Lake leatherwood

Ride reports from across the country.
gymrat832003

Lake leatherwood

Postby gymrat832003 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:35 pm

Well my original plan was to ride white River valley in branson on Thursday and two rivers on friday. Looks like a storm is going through there this evening and tonight. So i decided lake leatherwood may be best on thursday. I rode slaughter pen the other day otherwise I would go there. I am thinking leatherwood Thursday and see about white River or two rivers on friday if dry. My question is how fast does leatherwood and the other trails dry and does anyone have suggestions for a ride on friday.

Dickweed

Re: Lake leatherwood

Postby Dickweed » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:54 pm

I'm always amazed at how well White River holds up to rain. I've been caught in brief downpours there and still find rideable conditions. The areas with pines are especially impervious, with all the needle shed. Its also been pretty dry (to the point of getting dusty) in that area for a couple weeks, so the ground will soak up whatever moisture this front brings.
Cat 4 material

gymrat832003

Postby gymrat832003 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:27 pm

Probably what I'll do then is call in the morning to see if white River is open. Rode there about four years ago and loved it. Not sure if they keep an eye on the trails like we do here tho.

Sasquatch1413

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:47 am

I've ridden leatherwood with 2" of water flowing down the trails. You really can't hurt it as the soil is almost pure gravel. Ride away.
My what big wheels you have.

gymrat832003

Postby gymrat832003 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:33 am

Ok I am heading to leatherwood and then Friday may hit white river. Thanks guys

mrimmink

Postby mrimmink » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:26 pm

Two rivers updates here ---> https://www.facebook.com/trailspring/

tomy

Postby tomy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:14 am

Sasquatch1413 wrote:I've ridden leatherwood with 2" of water flowing down the trails. You really can't hurt it as the soil is almost pure gravel. Ride away.

I would beg to differ. I've been down there a couple times in the recent past where the trails were impacted by precipitation. Granted, it is usually the lower trails such as Beecham and Leatherwood trails. Even lower sections of Miners Rock, Overlook and Twin Knobs were mushy. Upper sections of stuff were generally good though. If the lower stuff is soft, be prepared to climb up to dry stuff.

Just my two cents...

gymrat832003

Postby gymrat832003 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:32 pm

We hit leatherwood and the initial climb up miners was tough mainly because we just started out. It was all dry except when I fell in the creek lol. We rode quite a bit out there and I loved it. White river had some muddy spots yesterday but was rideable.

Mnason
ER Officer/Site Admin

Postby Mnason » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:51 pm

Have to agree with Zac. Leatherwood is ridable when wet. Ideal? Not really. personally I find that Twin Knobs and the Minors Rock area to be a little less sketchy than the north and northeast side of the lake. The trail around the lake doesn't really damage but traction can be a little sketchy on wet rocks in the tougher spots of course... way better than not riding though!

Return to “Cheatin' on KC”