Salida, Colorado with some drone footage

Ride reports from across the country.
Deepseachris

Salida, Colorado with some drone footage

Postby Deepseachris » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:09 am

https://vimeo.com/223330848

I was able to get the drone out and try my hand at some filming.

JDubKC

Re: Salida, Colorado with some drone footage

Postby JDubKC » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:43 am

Last edited by JDubKC on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

TheRisingSun

Postby TheRisingSun » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:31 pm

I'm headed to Salida on the 12th. Can you recommend any good trails to hit up?

JDubKC

Postby JDubKC » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:14 am

We had two days of riding there. We rode Sunshine Kitty in Penitente Canyon just north of Del Norte on day one, 10 miles. A great trail to get acclimated. This is not quite an hour drive south, well worth it. If you head down 285 turn west on Road G (its paved), this will take you to a non-pay parking area (as seen on the drone video).
I really enjoyed this trail, awesome scenery, huge round boulders, really fun to ride those..., just a fun, new experience on a MTN Bike. Also has a place to see where the wagon wheels left ruts in the rocks from traveling the Oregon Trail, a bit of history if you are in to that sort of thing... or just a good place to take a breather.

Day 2 we did the Cottonwood Tour in Salida. You can start this ride from town. A bit over a 20 miles loop that connects most of the trails in the Arkansas Hills Mountain Range next to town. This gives you most of what Salida has to offer, a lot of fun, like riding on the set of an old western. Twisty, tight trails. Didn't stop to take any photos on Lil' Rattler or North backbone as they were too much fun to stop.. After these there is about a 3 mile climb on a :oops: gravel road... but it goes quick. At the top you come to the Rumba Trail / Salsa Trail entrance. I would say its an 85% downhill blast for 10 miles, just make sure the person you are riding with doesn't snap their chain ring on the way down :wink:.

https://vimeo.com/223651789

Both of these are on MTB Project. Good free trail maps are available at Sub-Culture Cyclery in town.
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7014781
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/6309603
Last edited by JDubKC on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

TheRisingSun

Postby TheRisingSun » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Cool, thank you. Had the Cottonwood tour on my list. The Sunshine Kitty might just a good start as well. Did you consider the Monarch crest trail?

JDubKC

Postby JDubKC » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:10 pm

We didn't plan on riding Monarch, but it was closed when we were there due to wet/mud.

TheRisingSun

Postby TheRisingSun » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:43 pm

My first thought was the Crest trail, definitely rethinking that in hopes of working in a few different trails rather then on long day.

baistrup

Postby baistrup » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:54 am

I thought Salida was great fun. Little rainbow is a pretty good warm up loop just south of town. Did the Salsa, Rumba and cottonwood twice, hit different bottom trails, all good. Had my wife drop me off at the trailhead, otherwise the uphill would take at least 2-3 hours. They have shuttle service at the LBS.

JDubKC

Postby JDubKC » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:23 am

I believe 2 of the 3 bike shops have a shuttle service if you'd rather not climb. But missing North backbone would be a crime. (no more rhymes now I mean it...., anybody want a peanut?) Damn Princess Bride!

Geezer

Postby Geezer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:07 am

JDubKC wrote:...., anybody want a peanut?) Damn Princess Bride!

Ha, ha!!! Semi-obscure reference. :lol:

Terry
Terry - save the trails

Return to “Cheatin' on KC”