Glendo State Park, Wyoming

Ride reports from across the country.
mtwmbw

Glendo State Park, Wyoming

Postby mtwmbw » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:46 pm

Took a trip to Wyoming to ride some. Went to Curt Gowdy State Park first, I think that is covered in prior posts.

Wanted to hit something new. My nephew has a trail building company based in Laramie and got a contract a couple years ago to build some of the trail at Glendo State Park. So we hit up Glendo for two days. This spot is a hidden gem of the west. Turns out they have a lot of trail there and are building more. And it is awesome.

Glendo is a large reservoir about 100 miles north of Cheyenne (11 hours from KC). It has a ton of campsites, the Two Moon campground is clearly the best for mountain bikers. We found a beautiful site on a rim a couple hundred feet above the lake. Relatively quiet and great sunsets. This was on a Monday and Tuesday. I have a strong suspicion that on a summer weekend it could get crowded with boaters and a louder crowd. Unless that is your thing I would shoot for a weekday. The campgrounds did not have showers, but we found a a nice beach down by the dam for a cold beer and a dip in the lake. There is a restaurant and bar in Glendo, but not a lot of other stuff. You are about 30 miles from a larger town (Douglas)

The trails were really great. Unlike Curt Gowdy the trail surface is grippy dirt (not gravelly/loose). There is plenty of rock to ride on. There was a great combo of rolling dirt, rock gardens, technical descents and ascents and great scenery. And Rattle Snake Rim had a rattle snake for us. We were constantly recalling trails we knew as we rode. This was like the best of Swope, BRP, Switchgrass and other trails and on a large scale.

Lawson_Raider

Re: Glendo State Park, Wyoming

Postby Lawson_Raider » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:15 am

Really nice pics! Makes me want to take that trip out west!
This thread likely ends here.

Olathejoe

Re: Glendo State Park, Wyoming

Postby Olathejoe » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 am

Those are nice pictures, but why in the world is there a state park in Wyoming named after a sportscaster? Or is there another, more famous Curt Gowdy that I'm not aware of? Wikipedia says he's from Wyoming, so I guess it's named after him. No offense to Curt, I'm sure he was a great guy, but you would think Wyoming would have produced someone a little more state park-name worthy.
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

Return to “Cheatin' on KC”