Peaks Trail > Peaks No. 45 - Breckenridge

Ride reports from across the country.
JDubKC

Peaks Trail > Peaks No. 45 - Breckenridge

Postby JDubKC » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:44 am

Out and back starting in Breck. Perfect Conditions.

Last edited by JDubKC on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

lewis17web

Re: Peaks Trail > Peaks No. 45 - Breckenridge

Postby lewis17web » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:46 am

Nice pictures. Did you ride any other trails in the area? Heading to Breck next summer for a week with a few days at Vail as well. Lots of good biking out there. I've run the Peaks trail back in college on a cross trip out west but haven't ridden it. Should be a lot of fun.

JDubKC

Postby JDubKC » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:49 am

Did the "locals loop" as well. I go there every year and hit the trails, fantastic! Try Kenosha/Georgia pass trail... will blow your mind! Trailhead is on 285. If you do a google map search for Kenosha Pass, Park County, CO, it will show you the trailhead, on the west side of the road. Best trail I have ever ridden. Drops down onto Tiger Road and you can ride back to Breck. You will need transportation to retreave your car.

Geezer

Postby Geezer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:50 am

Jealous.
Terry - save the trails

Aaron
Location: North Haverbrook, USA. The name conjures up intrigue and romance.

Postby Aaron » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:49 pm

JDubKC wrote:Did the "locals loop" as well. I go there every year and hit the trails, fantastic! Try Kenosha/Georgia pass trail... will blow your mind! Trailhead is on 285. If you do a google map search for Kenosha Pass, Park County, CO, it will show you the trailhead, on the west side of the road. Best trail I have ever ridden. Drops down onto Tiger Road and you can ride back to Breck. You will need transportation to retreave your car.

Just ride up from Breck. Max Mason did it and, well, you gots no excuse. We missed our turn onto the trail and continued to ride up the road for an hour, as high as snow in July, when we realized our mistake.

Like you said one of the best trails ive ever been on.
This signature has been cancelled due to sequestration

mtwmbw

Postby mtwmbw » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:01 pm

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

JDubKC

Postby JDubKC » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:49 pm

Here is a few more.

Doug Long

Postby Doug Long » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:12 am

I've been riding the Peaks trail since the 90's and the local trail group has made vast improvements on the trail over the years. The beetle kill did wipe out portions of the tree cover but only for a short stretch. There is so much good riding in this area. Just be prepared for the altitude and climbing. Kenosha to Georgia Pass and back to Breck is a must. The Colorado trail off of any of the "forks of the Swan" will rip your legs off getting to the top, but the reward is that downhill that seems to go forever.
If your in Colorado, I highly recommend Buffalo Creek. It may be my current favorite trail in Colorado. I think there is some other write ups on BC and the last time I was out there the local trail group was adding a new connector that was going to tie one of the "out and backs" with another section of the Colorado trail. Doug Chambers lives a rocks throw from the trail, and I mean you ride out of his driveway and 50 yards later you are on single track. Doug has a guide service and lodging accommodations and it is wonderful to ride with a local that knows all the lines. I had a blast following Doug through all the rock domes and flow of the single track. BC is still one of those places that is still a bit off the "radar" of the riding crowd that heads west for riding vacations. Put it on your "to do" list while your out there.

Sasquatch1413

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:47 am

I rode it on my fatbike when there was 3-5 feet of snow on the ground. Looked a lot different then :)
My what big wheels you have.

Jester

Postby Jester » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:55 pm

Must be nice to build trail where you don't have to worry about drainage. Some of those sections in your pics would be absolute mudholes if they were here. Were the wood bridges slick?

Doug Long

Postby Doug Long » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:11 am

Peaks trail is not void of drainage issues. There are short sections that still get bogged and the local trail volunteers and Americorp have done some work building elevated freeways over some of those sections. This trail gets so much traffic during the peak of the tourism season and has some areas where there is the typical eroded tread that does not have out slope so it carries or holds water during periods of wet weather. As I indicated in my previous post, the locals have really did a great job of going in and building drains and rerouting some of the worse sections and replacing many of the bridge sections that were deteriorating. You still see some of the old fashioned flex water bars and there is plenty of rock and exposed roots to keep it interesting. When we go to Frisco for vacation each year we stay at a condo that is right across the entrance to the trail. There are also lots of little off shoots that are great for trail running or hiking. It is always hard to come home after spending any amount of time in this area. Still one of my favs!! Got to think it would be an interesting ride on a Fat Bike in the winter. I'd love to see a Fat Bike riding some of the technical rock climbs in the winter, but I'm sure there is always someone out there that has that freaky skill set to do anything on a bike. That is what makes cycling so much fun!

Sasquatch1413

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:36 am

In the winter, it was a flat trail. The snow covers all the tech. The hardest part was riding the narrow packed trail. You had about 8-12" of packed trail, if you wandered off you sunk up to your waist in snow. Was like riding a rough slick skinny for miles.

Doug Long

Postby Doug Long » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:02 am

I haven't jumped on the "Fat Bike" express yet and tend to be slow to adapt to new trends. Heck, I was one of the last people still racing a 26" bike and boy was it a great improvement when I went the 29r route. Sure sounds like fun and I guess we can never have enough bikes to go out and play on. I have to admit that I actually stopped and looked at them briefly the last time I was at the bike shop.

Sasquatch1413

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:05 am

breed007

Postby breed007 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:07 am

Jester wrote:Must be nice to build trail where you don't have to worry about drainage. Some of those sections in your pics would be absolute mudholes if they were here. Were the wood bridges slick?

There are plenty of mud holes on that trail. You just don't get the kind of ruts we do here.

Return to “Cheatin' on KC”