac McCarthy

pitbull

Postby pitbull » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:26 pm

Cataract Lake.

Excellent family hike. Short, relatively flat, lots of variety.
The essence of mountain biking is, and always has been, about riding your bike off road. Lycra/baggy, up/down, fast/slow - whatever. Just ride your bike. ~ Keith Bontrager

pitbull

Postby pitbull » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:10 pm

Also, there's a visitor center in Blue River Plaza, S. Main & Washington Ave, (at least it was there last time I was there), that can provide lots of appropriate options.
The essence of mountain biking is, and always has been, about riding your bike off road. Lycra/baggy, up/down, fast/slow - whatever. Just ride your bike. ~ Keith Bontrager

tgraham1

Postby tgraham1 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:36 pm

Opie wrote:Kid can get distracted with waterfalls and flowers and stuff and not realize how bloody his feet are.

Do you think this would work for wives, too?

JDubKC

Postby JDubKC » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:05 am

Perfect! Thanks for the info.

KBarb

Postby KBarb » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:26 am

Dusting off this thread. My wife and I are headed to Breck this Friday - I can't wait! In years past, we have ridden Sally Barber, Barney Ford, B-Line and the Peaks Trail. We are looking for something a little different this time around. We will be able to drive to trailheads (ie Frisco or Keystone), so we can explore a little outside of Breck. What do you guys think about this list that I put together from other threads on here:

Kenosha/Georgia Pass (an hour drive from Breck. Will need a shuttle to retrieve car)
Gold Hill Trail
Breckenridge to Como (unlikely my wife goes for this one)

Also, does anyone have recommendations for a good map, shuttle service, website, etc? This area has so much to offer that it's kind of hard to navigate everything.

breed007

Postby breed007 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:51 pm

MTB Project seems pretty well built out in that area. Probably the best single source of info.

pitbull

Postby pitbull » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:11 pm

Kenosha/Georgia Pass is a great ride. Can be done as an out and back, in which case you wouldn't need a shuttle.

Like this.

KBarb

Postby KBarb » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:17 pm

Thanks guys. I stumbled across MTB Project today. Looks like a great tool.

I would love to do Kenosha out and back, but no way will the wife sign up for a ride that long.

Mnason
ER Officer/Site Admin

Postby Mnason » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:32 am

With MTB Project, don't forget to download the area in Google Maps as offline so if you don't have network signal so you can still see the maps in MTB Project. Test it also to make sure it is working ;)

JDubKC

Postby JDubKC » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:07 am

I have a map I picked up from a guy at Avalanche a few years back for the "Locals Loop" ride that connects a few of the trails in the area. Its a great ride, starts behind Carter park. No driving needed. Ill try to get it scanned and uploaded today/tomorrow.

Return to “Cheatin' on KC”