Camping and float trip

Ride reports from across the country.
Tim Greene

Camping and float trip

Postby Tim Greene » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:32 pm

Question is where is best destination for a weekend of camping with some canoeing thrown in. Going to take son and daughter so needs to be a little family friendly.
--------- __o
------- _`\<,_
------ (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aaron
Location: North Haverbrook, USA. The name conjures up intrigue and romance.

Re: Camping and float trip

Postby Aaron » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:39 am

Bass' River Resort. Ozark Trail goes right thru the resort. Ask for the family area. I think you probably know all this though.

Current River has Pulltite and Round Spring campgrounds and other private campgrounds. I've found the National Park/Scenic Riverway campgrounds are less prone to rowdy behavior.

Jacks fork has Alley Spring campground.

Niangua has lots of options but is known as a party river, but most all ozark rivers are on Saturdays in summer.

Several other lesser known rivers out there, that are equally enjoyable but see less floaters. Big Piney, Black river, Gasconade, Eleven Point.

http://www.missouricanoe.org/

There are several in northern arkansas but I have yet to visit any there. I hear the Buffalo is excellent.
This signature has been cancelled due to sequestration

Muther

Postby Muther » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:33 pm

It has been a while, but I have done the Gasconade. There are two places that run canoe trips and have camping. I don't remember the name of the one we did, but they had cabins, that were nice, if not a bit rustic. That one was pretty family friendly.

The Gasconade is the only river in Missouri flowing south to north. It is pretty empty, if you go midweek, you will almost certainly be the only ones in the river. It has lots of frog water, so be prepared to do a fair amount of paddling.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Anejo

Postby Anejo » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:06 pm

Muther wrote:The Gasconade is the only river in Missouri flowing south to north.

Except for the Niangua, Meramac, Osage and a dozen others...

Muther

Postby Muther » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:02 pm

Anejo wrote:
Muther wrote:The Gasconade is the only river in Missouri flowing south to north.

Thanks.

I couldn't remember what the unique thing was about the Gasconade. It is the longest river wholly inside Missouri. It is floatable through summer. It is also considered to be one of the state's crookedest rivers.

One river I have always wanted to float is the Eleven Point. I have heard that it is one of most scenic rivers anywhere, though I little else about it. If you wanted to do that one, I'd figure out a way to tag along with my brood.

Lots of rivers have a bit of a party atmosphere on the weekends. I mentioned the Gasconade because of its distinct lack of that sort of thing. Bring a lunch and plenty of water, there is also some good fishing obit too
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

watts888

Postby watts888 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:08 am

Way way back when, I did a float trip over by Manhattan KS along the Kansas River. The start point was right by the Linear Trail trailhead off highway 24. Only floated down to Saint George because there was beverages to drink, but could have gone further. In theory, it's the Kansas River. After a good rain, could ride it all the way here. I'd only want to do it after a good rain though. There were a lot of shallow wide areas where the canoe would hit bottom.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

tomy

Postby tomy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:21 am

Anejo wrote:

:lol:

Ogar

Postby Ogar » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:28 pm

My favorite is the Northfork. Crystal clear spring fed water. We just went this past weekend. Sunburst Ranch is the place to stay. Can be a little tricky at times for newer canoers. We put the kids in sit-on-top kayaks and they had no problems though. Some of the adults didn't fair so good. There's no reason to name any names...
Nice pour shitballs! -- Scott Cotter, 2013 Bikes -n- Brew

Tim Greene

Postby Tim Greene » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:26 pm

That's half the fun of a float trip. If you stay dry you had no fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--------- __o

------- _`\<,_

------ (*)/ (*)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to “Cheatin' on KC”